Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   4x4 and Off Road (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Jeep XJ problems... (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2172)

ZexGX 03-15-2009 12:32 PM

Jeep XJ problems...

I have an 87 Cherokee 4 door 4x4:

414k+ miles, cammed, intake, exhaust, who knows what else done to the engine/trans besides rebuilds (haven't read all of the paperwork for it - there's a huge stack starting with the original window sticker).

I have two big issues with it (besides body welds breaking... LOL). The primary one is as I am driving along it will seemingly flood and die - the engine just shuts off, and will not start again for a very very long time. I am only guessing this is flooding! It could be a spark issue for all I know.

The second issue is that the key no longer turns past "RUN/ACC" - I can't get it to the last turn that finally engages the starter.

Thoughts? Maybe one of you may have heard of similar issues/resolutions?

94cobra69ss396 03-15-2009 01:08 PM

Is it carb or FI? Have you checked the fuel pressure after it shuts off? I had that issue on my old 1988 Mustang when the fuel pump was going bad. It would just shut off periodically and I would have to wait for a while (30-90 minutes) before it would fire again.

On your ignition cylinder issue, it sounds like something broke inside of it. I would just buy a new one as they are only about $20 for your Jeep.

ZexGX 03-15-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 17918)
Is it carb or FI? Have you checked the fuel pressure after it shuts off? I had that issue on my old 1988 Mustang when the fuel pump was going bad. It would just shut off periodically and I would have to wait for a while (30-90 minutes) before it would fire again.

It is an FI 4.0l I6. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge to hook up to the fuel rail so I can't really check the pressure #, but it seemed like the system was pressurized (I really should get a gauge and check).

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 17918)
On your ignition cylinder issue, it sounds like something broke inside of it. I would just buy a new one as they are only about $20 for your Jeep.

Do you happen to have contact info for a few places around SoCal that may have it or other parts? I'm pretty new to the 4x4 scene...

94cobra69ss396 03-15-2009 09:44 PM

You can pick one up at Autozone.

Throttle Crazy 03-17-2009 06:30 PM

The 4.0L in those years had a huge issue with stalling and crank no start.
The crank sensor was normally the problem. I believe that they even had
a kit to rewire the crank sensor to the computer by drilling a hole through
the firewall.

ZexGX 03-18-2009 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttle Crazy (Post 18113)
The 4.0L in those years had a huge issue with stalling and crank no start.
The crank sensor was normally the problem. I believe that they even had
a kit to rewire the crank sensor to the computer by drilling a hole through
the firewall.

Thanks! Any local off-road shops or better yet forums where I can ask for more info on this?

94cobra69ss396 03-18-2009 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZexGX (Post 18140)
Thanks! Any local off-road shops or better yet forums where I can ask for more info on this?

Just keep asking Throttle Crazy. He is an ASE certified Master Tech with 17 years of experience.