Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Domestic (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My Top End Speed Attempt at Lake El Mirage (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32934)

C5Natie 10-14-2011 06:46 PM

My Top End Speed Attempt at Lake El Mirage

WellI had a blast. It was fun yet scary as hell. Here's how it went;

First of all the lakebed, It was empty except for my car, one motorcycle and a filming crew on one side of the lakebed. Unfortunately though, instead of 4mi of lakebed we only had about 2.5 where we could do a run safely. Some idiots in subaru's and bmw's went in after hours and did some drifting, leaving some big dips and gashes on the surface. These were things i didnt wanna run over at 150+mph. So we went back and forth a couple times trying to find the smoothest path, which wasnt easy. I did a couple test runs first. One at 100mph all the across to see how it felt and another up to 150 where i let off and coasted for a mile. Then i went for it, couldnt go wot at all so i had to ease into it. No traction and my 315/30 r18 rears didnt help on dirt. At 160mph a very slight dip made me let off for a second but at 180mph i must got a cross wind or something, plus a lack of downforce, that made the rear sway and i shut her down. Now without being able to go wot, no traction and letting off for a second, i was doing 180mph @ 5600rpm in a distance of 1.8mi.(you can see the odometer in the vid) So, i know that on pavement with some traction i am capable of the 200mph mark. I felt that was good enough and i didnt wanna push my luck. Also i know i didnt have traction the entire length ofthe run because the car felt floaty and i ate up 2/32nds of tread. Like driving on sandpaper! So iy was a little scary but fun. I would deffinately recommend a spoilerand skinniertires,like255'smax.

Vettezuki 10-14-2011 07:58 PM

Wow. Someday I'd like to organize a MG full speed run day.

I guess that's just dust coming from underneath?

Shaolin Crane 10-14-2011 10:47 PM

No his vette is an oil burner, dont belive me? Ask nate :smack:

Vettezuki 10-14-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 84930)
No his vette is an oil burner, dont belive me? Ask nate :smack:

No I know. The earlier LSs in particular were known to chew up oil. But those lower tolerance (looser fit) rings are part of why they can do sustained high speed without the rings fusing to the cylinder walls. :smack:

Shaolin Crane 10-14-2011 11:34 PM

Thats not his problem, his engine is a high maintenance bitch, he's been fighting oil smoking problems, broken valve springs, broken rockers etc. But what do you expect? Its a vette after all :D

Vettezuki 10-14-2011 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 84932)
Thats not his problem, his engine is a high maintenance bitch, he's been fighting oil smoking problems, broken valve springs, broken rockers etc. But what do you expect? Its a vette after all :D

Not much really. Broken valve springs are another commonality of earlier LS motors. Done brok'd one myself. It bizaarely manifested as something that felt like and ignition problem (bad coil, misses) but it was probably the computer all confused about what the F was going on more than anything.

Shaolin Crane 10-15-2011 02:00 AM

Yeah but im pretty sure he doesnt even have factory heads any more.

Sonic03SVT 10-15-2011 09:14 AM

regeared? was under the impression factory gearing wouldnt let you get to 200 without using 6th, which isnt supposed to be able to take the power necessary for 200, or so the debate on CF led me to believe.

Either way, damn impressive!

Shaolin Crane 10-15-2011 11:03 AM

His corvette is neutured, tis be auto

BADDASSC6 10-15-2011 12:45 PM

Auto zo6?