Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Auto (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Lee Mfg Sunland, ca (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63312)

Damian 11-11-2014 05:05 PM

It's not an alignment issue. You can adjust the steering box and it won't affect your alignment at all.

injdinjn 11-15-2014 07:47 PM

It's better than it was, they probably replaced some bearings but nothing else. It's sort of a pain on trip.
Bigger issue is the pump, guess a rebuilt from AZ. It's a lifetime warranty so why buy the new one for a lot more money, they want a core on both.

Shaolin Crane 11-15-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 135090)
It's not an alignment issue. You can adjust the steering box and it won't affect your alignment at all.

It will not affect caster/camber but that is still a part of the overall alignment. Try installing a box that is too tight and tell me how that works out for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by injdinjn
It's better than it was, they probably replaced some bearings but nothing else. It's sort of a pain on trip.
Bigger issue is the pump, guess a rebuilt from AZ. It's a lifetime warranty so why buy the new one for a lot more money, they want a core on both.

The pump is definitely bogus, Ford really hasn't changed pump designs at all. The powersteering pump in the mustang is nearly identical to the superduty one and I have used the mustang one as a core before.

Damian 11-16-2014 12:25 AM

Loosening the lock nut and adjusting that allen screw will not affect your alignment at all. That only affects the return to center on the worm gear. After my last steering box install on the Ty (3rd one), I haven't even got an alignment to fix my steering wheel being off center. Ive even adjusted it a few times since the install. I even Googled it right now and nothing reflects that claim.

There is another adjustment on a steering box, but that's done during assembly and can not be adjust once it is assembled.

Shaolin Crane 11-16-2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 135212)
Loosening the lock nut and adjusting that allen screw will not affect your alignment at all. That only affects the return to center on the worm gear. After my last steering box install on the Ty (3rd one), I haven't even got an alignment to fix my steering wheel being off center. Ive even adjusted it a few times since the install. I even Googled it right now and nothing reflects that claim.

There is another adjustment on a steering box, but that's done during assembly and can not be adjust once it is assembled.

Since we're gonna piss into the wind here,

Primary angles of Alignment

Front: Caster (left & right)
Front: Camber (left & right)
Front: Toe (left, right & total)
Rear: Camber (left & right)
Rear: Toe (left, right & total)

Secondary angles of Alignment
The secondary angles include numerous other adjustments, such as:

SAI (Steering Axis Inclination) (left & right)
Included angle (left & right)
Toe out on turns (left & right)
Maximum Turns (left & right)
Toe curve change (left & right)
Track width difference
Wheelbase difference
Front ride height (left & right)
Rear ride height (left & right)
Frame angle
Setback (front & rear)

MY POINT WAS
Try adjusting the box since they CANNOT be dead on without being installed on the vehicle due to VARIABLES that a machine cannot accommodate for.