Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Suggestions (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Late 80's Pontiac Fiero LS1 (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46856)

Vettezuki 03-05-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 111928)
It would be a great little motor th throw in there. Didn't they have a V6 and turbo I4 options for the Fiero?

VERY vague memory, I think they had a V6 at one point. Don't know about turbo. But an ecotec would work. Heck the Ford TT V6 would package well.

But what are the dynamics? I know that was supposed to be an inexpensive working man's sports car I guess, but was it all show/poser, or did the chassis have good geometry, stiffness, etc.

blackax 03-05-2013 04:16 PM

They put the 4.0L northstar in those car's all the time. A SBC will work as well. Quadcam v6 is a common swap as well along with supercharged 3800's

They came with a IronDuke 4 banger or a 2.8L V6 stock.

kdracer73 03-05-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 111916)
That's not an LS1 but still crazy how a V8 fits in there. The stock 4 banger looks cramped in there, would not want to work on that.

Grabbed the wrong pic !

They where set up pretty good. You could undo some of the sub-frame bolts and swing it down. The composite camshafts gears where a big problem in the 4 cyl. The gear was molded to the cam and they had wear issues. Had to drop the motor down to pull the cam with gear attached...

Damian 03-06-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 111938)
VERY vague memory, I think they had a V6 at one point. Don't know about turbo. But an ecotec would work. Heck the Ford TT V6 would package well.

But what are the dynamics? I know that was supposed to be an inexpensive working man's sports car I guess, but was it all show/poser, or did the chassis have good geometry, stiffness, etc.

I think the Ecotec would be great over all. Can make good amount of power and still be fairly easy to work on.

That's a good question, never even sat in one. Might be my next canyon carver actually, always been one of those old cars I always wanted. I even seen two chicks driving a really clean one two weeks ago. They thought I was weird when I told them they had a very nice car.

Damian 03-07-2013 06:54 PM

I looked up Fiero on autotrader and they still go for over $5k. Didn't expect that.

Shaolin Crane 03-08-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 112070)
I looked up Fiero on autotrader and they still go for over $5k. Didn't expect that.

Desirability for kits cars mostly, not the cars themselves.

BADDASSC6 03-09-2013 01:27 PM

It's going to handle like shit still.

Shaolin Crane 03-09-2013 09:23 PM

Agree

Boosten ya 03-28-2013 10:34 PM

My friend had one with the 4 banger it was a fun car and quick but some coils would make it handle like a go cart. With the right wheel tire package. The ecotec would be great. Full bolt ons, cams, on e85 that car would destroy some shit. Inside is cramped but roomie.

Vettezuki 03-28-2013 10:45 PM

Cramped but roomy?