Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Project Cars (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Latest work done. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=537)

Leedom 07-28-2008 06:18 PM

Latest work done.

Well this weekend the work continued on the Mach. Finally installed my Steeda Tri-ax shifter on saturday. I love it. The shifts are firmer and a little bit shorter. The position is a little more comfortable as well.
On sunday I installed the spring isolators that the previous owner took off to drop the car lower. I hated how low it was, I scraped over almost everything and hit the bump stops all the time. It took about 5.5hrs. The back was a piece of cake once we disconnected everything (thanks for the advice Mike). The front, well... was a pain in the butt. I had Sean's help for the driver side (stop laughing everyone, Sean actually helped). The springs were fighting me everywhich way. Well once done, the car sat about 1" higher. I figure the suspension will settle a little so if I get about .5" to .75" I will be happy. I love how the suspension feels now. Mike even pointed out that my stabalizing shock was not even bolted to the axel. Just another thing that the previous ower failed to give me when I bought the car. Oh well, for the deal I got I can't complain. Looking forward to the Motorgen cruise this weekend now!!!

Vettezuki 07-28-2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordfreak (Post 4539)
Well this weekend the work continued on the Mach. Finally installed my Steeda Tri-ax shifter on saturday. I love it. The shifts are firmer and a little bit shorter. The position is a little more comfortable as well.
On sunday I installed the spring isolators that the previous owner took off to drop the car lower. I hated how low it was, I scraped over almost everything and hit the bump stops all the time. It took about 5.5hrs. The back was a piece of cake once we disconnected everything (thanks for the advice Mike). The front, well... was a pain in the butt. I had Sean's help for the driver side (stop laughing everyone, Sean actually helped). The springs were fighting me everywhich way. Well once done, the car sat about 1" higher. I figure the suspension will settle a little so if I get about .5" to .75" I will be happy. I love how the suspension feels now. Mike even pointed out that my stabalizing shock was not even bolted to the axel. Just another thing that the previous ower failed to give me when I bought the car. Oh well, for the deal I got I can't complain. Looking forward to the Motorgen cruise this weekend now!!!

I always forget what a pain in the ass most anything related to shocks are. Unfortunately I usually remember when starting a new job.

SeanPlunk 07-28-2008 09:14 PM

Doing the shifter was fun - doing the shocks was not. The front's were really difficult. The back wasn't too bad once Mike showed us how to get the rear end low enough to do it. I really want a ride to see what kind of difference the isolators make. I bet it's a lot more livable.

Leedom 07-28-2008 10:34 PM

I love the ride now. The suspension is still stiffer than stock, but now there is some give. I can actually park on Sean's driveway and not scrape the front chin spoiler. I can go over spendbumps faster than 6" per hour. :thumbs_up: I ordered the bolt for $4.50 and the rubber cup holder insert. Hopefully I will have the bolt before Saturday.

Vettezuki 07-28-2008 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordfreak (Post 4547)
I love the ride now. The suspension is still stiffer than stock, but now there is some give. I can actually park on Sean's driveway and not scrape the front chin spoiler. I can go over spendbumps faster than 6" per hour. :thumbs_up: I ordered the bolt for $4.50 and the rubber cup holder insert. Hopefully I will have the bolt before Saturday.

Cup Holder FTW. I don't remember what chief designer, I think it was for Renault, who said, "The only thing we know about the American market is that they require cup holders."

enkeivette 07-29-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 4543)
I always forget what a pain in the ass most anything related to shocks are. Unfortunately I usually remember when starting a new job.

:confused:

Vettezuki 07-29-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 4562)
:confused:

I meant springs. Struts are the least pleasant in my experience. The front coil springs on the Vette weren't TOO bad to change, but not fun.

enkeivette 07-29-2008 03:14 PM

The vette was so easy! Try taking coils off of I Beams. :suicide:

The rear spring can be kind of a head scratcher though.

enkeivette 07-29-2008 03:17 PM

Adam, you just need to get air bags man! :D

Vettezuki 07-29-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 4574)
The vette was so easy! Try taking coils off of I Beams. :suicide:

The rear spring can be kind of a head scratcher though.

I've done them on a Protege 5 and a Buick something or other. The Vette was the easiest, even though you have to disconnect the lower control arm. The struts on the other two cars were a bit*h.