Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Domestic (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New tuning on the cobalt ss/turbo (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27720)

Ryridesmotox 04-28-2011 09:36 AM

New tuning on the cobalt ss/turbo

Well, as most of you already know I have a 2010 Chevy Cobalt SS turbo. I started doing E85 tuning on my cobalt. Because of the direct injection system it is necessary for me to run a mix of E85 and 91 octane in a 50/50 ratio. 5 gallons of each at fill up. The mix is not 100% ideal but i still get most of the benefits of E85... I can run higher boost, ethanol has O2 molecules in the molecular chain, this allows me to run richer, which allows the engine to run more spark advance, which takes advantage of the slower burning ethanol, which gives more volume to the expanding gases helping my turbo work more efficiently, so yea I am stoked. Should be right around 370whp and 420lbs/torque when I get it dynoed next month. Not bad for a more or less stock 4 banger that weighs less than 3000lbs with me in it.

I am running HP tuners, 24 lbs of boost with a Treadstone Stage 3 bolt on system. I am still using the stock turbo. I just got an exedy hypersingle clutch installed as well to handle the power.

Shaolin Crane 04-28-2011 02:07 PM

I forsee a box a tranny parts in your future

SkunkLookingCar 04-28-2011 02:19 PM

Hows the torque steer with that much power? My friend with a Mazdaspeed 3 with intake, downpipe, test pipe, exhaust and a tune gets violent torque steer if there are any surface irregularities under hard acceleration.

enkeivette 04-28-2011 03:02 PM

That is intense. I want a ride in this thing! Ya my mom gets some torque steer in her SRT4 and she makes about 150 less hp than you. Haha.

Torque steer isn't all bad though. Can make driving more interesting. Is that thing limited slip at least???

Damian 04-28-2011 03:08 PM

I will be running 50/50 here soon too. I love E85.

That is quite a bit of power for a little car like that.

SeanPlunk 04-28-2011 03:26 PM

Where are you guys getting E85 from? I'd love to switch the Cobra over eventually, but the closest station I've found is Pomona which is too far away.

mustangray 04-28-2011 06:57 PM

The Cobalt sounds like fun, my buddy has a HHR SS with a procharger on the 2.0 running 25psi (stock motor) it's pulling over 320hp and has massive torque steer

enkeivette 04-29-2011 12:03 AM

I'd never supercharge a 4 cylinder. I knew this guy who Supercharged his Focus. I think he made 178 wheel horsepower.

Blowers just take too much power to drive to run one on a 4 cylinder, especially with low boost.

Vettezuki 04-29-2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 73630)
I'd never supercharge a 4 cylinder. I knew this guy who Supercharged his Focus. I think he made 178 wheel horsepower.

Blowers just take too much power to drive to run one on a 4 cylinder, especially with low boost.

There's always exceptions, some of the insane Group B Rally cars from the 80s were supercharged.

enkeivette 04-29-2011 01:22 AM

I have a big nasty NA cam, and I blow a lot of my boost out the exhaust because my LSA is all wrong for a blower motor. But obviously it still makes power.

I didn't say you can't make power. I just wouldn't do it personally, there are much better ways.