Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Widen Rims? (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11664)

enkeivette 12-31-2009 01:42 AM

Widen Rims?

Does anyone know a shop that does this? Or a general cost to widen rims? I'm talking about, slicing them down the center, adding material and rewelding.

Vettezuki 12-31-2009 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 41385)
Does anyone know a shop that does this? Or a general cost to widen rims? I'm talking about, slicing them down the center, adding material and rewelding.

I ain't gonna lie. I've never even heard of such a thing. I would think you'd simply be better off selling your existing rims, combining proceeds with what something like this might cost (to do properly) and buy a new set of rims at the desired width. :huh:

kdracer73 12-31-2009 08:07 AM

Chuck and I found a guy who said he could this type of thing. Picked up the wheels, had them for 2 months, sent them back and said he can't do it :smack:

joedls 12-31-2009 08:40 AM

Here's a company I know some Mustang guys have used with success.

enkeivette 12-31-2009 04:32 PM

Awesome, thanks Joe. Need to offset my trailing arms then I will be doing this. I plan to go in as far as possible, without cutting the frame. It would be so nice to get some 335s back there.

BRUTAL64 12-31-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 41430)
Awesome, thanks Joe. Need to offset my trailing arms then I will be doing this. I plan to go in as far as possible, without cutting the frame. It would be so nice to get some 335s back there.

You can off set the tailing arms quite a bit, but the upper frame is the issue. Do some measuring and (IF I remember correctly) there is not as much room that you think there is.

enkeivette 01-01-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 41441)
You can off set the tailing arms quite a bit, but the upper frame is the issue. Do some measuring and (IF I remember correctly) there is not as much room that you think there is.

Gay. Have people been notching the frame or what do they do?

BRUTAL64 01-01-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 41476)
Gay. Have people been notching the frame or what do they do?

Mostly crying alot. I don't remember the exact measurment, you could notch the frame but it would be easier to go out-ward extending your fenders out also. Your paint is fresh so you will not notice it after you paint it.:boggled:

enkeivette 01-02-2010 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 41488)
Mostly crying alot. I don't remember the exact measurment, you could notch the frame but it would be easier to go out-ward extending your fenders out also. Your paint is fresh so you will not notice it after you paint it.:boggled:

No flares.

Vettezuki 01-02-2010 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 41502)
No flares.

Then you're pretty limited. Going off memory, I think something like a 10" rim with 305~ is the max you can get under the body with the offset trailing arms. But, 305 in something sticky (you aren't putting a lot of miles on it) wouldn't be bad at all.