Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   4x4 and Off Road (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Expected gas mileage drop from Lift/ Big Tires (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22324)

enkeivette 11-11-2010 11:13 AM

Expected gas mileage drop from Lift/ Big Tires

Thinking more about buying the Diesel Liberty or Grand Cherokee, because the only reason I don't want an SUV is the gas mileage. But the Diesels are averaging in the 20s and I can definitely live with that.

But, as discussed, the Liberty is pretty gay stock. And I would need to remove the queer bumpers and fender flares and lift the crap out of it for sure. So what sort of gas mileage should I expect if it's rated at 21 city/ 28 freeway, if I lift it with some 33s or 35s and install a brush guard? How much do you guys think it would drop. It is a 4 cyl 2.8L turbo diesel.

How about the grand cherokee, same scenario. It's a 3L V6 turbo diesel. Rated at 20/ 25 mpg.

enkeivette 11-11-2010 11:53 AM

enkeivette 11-11-2010 11:55 AM

Vettezuki 11-11-2010 11:55 AM

Kind of a wild guess, but I would expect something around the 5 mpg range. If it were much more or less out of that range I'd be surprised. Aerodynamically you're increasing frontal area and the larger tires increases weight. You'd also be degrading sprung to unsprung weight so it'll ride a little harder all other things being equal.

94cobra69ss396 11-11-2010 12:10 PM

My Explorer was rated at 17/21 mpg. I've only check the millage once which was when I went to Truck Haven a few weeks ago just because lately it seemed to be going through a lot of gas. It pulled right around 15 mpg on the way out there doing 75 mph. However, ever since I got back it doesn't seem to be going though gas as quickly. Not sure why but it does have some stranger ECU issues that I'm trying to resolve. Anyways, as you know the Explorer is lifted with a skid plate on the front and I'm running on 33's with 4.56 gears.

With that said I wouldn't expect millage to go too much, especially if you regear for the tires. Now, how much money have you saved up for a lift kit, tires, bumpers and gears? Plus have your checked to see if lift kits exist for the years you are looking at?

Leedom 11-11-2010 12:53 PM

I did not notice a drop off when I lifted the truck with 35's and a regear. Might have dropped 1 MPG total.

enkeivette 11-11-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 62653)
My Explorer was rated at 17/21 mpg. I've only check the millage once which was when I went to Truck Haven a few weeks ago just because lately it seemed to be going through a lot of gas. It pulled right around 15 mpg on the way out there doing 75 mph. However, ever since I got back it doesn't seem to be going though gas as quickly. Not sure why but it does have some stranger ECU issues that I'm trying to resolve. Anyways, as you know the Explorer is lifted with a skid plate on the front and I'm running on 33's with 4.56 gears.

With that said I wouldn't expect millage to go too much, especially if you regear for the tires. Now, how much money have you saved up for a lift kit, tires, bumpers and gears? Plus have your checked to see if lift kits exist for the years you are looking at?

Lift... kit? Hahahaha.

I would go junkyard solid axle, junk yard springs and weld up my own mounts in the front.

94cobra69ss396 11-11-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 62658)
Lift... kit? Hahahaha.

I would go junkyard solid axle, junk yard springs and weld up my own mounts in the front.

You need to research that before you do it. My Explorer was easy to do because both speed sensors are located in the transfer case. Some truck have them located in the axles. Also, I think the Grand Cherokee comes with a solid Dana 44. Well at least the 1998 V8 model that Phil use to have did.

94cobra69ss396 11-11-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 62651)

That's a really nice 2wd truck.

enkeivette 11-11-2010 06:06 PM

Haha, I noticed that too. I don't see where the yoke in the TC is either.

Speed sensor shmeed sensor. That's what my GPS is for.