Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Domestic (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   2003 Chevy Silverado (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2582)

big2bird 03-30-2009 05:10 PM

2003 Chevy Silverado

My truck, with 100,000 miles, now occasionally stalls doing a u-turn. Pump works, fuel tank high, medium , or low, doesn't matter. I have run injector cleaner and water remover a few times. Arbitrarily, warm or cold. Can go weeks without failure, then boom. Any ideas?

Vettezuki 03-30-2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 19150)
My truck, with 100,000 miles, now occasionally stalls doing a u-turn. Pump works, fuel tank high, medium , or low, doesn't matter. I have run injector cleaner and water remover a few times. Arbitrarily, warm or cold. Can go weeks without failure, then boom. Any ideas?

When I drove it to Lowes, I noticed it had a kinda funny throttle response too. It seems ECU/Electrical to me, like the MAF is giving the computer bad data about air flow. :huh: Not much of an idea, but there tis.

enkeivette 03-30-2009 11:37 PM

Maybe one of your high idle swtiches is f'd up. Not sure if that's what it's called... or how they work on ECM cars. But I know that there is compensation when you run the AC, or put load on the power steering. If one of those compensation sensors was not functioning, it might allow the motor to idle at too low of an rpm. If this happens while making a u-turn, while the steering is under full load, maybe it's the PS sensor.

big2bird 03-31-2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 19153)
When I drove it to Lowes, I noticed it had a kinda funny throttle response too. It seems ECU/Electrical to me, like the MAF is giving the computer bad data about air flow. :huh: Not much of an idea, but there tis.

I should try cleaning the MAF again..

enkeivette 04-01-2009 12:10 PM

Don't like my diagnosis? Think about it, sudden change in engine vacuum plus load on the PS pump plus lack of idle speed compensation (if the sensor is bad)... makes a lot of sense.

If my POS neon has a sensor for this, I'm sure your spiffy new Silverado would too.

big2bird 04-01-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 19350)
Don't like my diagnosis? Think about it, sudden change in engine vacuum plus load on the PS pump plus lack of idle speed compensation (if the sensor is bad)... makes a lot of sense.

If my POS neon has a sensor for this, I'm sure your spiffy new Silverado would too.

I like all the input. I just know that it "hunt's" when that MAF is dirty, as I have encountered that before.
Your diagnosis will be looked into, and is appreciated as well.

enkeivette 04-01-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 19408)
I like all the input. I just know that it "hunt's" when that MAF is dirty, as I have encountered that before.
Your diagnosis will be looked into, and is appreciated as well.

Gotcha, thanks for stroking my ego anyways. :bigthumbsup:

big2bird 04-10-2009 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 19350)

I looked today, and when it stalled, the tach had dipped to 400RPM or less during the turn. You might just have siomething here.

enkeivette 04-11-2009 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 20160)
I looked today, and when it stalled, the tach had dipped to 400RPM or less during the turn. You might just have siomething here.

I'm amazing...

Take it out, brake clean it and the female side, PS fluid could be preventing electrical contact.

Btw, when we took a ride in that side pipe C3 I did blame the fuel pump and was wrong about that, but my first suggestion while driving was ignition. Which we dismissed for whatever reason.

big2bird 04-11-2009 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 20168)

Btw, when we took a ride in that side pipe C3 I did blame the fuel pump and was wrong about that, but my first suggestion while driving was ignition. Which we dismissed for whatever reason.

Not really. The pump cured the WOT miss. The ignition problem was the stalling while hard cornering. The primary wire shorted out under the breaker plate.