Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   RX-Snake (Project Car) (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   RX-Snake: Axle and Drive Shaft (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1064)

Vettezuki 01-06-2009 05:40 PM

RX-Snake: Axle and Drive Shaft

How much would a built 8.8" cost vs. a built 9"

How much torque/power can a built 8.8" hold vs. a 9"?

What is the approximate weight differential between the 8.8" 9"?

My practical side says go with a built 8.8". It will probably hold forever, be a bit smaller and lighter, and maybe be a bit cheaper.

My red neck side says 9 is bigger than 8.8 so do that.

94cobra69ss396 01-06-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12805)
How much would a built 8.8" cost vs. a built 9"

How much torque/power can a built 8.8" hold vs. a 9"?

What is the approximate weight differential between the 8.8" 9"?

My practical side says go with a built 8.8". It will probably hold forever, be a bit smaller and lighter, and maybe be a bit cheaper.

My red neck side says 9 is bigger than 8.8 so do that.

The 8.8 can be just as strong as the 9" plus they are easier to get. Here is a great article that Chevy High Performance did comparring the 9" to a Chevy 12bolt (8.75") which is equal to the 8.8.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...son/index.html

Vettezuki 01-06-2009 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 12829)
The 8.8 can be just as strong as the 9" plus they are easier to get. Here is a great article that Chevy High Performance did comparring the 9" to a Chevy 12bolt (8.75") which is equal to the 8.8.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...son/index.html

Cool. What's your recommended source for an 8.8?

94cobra69ss396 01-07-2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12835)

I thought we were going to run the Mazda rearend at first to see how it held up? If not, wait until I pick up the car and I'll measre the rear axle to see how wide it is. Then I can compare it to the Explorer and the Cobra to see if either would work without narrowing. If one of those is the right width we can just pull one from a wrecked car or truck. If they're both too wide I say we pull one from an Explorer and then narrow it.

What type of rear axle does the RX7 have under it now? Is it a solid axle or is it independent?

Vettezuki 01-07-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 12864)
I thought we were going to run the Mazda rearend at first to see how it held up? If not, wait until I pick up the car and I'll measre the rear axle to see how wide it is. Then I can compare it to the Explorer and the Cobra to see if either would work without narrowing. If one of those is the right width we can just pull one from a wrecked car or truck. If they're both too wide I say we pull one from an Explorer and then narrow it.

What type of rear axle does the RX7 have under it now? Is it a solid axle or is it independent?

It's an IRS witha wee pumpkin and ity bity half shafts. I've heard the diffs from the Turbo II cars are pretty stout, but obviously the way a turbo rotary delivers power is completely different than a blown V8, but *maybe* that'd work. We'd at least have to beef up the half shafts in that scenario.

After looking at it more closely last night, with sticky tires, I'd expect total destruction in less than ten runs with the stock unit, if not the first one. :huh: I can post some pics later tonight.

94cobra69ss396 01-07-2009 11:01 AM

If you want to measure it tonight and post it I'll measure the Explorer and Cobra. Measure from the wheel mounting surface. Otherwise I can do it when I have the car.

Vettezuki 01-07-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 12867)
If you want to measure it tonight and post it I'll measure the Explorer and Cobra. Measure from the wheel mounting surface. Otherwise I can do it when I have the car.

Will do. I'm also going to do a little more research on Turbo II diffs and aftermarket half shafts to see what they can hold. There certainly have been JDM RX-7s that put out way more power than we will be, but it's super high revving turbo power, not blown displacement.

SeanPlunk 01-07-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12835)

There is an all Ford junkyard in Placentia. Maybe we could get it out of a wrecked Explorer there?

Vettezuki 01-07-2009 11:46 AM

I'm doing some research with the V8RX7 boys. From what I've found so far, the stock NA unit is "designed for failure behind a V8". However, it seems the Turbo unit is pretty stout, and has a 4.1 ratio as we'd want. More to come. It'd be kind cool to keep the IRS because then we could use it for straight line and single lap AutoX type stuff just for shits and giggles. We'll see. I'd just like to avoid too many complex re-engineering efforts more than anything.

big2bird 01-07-2009 01:37 PM

I would be willing to bet, with the first popped clutch at 3,500RPM, that stock unit will grenade.
For straight line work, a 9" with a spool.............

Street car needs compromising on racing.

Autocross needs compromising on street and straight line.

Straight line needs....................well, you get it.:D