Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   B.S. Lounge (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What OS do you prefer? (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40848)

blackax 07-12-2012 12:07 PM

What OS do you prefer?

What OS do you prefer on a day to day basic?

Is that because of work or just ease of use?

Vettezuki 07-12-2012 01:03 PM

Windows 7 primary for work
OSX secondary
I've farted around with Linux since early RedHat distros. When Motorgen was colocated it was running on a Linux box I put together

I have no real preference, just adapted to each as tools. My first OS was BASIC on a Commodore 64!

blackax 07-12-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 100235)
Windows 7 primary for work
OSX secondary
I've farted around with Linux since early RedHat distros. When Motorgen was colocated it was running on a Linux box I put together

I have no real preference, just adapted to each as tools. My first OS was BASIC on a Commodore 64!

I'm a linux guy for work (RHEL/Centos) and at home (Debian) Almost all of my devices run linux (laptops,PDA,Phones, Cable Box's etc.)

I have one windows 7 box for games. (I think i have a VM of xp running on my server too but that doesn't count)

Damian 07-12-2012 04:10 PM

Never used Linux but always heard it was the best. Windows and OSx are almost the same, minor differences. But for me it comes down to OSx and virus protection, can't beat it. My only complaint about OSx is that they don't want you doin any kind of "customizations" to it at all. With that beig said, my 4S and wife's 3GS are both jailbroken and I might do the same to our iPad2.

blackax 07-12-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 100243)
Never used Linux but always heard it was the best. Windows and OSx are almost the same, minor differences. But for me it comes down to OSx and virus protection, can't beat it. My only complaint about OSx is that they don't want you doin any kind of "customizations" to it at all. With that beig said, my 4S and wife's 3GS are both jailbroken and I might do the same to our iPad2.

I tryed to get my friends/family to use Linux but never again. I love it and support it at my work, it just isn't usable by an end user.

I have a few technical reasons why I don't like OS X but its a little to nerdy to explain here...

If I could get away with only ever useing a command line I would be a very happy person.

Vettezuki 07-12-2012 05:12 PM

Ubuntu is the best end user distro for Linux. My mom put it on an older PC and loved it. But on the whole Linux is a professional's OS for IT related functions for the most part.

OSX and Windows are substantially different IMO.

fiveohwblow 07-12-2012 05:56 PM

OSx

blackax 07-12-2012 08:43 PM

I can't stand the way ubuntu is going. The UI is crap, they are making the wrong choice to go away from Grub2. They are turning into Redhat in all the wrong ways.

Shaolin Crane 07-12-2012 09:08 PM

Dos

Damian 07-12-2012 11:48 PM

At least with Windows, all data logging programs are compatible with it. As well as tuning programs.