Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Camaro is gettin paint !!! (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5123)

kdracer73 06-24-2009 09:25 PM

Camaro is gettin paint !!!

4 Attachment(s)
It has taken me 7+ years to get to this point, but sold all my gold fillings and we are eating top raman for the next six months.

SeanPlunk 06-24-2009 09:54 PM

Congrats Paul!!! What shop is doing the paint work?

kdracer73 06-24-2009 11:06 PM

Almost ashamed to say this.......One Day in Laguna Niguel. We have had them do a hand full of Chucks customers cars with good results. 2k less than other places Quoted me. Gotta be better after vs before. Now we can sing " Painted Love ":rolling:

Leedom 06-24-2009 11:40 PM

Who cares who does it as long as you are happy with the final result. The 1 day Paint shops can do good work they just generally do not do all the smoothing and working before the paint thus keeping costs down.

Vettezuki 06-24-2009 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdracer73 (Post 25558)
Almost ashamed to say this.......One Day in Laguna Niguel. We have had them do a hand full of Chucks customers cars with good results. 2k less than other places Quoted me. Gotta be better after vs before. Now we can sing " Painted Love ":rolling:

It's not that uncommon. The guys spray all day everyday and some of them are pretty damn good at it. Especially if you do your own super prep, and you're talking about pretty straight forward paint job (not putting snake skin stripes on for example) it's not at all a bad way to go. Considering it myself.

BRUTAL64 06-25-2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 25562)
It's not that uncommon. The guys spray all day everyday and some of them are pretty damn good at it. Especially if you do your own super prep, and you're talking about pretty straight forward paint job (not putting snake skin stripes on for example) it's not at all a bad way to go. Considering it myself.

My Dad had his 90 Ford pick-up painted at One-Day. He is really pissed at the job they did. He is so disappointed that he may kick someone's Ass over this. He's 82 and can still kick ass.
He showed me some of the problems--they suck big time. What a shitty paint job.:mad::rant:

SeanPlunk 06-25-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 25594)
My Dad had his 90 Ford pick-up painted at One-Day. He is really pissed at the job they did. He is so disappointed that he may kick someone's Ass over this. He's 82 and can still kick ass.
He showed me some of the problems--they suck big time. What a shitty paint job.:mad::rant:

I think it depends a great deal on which one-day you go to. I have heard a few in the area are quite good, and that a few are plain awful...

Vettezuki 06-25-2009 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 25617)
I think it depends a great deal on which one-day you go to. I have heard a few in the area are quite good, and that a few are plain awful...

Probably depends if it's before or after lunch as well. . . :leaving:

enkeivette 06-25-2009 06:24 PM

Bribe the painter to do an extra few coats of clear.

I've seen cheap shops do good work. Most of the work is in the prep, and it looks like you took care of that.

Then there is In N Out (I think) on Orangethorpe and Earil Shive on Ball. I could do a better job with a roller and flat drywall paint.

SeanPlunk 07-09-2009 08:43 PM

Progress report?