Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   B.S. Lounge (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Make Your Own Ethanol (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34194)

Vettezuki 11-26-2011 12:22 AM

Make Your Own Ethanol

For fuel of course. Distilling for personal consumption is against the law and obviously very wrong. . . because it's against the law. Against the law means it's wrong! Don't do it or you're bad.

http://imakemygas.com/

Shaolin Crane 11-26-2011 03:51 AM

So you cant distill for yourself but they make mr.beer kits right? Government is wonky.

SkunkLookingCar 11-26-2011 07:57 AM

Pretty good information. I wonder what the cost works out to be? I have a feeling that ethanol producers receiving government subsidies will be able to make ethanol at a lower price point.

5.0droptop 11-26-2011 08:45 AM

The corn ethanol business went bankrupt because the government took away the subsidies. I think they may have given it back because many of the plants are reopening.

I work on centrifuge separators that are used in the production process.

SkunkLookingCar 11-26-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.0droptop (Post 87581)
The corn ethanol business went bankrupt because the government took away the subsidies. I think they may have given it back because many of the plants are reopening.

I work on centrifuge separators that are used in the production process.

Good to know. I didn't realize that they had dropped the subsidies. I would have thought that in "this economic climate," they would have continued all subsidies to preserve jobs, especially GREEN jobs. Debate the greenness of ethanol in another thread.

fiveohwblow 11-26-2011 03:16 PM

This was very informative, and I love vodka... just dont see this being extremely cost effective considering the minimal output.... still, not bad!

Vettezuki 11-26-2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiveohwblow (Post 87603)
This was very informative, and I love vodka... just dont see this being extremely cost effective considering the minimal output.... still, not bad!

The purpose of this table top still is give the person who knows nothing a foot in the door to making their own ethanol. If you read down the page there is a large and very thorough book, that includes how to scale it up significantly. If you have access to free/cheap starches or sugars (like left over syrup from a bottling operation that they usually throw away) your cost per gallon can be way below $1. That depends on how much you make over time and of course doesn't count your own labor. So if you're just into it and want to make your own E50/85 and don't consider your own time, it can be pretty efficient.

This would be wrong of course, but you could theoretically make and sell moonshine on the black market I've heard. :huh:

fiveohwblow 11-27-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 87616)
The purpose of this table top still is give the person who knows nothing a foot in the door to making their own ethanol. If you read down the page there is a large and very thorough book, that includes how to scale it up significantly. If you have access to free/cheap starches or sugars (like left over syrup from a bottling operation that they usually throw away) your cost per gallon can be way below $1. That depends on how much you make over time and of course doesn't count your own labor. So if you're just into it and want to make your own E50/85 and don't consider your own time, it can be pretty efficient.

This would be wrong of course, but you could theoretically make and sell moonshine on the black market I've heard.
:huh:

NOW you're talkin :D

N8Dogg98 11-28-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 87616)

This would be wrong of course, but you could theoretically make and sell moonshine on the black market I've heard. :huh:

This is cool and all, but wouldn't be worth my time, energy, and money. I'd rather just pay my $3.09/gallon in my large DD that get's 20 MPG's... I only live 12 miles from work, so I can usually go 2 weeks between filling up. That's only ~$100/month for gas which isn't so bad.

I realized a big savings when I started walking for trips that are less than 2 miles and I ride my bicycle for trips that are less than 5 miles... Since moving to a new house that is 6 miles closer to work and walking/riding bicycle instead of driving for short trips my monthly gas bill has dropped from >$200/month to around $100/month.

fiveohwblow 11-28-2011 09:35 AM

I'm more interested in the vodka side of things :)