Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Auto (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Adventures of the co-signed Aveo (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51268)

Vettezuki 08-18-2013 10:02 PM

Adventures of the co-signed Aveo

Well, from the no good deed goes unpunished file.

A couple years back we co-signed on a car loan for a receptionist. I was just informed she can no longer pay, and she'll surrender the car to us, which wouldn't be so bad given that it only has about a year left on nominal payments. Except that it has *at least* a blown HG and damaged cat. . .

Shaolin Crane 08-19-2013 12:14 AM

Car?

enkeivette 08-19-2013 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 119835)
Well, from the no good deed goes unpunished file.

A couple years back we co-signed on a car loan for a receptionist. I was just informed she can no longer pay, and she'll surrender the car to us, which wouldn't be so bad given that it only has about a year left on nominal payments. Except that it has *at least* a blown HG and damaged cat. . .

:picard: No, no... never. I wouldn't co-sign for my own brother.

Well fix it and flip it. You could go after her for indemnification, but since she's broke it would really just be a waste of time.

Vettezuki 08-19-2013 02:04 AM

She has a gift for making the worst possible choice at each turn. We were trying to be a positive and supportive influence, which I don't regret, as she has acknowledged and expressed gratitude so at least some flicker might have gotten through, but holy shit. . .this plus some surprise back business taxes, and not being able to pull of a refi business debt exit, have kicked me in the nuts a little. Anyway, it get's towed in the morning, so I'll find out more. Hopefully it's just the HG, and not some catastrophic head warpage . . . but knowing her . . .

Shaolin Crane 08-19-2013 09:22 AM

Again, kind of car?

Vettezuki 08-19-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 119856)
Again, kind of car?

2007 Chevy Aveo. Mileage unknown as of yet (battery gone). Interior is pretty filthy but should clean up ok. The passenger front quarterpanel is toast, windshield broken, battery toast, HG and/or head toast, some problem with cat, front tires pretty worn. It's got about $2k left on the loan. I'm imagining at least $1k to get it into decent running shape.

This is what I know so far. . .

I have to think seriously if I want to bother getting it into a salable shape or just eat it and liquidate for scrap.

It's usually just the heads that warp and not the block as well right? Do you know a place that will deck the heads if there's minor warpage for cheap?

Shaolin Crane 08-19-2013 10:42 AM

Pacific Engine should still be able to handle decking a head. I'll supervise if need be.

enkeivette 08-19-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 119859)
2007 Chevy Aveo. Mileage unknown as of yet (battery gone). Interior is pretty filthy but should clean up ok. The passenger front quarterpanel is toast, windshield broken, battery toast, HG and/or head toast, some problem with cat, front tires pretty worn. It's got about $2k left on the loan. I'm imagining at least $1k to get it into decent running shape.

This is what I know so far. . .

I have to think seriously if I want to bother getting it into a salable shape or just eat it and liquidate for scrap.

It's usually just the heads that warp and not the block as well right? Do you know a place that will deck the heads if there's minor warpage for cheap?

I've got a couple of places that will do it for $30-$40. Even know of one place that will surface it with MAJOR warpage, when they really shouldn't. Ha

Vettezuki 08-19-2013 11:15 AM

BTW, how do you check if a head is warped if it's somewhat minor? She said it "shoots out coolant" . . that's not good, but I haven't seen it yet.

Shaolin Crane 08-19-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 119867)
BTW, how do you check if a head is warped if it's somewhat minor? She said it "shoots out coolant" . . that's not good, but I haven't seen it yet.

Machinists ruler across the deck. Don't rule out freeze plugs either, if the car is that fucked up then I wouldn't take her diagnosis with any weight.