Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   4x4 and Off Road (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   New Brakes all of them! (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35092)

BADDASSC6 12-23-2011 02:55 PM

New Brakes all of them!

So, the brakes on the F-350 ate themselves. I need new rotors, pads and at least one new caliper. I started on the job and saw that one of the pistons was bent. While compressing it the piston cracked. Not a huge deal except that I'm driving to AZ today. Looks like I'm taking the RAM. How hard is it to replace the rotors on a 4x4? They definitely do not slip off like every other car I have ever done.

Vettezuki 12-23-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 89665)
. . .They definitely do not slip off like every other car I have ever done.

They just have a castle nut over the hub or something like that right? If their stuck on the hub, just whack'm with a dead blow hammer and they should pop off fine I think.

94cobra69ss396 12-23-2011 10:09 PM

I think it depends on the hub. If I remember correctly I think that Phil's FJ40 needed a special tool to remove the hub but Phil could tell you.

Shaolin Crane 12-23-2011 10:49 PM

Nope, cotter pin through a thread cap, remove conical bearing, remove entire assembly, hub, studs rotor are all one assembly on the dually. I can get you a bitchen price on everything. Last time i replaced a caliper on my dads truck it was like $45-60. IIRC i even got the rotors for around $100 each but that was 4-5 years ago when i replaced them on my dually.

Vettezuki 12-24-2011 12:25 AM

Don't forget to put the bearing back in. . . :inout:

BADDASSC6 12-24-2011 07:21 AM

Dude, it's a big job. I found a YouTube how to video. Fuck me. I need a special tool too. Fuck me sideways. Oh well. I may take it to the dealership. The autohobby shop is pissed because its too big. I'm glad I still had the dodge because I drove to as yesterday for christmas. Anyways, thanks for the help fellas.

Shaolin Crane 12-24-2011 11:49 AM

Well if you want me to check on parts prices i'm sure we can work something out for me installing them too :huh:

Shaolin Crane 12-24-2011 12:02 PM

I keep forgetting its a 4x4, you'll need to remove the hub on the front, four or 5 bolt going through from the back side of the steering knuckle, most likely it will be stuck on, if you need new rotors grab your biggest sledge hammer and wack those fuckers off.

The backs arent much fun either, though its a full floating rear so its a tad easier, remove the 8 cap bolts on the axle end, remove cap, remove big ass nut, remove caliper, remove axle, remove rotor, and reverse order.

Or something like that, pretty close though but its been a while. You'll be able to figure it out. No special tools should be needed

enkeivette 12-24-2011 07:14 PM

Is the Vette so bad that you can't drive it on the street? Don't you have a set of street tires?