Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Meet and Greet (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Hola from Orange County! (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23289)

AARP 12-14-2010 06:05 PM

Hola from Orange County!

Hey guys,
So, how to write this and not make it sound like a job interview...
Basically, I went along with John AKA blackax in his CTS-V on the latest GMR ride and had a great time. I'm a newbie when it comes to cars and just got my license in October. I'm currently looking for something that can keep up with you guys on the road, but won't break the bank considering insurance for a 16 year old male is crazy expensive.

I can't wait to see some of those vids from the ride! I have a couple photos I'll post to the thread.

EDIT: Crap, I forgot to put my name's Sean.

Redondo Jon 12-14-2010 06:55 PM

Hi Sean. Clever screen name. You’re a brave soul riding with John. (just messin with you John, your burnout at the bottom was awesome)

Vettezuki 12-14-2010 07:04 PM

Welcome aboard. As for recommendation, a pretty decent choice might be a Cobalt SS. Great handling car, fast enough to be fun, insurance is reasonable (I think), etc. In stock trim they're ho-hum looking, but decked out, I think they look pretty good.

AARP 12-14-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redondo Jon (Post 64508)
Hi Sean. Clever screen name. You’re a brave soul riding with John. (just messin with you John, your burnout at the bottom was awesome)

If you think that was awesome, you should've seen what happened a couple minutes later :censored:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 64511)
Welcome aboard. As for recommendation, a pretty decent choice might be a Cobalt SS. Great handling car, fast enough to be fun, insurance is reasonable (I think), etc. In stock trim they're ho-hum looking, but decked out, I think they look pretty good.

An interesting choice, but usually the name of the game with insurance is the older the cheaper. I don't think the Cobalt has been around long enough to get those prices down.

I'm currently trying to convince the parents that $230 a month to insure a 94 Z28 is reasonable :nuts:

SoCalC55 12-14-2010 07:29 PM

Welcome Sean

ah oh more Seans.... :inout:

Vettezuki 12-14-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AARP (Post 64512)
. . . I'm currently trying to convince the parents that $230 a month to insure a 94 Z28 is reasonable :nuts:

Mmm, Gen II camaro might be good. You can pick them up sorta cheap and they really are a great platform. You probably could get the insurance way down from there.

AARP 12-14-2010 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 64514)
Mmm, Gen II camaro might be good. You can pick them up sorta cheap and they really are a great platform. You probably could get the insurance way down from there.

I'll keep an eye out, but the ones that show up on craigslist in my ~$4000 budget are usually beaten to holy hell. If anyone finds a good car in that range be sure to lemme know.

blackax 12-14-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redondo Jon (Post 64508)

too bad I still had stability control on

kdracer73 12-14-2010 09:29 PM

Welcome ! I agree, second gen Camaros are not that cheap. The " Cheap" ones are beat to hell. And every Bubba thinks it is worth it's weight in gold.
It is a good platform (for me anyway) but, the 4th gens handle and stop way better in stock form.

blackax 12-14-2010 09:41 PM

I'm thinking a little fiero gt or a vw with a vr6 would be nice