Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Site Issues / Ask a Mod (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=108)
-   -   Ignore, Ban, Shun (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29996)

Shaolin Crane 07-10-2011 11:40 PM

Ignore, Ban, Shun

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 78994)
Guy, wanna get banned? :smack:

Sure I'm always down, whats one more under my belt.

Vettezuki 07-10-2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 79016)
Sure I'm always down, whats one more under my belt.

Sorry to disappoint. I'm an anarchist. No banning! Ha.

Actually, I just thought of a great forum feature, a shun list. Mmm.

Shaolin Crane 07-11-2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 79018)
Sorry to disappoint. I'm an anarchist. No banning! Ha.

Actually, I just thought of a great forum feature, a shun list. Mmm.

Isnt that what the ignore feature is for?

Vettezuki 07-11-2011 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 79020)
Isnt that what the ignore feature is for?

Similar. But imagine some kind of threshold where a person given to douche baggery were "Ignored" some number of times, or explicitly placed on it by a mod. This could trigger them being placed on a shun list. A user could then decide if they want to see the shunned or not. There could also be a mechanism for getting off the shuned list. Why you ask. Because mere banning is a pretty crude mechanism. A person who is merely banned learns nothing (if there was anything to learn) and probably goes on being a douche bag, or gets even worse down the line. Someone who is "shunned" and knows it, *might* ask themselves why it happened and voluntarily modify their behaviour over time to be less douche baggy.

Anyway, for me, simple douche baggery isn't nearly enough to ban. You'd have to be a psyco bastard before I'd even begin to consider it. Of course I ban out right scamming, bots and the like. I'm not so open minded that my brains fall out so to speak.

Hey, that was a fun OT tangent. :nuts:

Now, back to processing pics/vids so the users are happy.

Shaolin Crane 07-11-2011 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 79021)
Similar. But imagine some kind of threshold where a person given to douche baggery were "Ignored" some number of times, or explicitly placed on it by a mod. This could trigger them being placed on a shun list. A user could then decide if they want to see the shunned or not. There could also be a mechanism for getting off the shuned list. Why you ask. Because mere banning is a pretty crude mechanism. A person who is merely banned learns nothing (if there was anything to learn) and probably goes on being a douche bag, or gets even worse down the line. Someone who is "shunned" and knows it, *might* ask themselves why it happened and voluntarily modify their behaviour over time to be less douche baggy.

Anyway, for me, simple douche baggery isn't nearly enough to ban. You'd have to be a psyco bastard before I'd even begin to consider it. Of course I ban out right scamming, bots and the like. I'm not so open minded that my brains fall out so to speak.

Hey, that was a fun OT tangent. :nuts:

Now, back to processing pics/vids so the users are happy.

That was the reason I was always given, maybe you could ban me to make me feel more at home?:smack:

Small White Car 07-11-2011 04:25 PM

Vbb has a room where the banned live do they not?

I thought it was only accessible to mods/admins and the banned. I'll have to look into this.

Chuck 07-11-2011 04:32 PM

I want to shun or be shunned haha!!

Shaolin Crane 07-11-2011 06:50 PM

They do, ive spent some time in those rooms.