Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Thinking about buying a welder. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18632)

enkeivette 07-21-2010 09:19 PM

Thinking about buying a welder.

Cheapest option for me looks like a 120v 90 amp flux wire welder. Any objections? Will this be juicy enough to weld thick plates... like for suspension components etc.?

Vettezuki 07-21-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 55942)
Cheapest option for me looks like a 120v 90 amp flux wire welder. Any objections? Will this be juicy enough to weld thick plates... like for suspension components etc.?

Like 1/4" mild steel? Fine. We'll be working on the Snake tomorrow if you want to talk to Aaron about welders. I think he did a fair bit of research before selecting his Mig.

enkeivette 07-21-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 55943)
Like 1/4" mild steel? Fine. We'll be working on the Snake tomorrow if you want to talk to Aaron about welders. I think he did a fair bit of research before selecting his Mig.

I like the idea of having a mig better, but all of the cheap Harbor Freight migs are 240V.

Vettezuki 07-22-2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 55944)
I like the idea of having a mig better, but all of the cheap Harbor Freight migs are 240V.

Well, what's you're budget? I don't think the Lincoln Electric 120V Migs are that expensive. You might be able to pick up a slightly used one for considerably less from CL, eBay, etc. Generally when it comes to tools like this, I don't cheap out too much because they'll be used basically for life or at least a long time. Like the paint gun you bought recently.

enkeivette 07-22-2010 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 55947)
Well, what's you're budget? I don't think the Lincoln Electric 120V Migs are that expensive. You might be able to pick up a slightly used one for considerably less from CL, eBay, etc. Generally when it comes to tools like this, I don't cheap out too much because they'll be used basically for life or at least a long time. Like the paint gun you bought recently.

The paint gun I bought recently is to last for the next few years, just like this welder. I will be buying a Sata when I have a real job. And my garage will look a lot more like yours when the time comes too.

Vettezuki 07-22-2010 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 55955)
The paint gun I bought recently is to last for the next few years, just like this welder. I will be buying a Sata when I have a real job. And my garage will look a lot more like yours when the time comes too.

I'm a middle class grunt and devoted amateur at best. You can go much further over time. :drink:

In the meantime, check CI and eBay, you never know what might pop up.

enkeivette 07-22-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 55957)
...you never know what might pop up.

That's what she said.

blackax 07-22-2010 10:23 AM

I've always hated flux wire.....but its cheap and it gets the job done mostly. I was thinking of picking up a cheap 120v lincon for when my miller 30 is tooooo much of a pain. (miller 30 is a 200 amp 240v beast)

A 90 amp will do fine for most things. You just might have to let it cool down after a few welds.

94cobra69ss396 07-22-2010 02:08 PM

Most 120v mig welders are only good for up to 1/8 mild steel. That's too thin for any suspension work.

enkeivette 07-22-2010 02:40 PM

My neighbor has made some stout pieces for his Ranger with a 120v mig, I wonder what the amp rating is.