Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engines, Transimissions, Suspension, etc. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Need feedback on engine choices (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6168)

Mach1Daddy 07-29-2009 10:32 PM

Need feedback on engine choices

Hi , I'm Adams dad. I am looking to buy an engine to replace the 351 in my 72 Mach. I am looking at two engines. Would appreciate any advice or suggestions from the motorgen members. My two choices are:

1.Rebuilt 429, no intake

2. Used 460 out of Lincoln

These sales end in the next couple of days so I would appreciate feedback as soon as possible. Thanks

1972 Mustang Mach 1

Leedom 07-29-2009 10:37 PM

Finally got my dad on here. Help him out guys. Some day when the car is running better I am going to drag him to the meets and cruises.

Vettezuki 07-29-2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1Daddy (Post 28292)
Hi , I'm Adams dad. I am looking to buy an engine to replace the 351 in my 72 Mach. I am looking at two engines. Would appreciate any advice or suggestions from the motorgen members. My two choices are:

1.Rebuilt 429, no intake

2. Used 460 out of Lincoln

These sales end in the next couple of days so I would appreciate feedback as soon as possible. Thanks

1972 Mustang Mach 1

Welcome aboard!

How do you intend to use the engine when complete?
What is your approximate budget for FINISHED and installed engine?

The first one above looks pretty built at an appealing price, but the cam looks pretty large. That engine is going to lope fairly hard at lower revs I think. It would want to be revved to make it's power. Think screamer.

The second one is going to have an unknown number of issues and therefore costs to finish, not to mention time. I have a friend who used exactly this block as the basis for his Cobra kit and it was an absolute beast when completed.

For your reference, you might want to check Ford Performance Solutions. They're only about 10 miles from you and sell high performance ready to drop motors.

http://www.f-p-s.com/

I'm sure Ron will be on here in no time will give you a lot more usable info.

BRUTAL64 07-30-2009 09:13 AM

You know my thoughts on this. I've done a few 71 - 73 stangs with 429s. I like this engine combo in a light vehicle. 429s will rev to 7,000 rpm with big cam -no problem.
Low end torque is not brutal:sm_laughing:,

The 460 is a good motor also. It has a longer stroke than the 429 and the same bore. Either will work well. 460 has brutal:sm_laughing: low end torque. It's not a bad thing --just hard on tires.

Remember the 71-73 mustangs came with 429s.:)

I have a set of early 429 close cambered heads and 4 bl intake at my shop that I have had for 25+ years.:judge: Just cause closed chamber is the best and are very hard to come by.

Being either are early 70s style it comes to the heads. If either one has the small chambers then it's a toss up. If one is open chamber and one is closed chamber, the closed chamber is the one to get.

Remember our little talk about FORD heads at the park?

BRUTAL64 07-30-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 28296)
Welcome aboard!

How do you intend to use the engine when complete?
What is your approximate budget for FINISHED and installed engine?

The first one above looks pretty built at an appealing price, but the cam looks pretty large. That engine is going to lope fairly hard at lower revs I think. It would want to be revved to make it's power. Think screamer.

The second one is going to have an unknown number of issues and therefore costs to finish, not to mention time. I have a friend who used exactly this block as the basis for his Cobra kit and it was an absolute beast when completed.

For your reference, you might want to check Ford Performance Solutions. They're only about 10 miles from you and sell high performance ready to drop motors.

http://www.f-p-s.com/

I'm sure Ron will be on here in no time will give you a lot more usable info.

You forgot about me--did you??:mad::nutkick:

Vettezuki 07-30-2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 28326)
You forgot about me--did you??:mad::nutkick:

Brain fart.

joedls 07-30-2009 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 28296)

Why do you say that cam is large? It seems like a pretty mild cam to me. It should idle just fine.

The 429 looks like a better choice to me.

94cobra69ss396 07-30-2009 10:53 AM

Joel is right the cam is small. I looked it up on Summit's website and it only has 204 in./214 ex. @ .050 with a 112 LSA. In a 429 it will probably have a smooth idle with a ton of low end torque. The operating range shows 1500-4000 so it will only pull to about 5000 which will let the engine live a long time.

I don't know much about BBF and have never worked on them but if I were buying one of these I would definately go with the 429. Then pick up a dual plane intake for it. The Weiand Stealth model 8012 is the least expensive on Summit for just under $200.

Leedom 07-30-2009 10:58 AM

My dad can afford either choice. I think he is trying to stay $3K or under for the engine. His stang will be a weekend cruiser with the occasional spanking of his kid and his big mouth (me). :crutches: He wants something fairly mild, if a 429 or 460 can be called mild. He is not looking for a lopy cammed motor. He wants something with a little lope at idle and something that can scare the neighbors when stomped on. Originally he was thinking about 400 HP/TQ with his 351, but then started thinking what would a 429/460 be like? Personally I like his thinking.

Vettezuki 07-30-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 28333)
Why do you say that cam is large? It seems like a pretty mild cam to me. It should idle just fine.

This seems to be the cam in question.

Can we call it on the mild side of larger, or bigger side of mild? ;) It's certainly bigger than any OEM cam I can think of. An interesting question might be, what was the size(s) of the original Mach1 cam?

You're right though it's not a screamer, but 112 LSA is going to lope a bit. Whether that's ok for regular street driving is a matter of personal taste.