Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Sintra and Alumalite (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51408)

BADDASSC6 08-22-2013 08:57 PM

Sintra and Alumalite

Any body have experience making splinters or rear diffuser with Sintra or alumalite?

94cobra69ss396 08-23-2013 10:48 AM

Never made one.

Shaolin Crane 08-23-2013 11:07 AM

I use plywood. Cheap.

Vettezuki 08-23-2013 11:08 AM

I'll look these materials later, not familiar. But my brother made a fairly fancy front bumper in fiber glass for the snake, so the process of making and using a mold I'm familiar with. Was planning on doing a diffuser in carbon fiber for the fuck of it.

Shaolin Crane 08-23-2013 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 120212)
I'll look these materials later, not familiar. But my brother made a fairly fancy front bumper in fiber glass for the snake, so the process of making and using a mold I'm familiar with. Was planning on doing a diffuser in carbon fiber for the fuck of it.

Fanboy.

94cobra69ss396 08-23-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 120212)

If you're just going to make one for fun anyways how about making it for my Cobra?

BADDASSC6 08-23-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 120211)
I use plywood. Cheap.

Heavy and not resistant to moisture. Sintra and Alumalite are both cheap at about $200 for a 8' by 4' board, very light weight and easy to work. Alumalite is a plastic core sandwiched in aluminum. Sintra in expanded PVC. Sintra can be easily formed by using a heat gun. I think it will be easier to shape than wood. Then the base shape is set then you can vacuum bag it with CF or just glass over it. Larpers make their armer out of it.

Vettezuki 08-23-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 120224)
Heavy and not resistant to moisture. Sintra and Alumalite are both cheap at about $200 for a 8' by 4' board, very light weight and easy to work. Alumalite is a plastic core sandwiched in aluminum. Sintra in expanded PVC. Sintra can be easily formed by using a heat gun. I think it will be easier to shape than wood. Then the base shape is set then you can vacuum bag it with CF or just glass over it. Larpers make their armer out of it.

Sounds similar to some plastics we have worked with plastics before ( like my very sophisticated instrument cluster . . .) Basically you can build a form then using the heat gun you can "mold" it around the form and using special plastic glues, can bond the various pieces together. Doesn't sound like what you want to do is terribly difficult, just time. Is what you want not available off the shelf?

Shaolin Crane 08-23-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 120224)

Not all plywood is heavy and anything is moisture resistant with sealer.

BADDASSC6 08-23-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 120226)
Sounds similar to some plastics we have worked with plastics before ( like my very sophisticated instrument cluster . . .) Basically you can build a form then using the heat gun you can "mold" it around the form and using special plastic glues, can bond the various pieces together. Doesn't sound like what you want to do is terribly difficult, just time. Is what you want not available off the shelf?

Yes it's available but they are very expensive,I question their functionality,and I expect them both to be high wear items for a track car. So I'm looking for a product that is easy to produce, cheap, and durable. I think an alums lite panel will be easy to replace if damaged the hardest part would be making the brackets to mount it. The diffuser will be harder, but I think when the mold is made then making copies will be fast and cost effective.