Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Guns guns guns!!! (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037)

enkeivette 01-02-2009 01:08 PM

Guns guns guns!!!

I'm looking at buying an HVLP gun. The one that I've been using is a no name and I want to step it up for the base coats and clear coats.

In my price range, I've been looking at used Satas and Iwatas which are... still out of my price range. I can buy a new Devilbiss Finishline (which I've heard good things about) for $120. And I can buy a new Sharpe Finex 3000 for about $90. And to top that off, I can buy a new Sharpe 300 (which I assume is the older model) for about $67 shipped.

Can anyone compare and contrast these for me? Woudl I be making a mistake buying one of these?

SeanPlunk 01-02-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 12332)
I'm looking at buying an HVLP gun. The one that I've been using is a no name and I want to step it up for the base coats and clear coats.

In my price range, I've been looking at used Satas and Iwatas which are... still out of my price range. I can buy a new Devilbiss Finishline (which I've heard good things about) for $120. And I can buy a new Sharpe Finex 3000 for about $90. And to top that off, I can buy a new Sharpe 300 (which I assume is the older model) for about $67 shipped.

Can anyone compare and contrast these for me? Woudl I be making a mistake buying one of these?

I don't know anything about painting, but I'm really looking forward to learning about it when we do the project car. I'd love to get to the point where I could shoot my own car every 3-5 years.

enkeivette 01-02-2009 01:46 PM

I will teach you grasshopper, but first, you must wash and wax all of my cars. Ahahahaha.

kwplot34 01-02-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 12338)
I will teach you grasshopper, but first, you must wash and wax all of my cars. Ahahahaha.

Don't wax,it will make the paint do weird things :mad:

I have a Devilbiss Dr D gun for the base and clear,but i have been trying out one of those Turbine powered units,i have used it for thr epoxy and the 2k primer,i am not a professional at all,in fact this is my first time,but the unit has worked very well.

SeanPlunk 01-02-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 12338)

You want me to wax your Vette right now? I'm not sure how glossy the primer would get... :thumbs_up:

enkeivette 01-03-2009 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 12368)
You want me to wax your Vette right now? I'm not sure how glossy the primer would get... :thumbs_up:

That would probably ruin weeks of work...

BRUTAL64 01-03-2009 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 12368)

You can wax my primer all you like.:smack:

GreyStroker 02-17-2009 03:48 PM

Eastwood

As far as guns go, I've been doing a little research (by little, I mean just that) and also saw a great article in Car Craft regarding painting your own rides and all the work and supplies needed to prep and paint your ride. I have the article if anyone interested. Anyways, the article talked either piece-mealing your supplies- going to a few to different sources to get this and that and whatever to get the prep/paint materials, or one-stop shopping. Aside from a select few, most supplies, including guns, primer, paint, etc. were ordered through Eastwood (eastwoodco.com). Order up a free catalog and it's really helpful as far as outlining what guns do what, etc.
I'm planning on stripping and painting (black primer or similar) my '29 Ford myself using Eastwood product.

Vettezuki 02-17-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyStroker (Post 15556)
As far as guns go, I've been doing a little research (by little, I mean just that) and also saw a great article in Car Craft regarding painting your own rides and all the work and supplies needed to prep and paint your ride. I have the article if anyone interested. Anyways, the article talked either piece-mealing your supplies- going to a few to different sources to get this and that and whatever to get the prep/paint materials, or one-stop shopping. Aside from a select few, most supplies, including guns, primer, paint, etc. were ordered through Eastwood (eastwoodco.com). Order up a free catalog and it's really helpful as far as outlining what guns do what, etc.
I'm planning on stripping and painting (black primer or similar) my '29 Ford myself using Eastwood product.

I think kamelongt here can hook you up with supplies if I remember correctly. He can also answer enkeivette's question about guns I think.

kameleongt 02-17-2009 05:47 PM

its mainly preference as to what your more comfortable with I have sprayed with cheap-o guns and expensive right now im currently using a sata rp3000 and haven't had any issues. This is the gun enkievette used to spray his car acouple months ago and he loved the gun. I can get you a few prices on any kind of gun or any supplies sand paper or anything else. let me know. . .

`Art