Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engines, Transimissions, Suspension, etc. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   CARB Engine Conversion, calling Vettezuki (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49746)

enkeivette 06-23-2013 12:32 PM

CARB Engine Conversion, calling Vettezuki

Help me compile the list of parts I'll need from this donor car before it goes to the junkyard.

Charcoal Canister
Catalyst Sticker
O2 sensor
Catalytic converter
Fuel pump
OBD2 Connector
Will I need anything else since this is a 96, so its OBD2 and also its a different type evap system?

Vettezuki 06-23-2013 02:33 PM

ECU
AIR Pump (if it has one)
Harness

I'll think about it more.

94cobra69ss396 06-23-2013 10:37 PM

Fuel tank since yours probably doesn't have a pressure sensor in it and the '96 will. You'll also want to keep all the exhaust before the cats. The cats are supposed to be near their original placement in the exhaust.

enkeivette 06-23-2013 11:31 PM

Fuel tank aint gonna swap over. What does the pressure sensor look like? Im sure I can fit it to the stock tank.

enkeivette 06-23-2013 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Something like this, got it.

Ron do you know if the tanks are vented differently? Thanks!

Attachment 898

Vettezuki 06-24-2013 12:22 AM

In my case I programmed out the error code for the tank pressure sensor. Kept the original C3 tank. The ref was suspicious, but let it slide. He DID make me change the charcoal canister.

enkeivette 06-24-2013 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 117280)
In my case I programmed out the error code for the tank pressure sensor. Kept the original C3 tank. The ref was suspicious, but let it slide. He DID make me change the charcoal canister.

Prob cuz he didnt want to stick his head that far up your cars ass looking for the sensor. Ha

Vettezuki 06-24-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 117291)
Prob cuz he didnt want to stick his head that far up your cars ass looking for the sensor. Ha

I remember him looking at the cap and tank inlet in wonderment. He said something like, "I'm not sure why this is working, but the light isn't coming on." I said, "yeah." He was kind of pedantic on several issues, but let that slide. Good, because I would have been fairly f'd he didn't.

94cobra69ss396 06-24-2013 06:58 AM

I don't remember what mine looked like but I just bought a new tank that had the fitting in it (Eric's tank was too rusted to use). I got my tank from Rock Auto and I had a 20% off discount so I think the total came out to $180.

enkeivette 06-24-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 117280)

Which I now realize was kind of pointless. Without the fuel tank pressure sensor working, the intake will never purge your charcoal canister.

So... I couldnt find a fuel tank pressure sensor, and Autozone doesnt list that part.

Vettezuki 06-25-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 117352)
Which I now realize was kind of pointless. Without the fuel tank pressure sensor working, the intake will never purge your charcoal canister.

So... I couldnt find a fuel tank pressure sensor, and Autozone doesnt list that part.

Well, I think charcoal canisters have been around a lot longer than a fuel tank pressure sensors. I really don't know the systems. Could be a good question kdracer73.

enkeivette 06-25-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 117358)
Well, I think charcoal canisters have been around a lot longer than a fuel tank pressure sensors. I really don't know the systems. Could be a good question kdracer73.

Very true, maybe theres some valve now, or maybe I read a false explanation. Either way, if you got your blue sticker this year its all good!

Vettezuki 06-25-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 117360)
Very true, maybe theres some valve now, or maybe I read a false explanation. Either way, if you got your blue sticker this year its all good!

Blue sticker? You mean reg tag?

kdracer73 06-25-2013 10:46 PM

The diagrams found don't show a fuel tank sensor, but some do show a leak detection pump.... Evap self testing was pretty new in 96. All the info I found from Chrysler is vague. Some vehicles had leak detection pumps and some didn't, even in same model lines. Most early evap self tests used other sensors to check evap operation. The pcm would look at MAP ( manifold absolute pressure) and look for a change in manifold vacuum when the evap solenoid opened. Some systems would look for O2 sensor enrichment readings as the solenoid opened.

enkeivette 06-26-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdracer73 (Post 117416)
The diagrams found don't show a fuel tank sensor, but some do show a leak detection pump.... Evap self testing was pretty new in 96. All the info I found from Chrysler is vague. Some vehicles had leak detection pumps and some didn't, even in same model lines. Most early evap self tests used other sensors to check evap operation. The pcm would look at MAP ( manifold absolute pressure) and look for a change in manifold vacuum when the evap solenoid opened. Some systems would look for O2 sensor enrichment readings as the solenoid opened.

After spending an hour under the car looking for a pressure sensor in the tank, then searching... a lot for a PCM diagram to see if it had a hook up for it, I just saw the hook up for the leak detection sensor. Just 30 seconds before I read this I was wondering if the Cherokee used it in lieu of a tank pressure sensor.

So thats the answer I take it? Ug, should have just sent you a PM. Ha

Vettezuki 06-26-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 117417)
After spending an hour under the car looking for a pressure sensor in the tank, then searching... a lot for a PCM diagram to see if it had a hook up for it, I just saw the hook up for the leak detection sensor. Just 30 seconds before I read this I was wondering if the Cherokee used it in lieu of a tank pressure sensor.

So thats the answer I take it? Ug, should have just sent you a PM. Ha

Expert knowledge. Use it. Or crawl around your back, whatevs.:smack:

injdinjn 06-29-2013 09:40 PM

My 73 F250 built in Oct 72 did not have a charcoal canister. My cousins 73 F250 built in early 73 did have a charcoal canister. Back then the rules went into effect on Jan 1, now they apply to the model year. Made getting my truck smogged a PITA as the young guys did not believe me on that.

enkeivette 06-30-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by injdinjn (Post 117562)
My 73 F250 built in Oct 72 did not have a charcoal canister. My cousins 73 F250 built in early 73 did have a charcoal canister. Back then the rules went into effect on Jan 1, now they apply to the model year. Made getting my truck smogged a PITA as the young guys did not believe me on that.

You had to smog a 73? Where and when?

injdinjn 06-30-2013 11:24 AM

I don't remember the last year but into the 1980's.
In approx 1977 I bought a 57 Pontiac and had to install the temp controlled vacuum advance to register it even though it didn't require semi-annual smog checks. Retro ones you cut the top radiator hose in installed this temp controlled valve, I just bent the hose and attached it at the end, the smog tech laughed. Had to remove the old style crankcase vent also, those were a 1inch metal tube that entered the engine near the distributor and snaked down to just below the bellhousing.
My F250 has valve cover breathers with rubber hoses that snake down to below the engine and dump the fumes there. :)

I bought the wife a garden tiller about 5 years ago - CA only model. It ran fine then after about 40 hrs started quitting on me. Turns out the CA special has a rubber hose as a crankcase breather that feeds into the air cleaner and those small engines can't adjust for even a small change in air/fuel mixture. Took the hose out of the air cleaner and it runs fine. Fuck CARB and the AQMD.

When they find a way to stop China's air pollution from coming here on the natural wind currants then I will consider playing by the rules.