Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Having second thoughts. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=637)

enkeivette 08-27-2008 10:21 PM

Having second thoughts.

I'm having second thoughts about the 82 front bumper, looking at pics I'm not sure if I like it all that much more. I just really hate the bumperettes on the 78 bumper that's all. And I talked with a body shop guy who discouraged me from cutting up my perfectly good fenders.

I think I'm going to exchange the 82 bumper and fenders tomorrow and have them make me a glass 74 bumper that I'll glass in seamlessly. The 74 bumper is basically the same without those ugly bumperettes, and this way I won't have to cut up my fenders.

I've already removed the hardware. Rather than modify it I think I'll leave it out. There is now a ton of room for an intercooler. And it's pretty damn heavy, think I need to cut my front springs again. I keep taking weight off and the front end keeps lifting, go figure. :)

vs.

As you can tell, I'd have to fill in the step in the body that the 74 didn't have, but this should be easy.

enkeivette 08-27-2008 10:24 PM

Don't worry though, I'm still going with pearl black. You see this is why I'd never get a tattoo.

Vettezuki 08-27-2008 10:32 PM

You have commitment issues. Just finish and drive the damn thing already. :rolling:

BRUTAL64 08-28-2008 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 5585)
You have commitment issues. Just finish and drive the damn thing already. :rolling:

He should take his time. There is no need hurry. No sir, no hurry. My C2 has been primer for __ years. There is no need to hurry. No sir. He could be just like me. :rolleyes:

Vettezuki 08-28-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 5591)
. . . He could be just like me. :rolleyes:

Exactly . . . :leaving:

enkeivette 09-01-2008 01:47 AM

enkeivette 09-02-2008 09:05 PM

Here's how I decided to mod the bumper to fill the gap.:

For those of you who have seen a 78/ 79 bumper you can appreciate how much I had to cut this bitch up. Took about 15lbs off too.

BADDASSC6 09-02-2008 10:10 PM

Well, it will be definately worth it when it's all said and done. I also don't like the bumperette. it's better to get it knocked out know than be pissed of about if forever after the car is put together and painted!

CorruptCulture 09-03-2008 10:23 AM

So is this gonna be safe when you rear-end someone?

enkeivette 09-03-2008 12:46 PM

Safer than leaving the bumper hardware completely out which was my original plan. I'd have saved 37lbs as opposed to just 15lbs. What's in there now will stop a slow speed crash from totaling my car, it's worth the weight I think. Lots of C3ers ditch the front and the rear hardware all together. I'd never touch the hardware between the gas tank and the rear bumper. :suicide:

It's basically as safe as a stock 74 vette, slightly safer because of the more rigid frame.