Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Pulled the trigger on a Raptor! (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43642)

BADDASSC6 10-27-2012 02:39 PM

Pulled the trigger on a Raptor!

1 Attachment(s)
A Raptor CF wing from Good Aero

94cobra69ss396 10-27-2012 03:20 PM

And here I got all excited thinking Ford Raptor. But this is cool as well. When are you going to be installing it? Did you get your brakes working properly yet?

BADDASSC6 10-27-2012 03:28 PM

It's probably not going on until January. I am only home for this week and will not come back until Christmas. I haven't really touched the vette since the race weekend.

Vettezuki 10-27-2012 04:06 PM

Does the mounting hardware come with the wing or is that a separate purchase depending on how you want to mount it? Also, curious what effect this will have on your straight away speeds.

BADDASSC6 10-27-2012 07:36 PM

I got the mounting hardware with it. It can be purchased separately. It will definitely slow straight line speeds. However is will help everywhere else. The speed going into the straights will be faster. They are worth seconds even on a slow track like Buttonwillow.

Vettezuki 10-27-2012 07:53 PM

Does it have like a pitch adjustment with a table for that wing that estimates down force at different speeds? How do you as a suspension/aero tuner dial in the optimal amount of wing?

I'm assuming you have to set the wing in one position for a race and have to make the tradeoffs. A movable wing would be pretty cool, but I think only a short period of F1 in the early 90s had computer controlled aero. :)

BADDASSC6 10-27-2012 10:35 PM

It's adjustable. No table though. Active aero wings are available aftermarket, but they are ultra expensive. Basically, I learning how to tune it. I have a front air dam on the car. I will start at one degree and move up from there. I'm building a front splinter that will also be adjustable. The key is to keep the car balanced. My traymate will give me the data I need to see the effects.

Vettezuki 10-27-2012 10:59 PM

Great learning for your business if you should pursue it in the future. :thumbs_up:

I didn't know there was active aero in any of these race series! That's cool.

BADDASSC6 10-28-2012 07:30 AM

Aero motions it the only aftermarket provider of active aerodynamics. Not terribly expensive either if you stay with the single element. You can almost put their wing controller on any wing if you machine the uprights. Active aero is not allowed in any race series. I thought about their product. The wing itself is not that great. I may try to get there controller later or come up with a new program myself.

Vettezuki 10-28-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 105695)
Aero motions it the only aftermarket provider of active aerodynamics. Not terribly expensive either if you stay with the single element. You can almost put their wing controller on any wing if you machine the uprights. Active aero is not allowed in any race series. I thought about their product. The wing itself is not that great. I may try to get there controller later or come up with a new program myself.

If they're not allowed in any races series, why would you be interested, just shits and giggle?

Like the special waterpump for IC setups, this is even more in the domain of what my family businesses can handle (stepper motor motion control.). Maybe I should start another company MG Engineering to pursue these little goofy niches that don't seem to be so well served. . mmm.

Damian 10-28-2012 09:09 PM

Focus on the water pump first!

BADDASSC6 10-28-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 105713)
If they're not allowed in any races series, why would you be interested, just shits and giggle?

Like the special waterpump for IC setups, this is even more in the domain of what my family businesses can handle (stepper motor motion control.). Maybe I should start another company MG Engineering to pursue these little goofy niches that don't seem to be so well served. . mmm.

I'm down for it. I've been stock piling machining tools. I'm also taking a PRO -E refreshed course.

The only series that allow it are time trials. They can be locked out for other series.

Shaolin Crane 10-28-2012 10:16 PM

I have 2 3 axis mills and a steel lathe in case anyone wanted to use them :uh:

Vettezuki 10-28-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 105730)
I'm down for it. I've been stock piling machining tools. I'm also taking a PRO -E refreshed course.

The only series that allow it are time trials. They can be locked out for other series.

Carlos, let's chat about this first quarter next calendar year sometime. Do you have CAD skills or ever worked with Solid Works, etc.? I'm in the middle of a fairly giant shit pile presently, but my flexibility to pursue things like this will hopefully change significantly next year.

Guy, are the mills CNC or manual? My uncle's shop is loaded up, including I heard a new 5 axis, all CNC. But they're running full tilt double shifts, so slotting in might be tough, depending on scale of project. So if there is some slack capacity somewhere with cheaply accessible CNC, that could be useful information.

Shaolin Crane 10-28-2012 11:34 PM

Good ol' 70's manual operated mills and lathe

Vettezuki 10-29-2012 12:58 AM

Good for one-offs in the hands of a skilled operator, not so good for "monkey push button repetition"

Shaolin Crane 10-29-2012 01:04 AM

Basically what I use it for. Custom brackets, motorcycle parts, gunsmithing etc.

Vettezuki 10-29-2012 01:22 AM

They're awesome, and I wouldn't mind having one of my own someday. But consistent "mass" production is a whole different world and art all its own.

BADDASSC6 10-29-2012 09:57 PM

I was a monster with PRO-E and Mechanical. They are CAR programs on crack. Basically PRO-E will allow Youku to draw and generate the part. It will also allow you to assign material properties to parts. Mechanica could take those parts and run almost any test on it via finite element analysis. From there you could import them to the CMC or now a 3d printer. I'm taking some refreshed classes in spring. I'm finally rotating off the boat to shore duty in December. I also got to finish the masters.

Shaolin Crane 10-29-2012 10:21 PM

One of my students designs the software for 3d printers. He has offered us a few of the new printers that he helped design for around $400

Vettezuki 10-29-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 105905)
I was a monster with PRO-E and Mechanical. They are CAR programs on crack. Basically PRO-E will allow Youku to draw and generate the part. It will also allow you to assign material properties to parts. Mechanica could take those parts and run almost any test on it via finite element analysis. From there you could import them to the CMC or now a 3d printer. I'm taking some refreshed classes in spring. I'm finally rotating off the boat to shore duty in December. I also got to finish the masters.

Well, if you can get it to CNC I can handle a whole bunch of the rest. :)

My bro and I also know how to make reusable molds from scratch. While we haven't made any carbon fibre stuff, the process (separate from autoclave, which isn't really necessary for non-structural parts) is pretty clear.

Guy, depending on the level/model, that's maybe an incredible price.

enkeivette 11-26-2012 04:13 PM

Hells ya! Where was this thread? Tapatalk sucks

enkeivette 11-26-2012 07:10 PM

I was gonna offer to spray it but its carbon fiber! Looks sick as is!

Check this guy out, he doesnt fuck around:

I wonder how much that cost!

Shaolin Crane 11-26-2012 08:02 PM

That probably added a good deal of weight as opposed to paint.

enkeivette 11-27-2012 01:19 AM

Nope, it was legit. I stuck my hand under the fenders, it wasnt an overlay, he replaced all of the panels with CF

Shaolin Crane 11-27-2012 06:59 AM

Dunno, looks like a wrap to me.

enkeivette 11-27-2012 10:47 AM

Touch > Viewing a Pic

enkeivette 11-27-2012 10:55 AM

But Ill give it to you that the pillar was probably an overlay, maybe some other sections around there too.

Im guessing this guy gave his car up to a company that wanted to make molds of C6 panels for selling CF retail. And this was his pay off.

Vettezuki 11-27-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 107499)
Touch > Viewing a Pic

That's what she said.

J&D has CF available for C3s. Probably just use the same molds as the plastic.

enkeivette 11-27-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 107510)
That's what she said.

J&D has CF available for C3s. Probably just use the same molds as the plastic.

Lol, win