Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   SoCal Car Shows, Meets, Cruises, Racing (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Orange County International Raceway Reunion (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32451)

kdracer73 09-28-2011 06:17 AM

Orange County International Raceway Reunion

I think I will have to call in sick ! I went to OCIR as a kid , and we could hear the cars from our house in Lake Forest back in the day.

Vettezuki 09-28-2011 01:44 PM

I've heard many a story about that place.

SkunkLookingCar 09-28-2011 06:28 PM

It would be great to have an Orange County 1/4 mile. I often feel like I was born i n the wrong generation. Maybe instead of looking back I should look forward...meh.

SoCalC55 09-28-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkunkLookingCar (Post 83897)
It would be great to have an Orange County 1/4 mile. I often feel like I was born i n the wrong generation. Maybe instead of looking back I should look forward...meh.

Agreed! So many stories from my dad about his good times on that track

kdracer73 09-30-2011 08:53 PM

This event has been canceled.

Here is the e-mail I got from them:

Yes paul, I'm very sorry to have inconvienenced you, due to the fact that there is so many automotive events going on that time of year, like SEMA, the final races for the NHRA heritage series, the CHRR, divisional races, NHRA finals and to boot, Don Prudhomme is holding an open house at his shop in Visa the same day and time frame. Myself and the other promoters decided it was best to postpone this event to next summer to comemerate the 45 year opening of OCIR. Hope to see you there...Hans

jedhead 09-30-2011 11:42 PM

Many fond memories made at OCIR. I wish they would use Tustin or El Toro and open a 1/4 mile and 1 mile strip.

Bob

SkunkLookingCar 10-01-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedhead (Post 84018)
Many fond memories made at OCIR. I wish they would use Tustin or El Toro and open a 1/4 mile and 1 mile strip.

Bob

I couldn't agree with you more.

Vettezuki 10-02-2011 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkunkLookingCar (Post 84034)
I couldn't agree with you more.

I agree and I think it could be packed on a weekly basis if it were well run. However, there just ain't no way they'd let that kind of operation in for noise reasons. It would have to be like fully enclosed or something.

jedhead 10-02-2011 02:17 AM

Put up sound walls or set up an active noise reduction system. Cars aren't as loud as the military jets were at full afterburner. As far as I am concerned if the airbase was there when you moved nearby, you should have considered the possibility of noise pollution.

Bob

Vettezuki 10-02-2011 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedhead (Post 84047)
Put up sound walls or set up an active noise reduction system. Cars aren't as loud as the military jets were at full afterburner. As far as I am concerned if the airbase was there when you moved nearby, you should have considered the possibility of noise pollution.

Bob

I used to work with my dad nearby when it was still an active base (and went there a few times when I was a Sea Cadet). There were loud as all hell (and awesome sounding.) But it's simple really. The government can kinda put in what it wants where it wants, and that was there from the olden days to boot. It's been inactive for a long time now and that's probably when most of hte population moved in to be honest.

There definitely is a technical solution to the problem, either high wall barriers, active sound reduction, and enforced max output (like many race tracks have now), but they'd probably raise the necessary price for admission beyon what the market would bear. Would you pay $30 for a few runs on a night in Tustin?