Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Import (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   And the resale value king is... (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10923)

SeanPlunk 12-07-2009 09:06 PM

And the resale value king is...

The MkIV Supra. WOW, these things held value well. I'd love to have one, but holy crap look at these prices :eek::eek::eek:

SoCalC55 12-07-2009 09:26 PM

...NOT AMGs

Who says that a car is a bad investment?

Vettezuki 12-08-2009 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 39719)
The MkIV Supra. WOW, these things held value well. I'd love to have one, but holy crap look at these prices :eek::eek::eek:

My brother was into Supras when he was young. Good examples were going for like $10k or something reasonable like, then something tragic happened. We know it as "The Fast and the Furious".

Vettezuki 12-08-2009 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalC55 (Post 39720)
. . . Who says that a car is a bad investment?

Unless you REALLY know what you're doing with collector cars, or get just plain lucky (and sell the asset at the top end of appreciation), cars are a straight up money pit period.

enkeivette 12-08-2009 03:06 AM

Tell me about it :(

BADDASSC6 12-08-2009 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 39737)
Unless you REALLY know what you're doing with collector cars, or get just plain lucky (and sell the asset at the top end of appreciation), cars are a straight up money pit period.

Wisely spoken.

SeanPlunk 12-08-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 39737)

True, but their are examples of cars in the last 20ish years even that have appreciated. The Enzo, McLaren F1, and Buick GNX are just a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Vettezuki 12-08-2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 39761)
. . .The Enzo, McLaren F1

Big buck big boy territory. For that matter the Enzos were by invitation only I think.

Quote:

. . . Buick GNX
Again rare, basically collectible from the get go. And even so I wouldn't think the ROI over the period is all that hot, especially when properly accounting for TCI (interest on payments, insurance, and all other operational costs over the period).

I feel sorry for 99.9% of people who think of cars as an investment. Now if you're clever, you can substantially reduce the COST of your hobby by owning desirable models, letting others pay depreciation, maintaining and exchanging while still higher on the value scale, but that doesn't make it an investment.

jedhead 12-08-2009 11:06 AM

I missed out on a couple investments in my past. I wanted to buy a 1971 Hemi Cuda for my first car for $2000. My Dad and I had a joint savings account. My father told his 17 yr old son "I am going to save your life" and would not let me withdraw the money. Looking back he probably saved my life. When I was stationed in Key West FL in 1979 a chief want to trade his 1968 Maroon/White Shelby GT500KR convertible with 53K miles for my 1974 Jensen Healey and $1000. I had the money, but I would not be able to afford to drive the Shelby back to the west coast (8mpg vs 30mpg). I did have my Dad's Shell credit card, but I knew that he would not think that was an emergency. Looking back I should have done it anyway and took the heat when I got home. In 1981 I tried to buy a yellow 1971 GTO Judge Convertible with 9K miles, but another guy made a better offer. I regret not trading for the Shelby the most. Hindsight is always 20-20.

Bob

enkeivette 12-08-2009 01:31 PM

My step Dad's 69 Mustang Shelby Cobra GT 500 was certainly an investment that he let go for $15K 20 years ago. Car's worth more than $80K today.

And Ben our cars have actually gone up in value since I bought mine. I bought mine for $4900 with 78K miles on it and and no issues other than a broken motor mount. With the custom 82 bumper molded in.

Find me a 78 Vette for less than 5K with decent paint and around only 80K miles on it.

Not saying that I'll be able to turn a profit, but if I had left it stock I would have definitely made a profit just flipping it as it was.