Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   RX-Snake (Project Car) (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Supporting RX-Snake (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1493)

Vettezuki 08-04-2009 10:25 AM

enkeivette came over last night and picked up the wiring harness which he managed to sell. Bit by bit we'll get some money together. Thanks Adam. :thumbs_up:

Vettezuki 08-17-2009 09:32 PM

Went to the scrap yard today and got $150, thanks bird! This is literally exactly what we need for getting the bearing plate repaired.

big2bird 08-27-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 29743)
Went to the scrap yard today and got $150, thanks bird! This is literally exactly what we need for getting the bearing plate repaired.

No problemo. We need to see Hal, Pete at Tops, and maybe Terry Okuda for some free paint. I bet we could get some if your not too pickey about the color.

Vettezuki 08-27-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 30589)
No problemo. We need to see Hal, Pete at Tops, and maybe Terry Okuda for some free paint. I bet we could get some if your not too pickey about the color.

Actually, we've got a good hookup on paint, but at least the rad and gauages will be very beneficial. Hopefully we can work something out. First I want to get the blower back in working order, then the trans bits, then the rest of the engine stuff so it can be reassembled. At that point we'll have an engine/trans and I can turn attentiont to the rear, then suspension, wheels and tires. And finally complete the body paint interior, wiring.

enkeivette 08-27-2009 04:01 PM

We need to paint the engine bay before you install the engine, if you're going to cry about color matching the engine bay. Which I assume you will. :rolleyes::sm_laughing:

Vettezuki 08-27-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 30640)
We need to paint the engine bay before you install the engine, if you're going to cry about color matching the engine bay. Which I assume you will. :rolleyes::sm_laughing:

I don't cry, I demand. Probably there will be some test fits in an out a time or two before going to paint.

big2bird 08-28-2009 08:53 PM

ben,
I'll have some more scrap metal for you Sunday. Only cost me $4,200.:barf: My rooftop A/C quit.:suicide: I have to scrap the old one. There IS alot of aluminum.;) Maybe when we see Chuck again, you can pick it up.:D

Vettezuki 08-29-2009 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 30809)
ben,
I'll have some more scrap metal for you Sunday. Only cost me $4,200.:barf: My rooftop A/C quit.:suicide: I have to scrap the old one. There IS alot of aluminum.;) Maybe when we see Chuck again, you can pick it up.:D

Sounds mui bueno. :)

Vettezuki 09-14-2009 01:08 AM

Picked up a bunch more scrap from bird today and sold the 13b + 5 speed. The guy we sold the motor was darned interesting. Retired engineer living mostly in the Philippines, he tinkers and adapts these rotaries for aviation use. We're going to get some pics and upload them for your viewing pleasure.

This is one of the things I really like about projects like this, you get to meet some interesting people while having fun.

big2bird 09-14-2009 06:52 PM

I went by Chucks today. he still hasn't done the welding, since he is swamped. I suspect this week I'll get it to John, and see if he is up to the task.

big2bird 01-16-2010 11:51 PM

I have some more scrap, and more coming next week. Doug also donated a portable air tank for the track.:bigthumbsup:

BRUTAL64 01-17-2010 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 42811)
I have some more scrap, and more coming next week. Doug also donated a portable air tank for the track.:bigthumbsup:

When are you ever up this late--I thought you were old.:rolleyes:

Vettezuki 01-17-2010 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 42811)

As always, many thanks. I actually have a daughter tank already, so unless he wants to keep it or give it to another home I'll sell it for some project money. Or I'll sell mine if this one is better. :)

Also, I'm in negotiation with a potential site sponsor that might help with a couple bits, but he negotiates like I do. . . so it takes a little time :)

Douglas Mariani 01-18-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 42813)
As always, many thanks. I actually have a daughter tank already, so unless he wants to keep it or give it to another home I'll sell it for some project money. Or I'll sell mine if this one is better. :)

Also, I'm in negotiation with a potential site sponsor that might help with a couple bits, but he negotiates like I do. . . so it takes a little time :)

See which one is better and sell the other for some project money:thumbs_up:

I also have some scrap metal to donate

Leedom 02-08-2010 10:55 PM

I went over to my cousins house for the Super Bowl and got to talking with her husband in the garage. he works for the automotive side of 3M. he gave me about $400 worth of body filler, a nice mask and a few other goodies. These will be given to Ben next time I see him. If we need to use anything of 3M's on the project let me know as I think he can get us stuff for cheap.

Vettezuki 02-08-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 44562)
I went over to my cousins house for the Super Bowl and got to talking with her husband in the garage. he works for the automotive side of 3M. he gave me about $400 worth of body filler, a nice mask and a few other goodies. These will be given to Ben next time I see him. If we need to use anything of 3M's on the project let me know as I think he can get us stuff for cheap.

Word!

enkeivette 02-09-2010 10:24 PM

Ben did you pick up that Fusor from Bird? If not maybe you should see if Adam can score some metal to fiberglass glue from 3M.

Vettezuki 02-09-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 44651)
Ben did you pick up that Fusor from Bird? If not maybe you should see if Adam can score some metal to fiberglass glue from 3M.

I'll be talking to bird this coming weekend and will get it at that time.

ZexGX 02-16-2010 09:43 PM

Give me a txt if you guys need an extra hand with this project on one of these weekends... Sean has my number, and I can PM it to anybody who doesn't.

Vettezuki 03-31-2010 06:37 PM

As some of you guys know, the reason this got set a little on the back burner was my wife leaving her previous gig a year ago and us starting our own biz. All in all that's going pretty well, but we had to pump in a small fortune to get it rolling. However, taking the normal huge loss for a new business lead to a rather large return this year. We still need to keep capitalization high on that business, but I might be able to bleed off a little to get some momentum on this project again. :thumbs_up:

I have a tendency to bite off a lot, but I always finish what I start.

Leedom 03-31-2010 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 48409)
As some of you guys know, the reason this got set a little on the back burner was my wife leaving her previous gig a year ago and us starting our own biz. All in all that's going pretty well, but we had to pump in a small fortune to get it rolling. However, taking the normal huge loss for a new business lead to a rather large return this year. We still need to keep capitalization high on that business, but I might be able to bleed off a little to get some momentum on this project again. :thumbs_up:

I have a tendency to bite off a lot, but I always finish what I start.

I need to get up to your place one of these weekends and get soem more work in on it.

Vettezuki 06-04-2010 07:50 PM

Wish Me Luck

I'll be meeting with somebody on Monday in effort to get some sponsorship goodies.

DeathCult and I started working on it again this last week. Money is sill tight, but I'm gonna do what I can.

enkeivette 06-04-2010 09:52 PM

I'm down to come next week sometime. The week is better for me, the weekends are usually pretty packed.

Vettezuki 06-04-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 52831)
I'm down to come next week sometime. The week is better for me, the weekends are usually pretty packed.

We'll be working next Tuesday and Thursday. Be there.

enkeivette 06-05-2010 02:24 AM

Be there? Haha, or what?! Gonna punish me?

Vettezuki 06-05-2010 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 52839)
Be there? Haha, or what?! Gonna punish me?

Or you'll hurt my feelings.

Vettezuki 06-07-2010 12:53 AM

We'll be working this Tuesday and Thursday. Come on by in the late afternoon or evening if you want to help or just check it out. We'll be doing front and rear bumper work, but there's plenty of odds and ins that need attention. If you plan to work, come ready to get dirty.

Vettezuki 06-07-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 52828)
I'll be meeting with somebody on Monday in effort to get some sponsorship goodies.. . .

Looking promising :)

Vettezuki 06-09-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 52958)
Looking promising :)

Done. I'll be picking up a full clutch setup (Pressure Plate, Disc, Flywheel, Throwout Bearing, and Master Cylinder) from McLeod either later this week or early next week. :nana2:

94cobra69ss396 06-09-2010 12:59 PM

Great! How's the blower coming along?

Vettezuki 06-09-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 53094)
Great! How's the blower coming along?

About 80% repaired. Welded, with the mating surfaces milled. One part (a bushing for the snout) was actually bent all to hell and has to be remanufactured from scratch. This is something they can do. But the shop has actually been so busy they had to reloacate to a larger location, so $0 projects for cousins get a back burner location. In short it's coming along, but in a pause at the moment.

Depending on other money stuff I'll get the internals balanced, pistons cut, and buy new bearings ASAP. Then we can actually put the bottom end back together. A good step.

enkeivette 06-09-2010 09:20 PM

Didn't the motor only have a few thousand miles? Take a page from the book of Enkei and throw it back together as is. Replace only messed up bearings and the rings if they're not in good shape.

Vettezuki 06-09-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 53134)
Didn't the motor only have a few thousand miles? Take a page from the book of Enkei and throw it back together as is. Replace only messed up bearings and the rings if they're not in good shape.

Piston tops have to be fly cut for the much larger valves in the new heads. Removing material from pistons means re-balancing internals in Vettezuki's book. While the motor is fully apart, replacing slightly worn bearings is in Ron's book.

BRUTAL64 06-10-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 53136)
Piston tops have to be fly cut for the much larger valves in the new heads. Removing material from pistons means re-balancing internals in Vettezuki's book. While the motor is fully apart, replacing slightly worn bearings is in Ron's book.

With old bearings the "crush" may not be as it should. :rolleyes: