Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engines, Transimissions, Suspension, etc. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Thanks BigBird! (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6528)

enkeivette 08-09-2009 10:00 PM

Thanks BigBird!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...SDbushings.jpg

BigBird made some custom bushings for my distributor (6, 8 & 10 degrees), now I can run 18 initial and limit it to 24 total.

If you want to have your dist setup properly, you know who to call, and it ain't ghost busters. :hail:

Will report back after tuning tomorrow.

SeanPlunk 08-09-2009 10:20 PM

Very slick! Keep us updated.

94cobra69ss396 08-10-2009 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 29142)

BigBird made some custom bushings for my distributor (6, 8 & 10 degrees), now I can run 18 initial and limit it to 24 total.

If you want to have your dist setup properly, you know who to call, and it ain't ghost busters. :hail:

Good to hear but I still think you are running too much timing for 10psi of boost. You still need to add a boost retard so that you can get the most out of that engine without it pinging in the higher boost levels.

big2bird 08-10-2009 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 29142)

Use only stock plugs, no exotics. They missfire under extreme pressures.
Use .035" gap or smaller. The more cylinder pressure, the smaller gap required.
Set the initial to 16* with a timing light to start, with wires unplugged. Start the engine, and set the high end to 24*, then bring it to idle and see where you are. If it kicks at restart, change bushing to 8* and reset.
As you determine the best idle timing, and the high end of advance you can go, we can make a final bushing if you need one.:thumbs_up:

big2bird 08-10-2009 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 29155)
Good to hear but I still think you are running too much timing for 10psi of boost. You still need to add a boost retard so that you can get the most out of that engine without it pinging in the higher boost levels.

While that would certainly make it easier, I feel that adding an intercooler would yield more benefits. Of course, it will be a nightmare. I can see 4 hood pins with no hinge, sugar scoop headlights to give him more room, and lots of fittings and obstacles to install it. In a C-3 with no cooler, his boost air must be really hot, and is not helping at all.
I would also like to see less boost, and more alternator rpms to lower his idle speed.

enkeivette 08-10-2009 11:41 AM

An intercooler is on my future. A long thin one will nestle where my frame extension used to be. I can fit a 9"x30" or at an angle, more like a 12"x30" no hood mods necessary.

Will not turn down the boost. And from 34 to 24, I think the timing should be fine now.

Vettezuki 08-10-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 29160)
. . and more alternator rpms to lower his idle speed.

Please explain. I don't understand.

94cobra69ss396 08-10-2009 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 29160)
While that would certainly make it easier, I feel that adding an intercooler would yield more benefits. Of course, it will be a nightmare. I can see 4 hood pins with no hinge, sugar scoop headlights to give him more room, and lots of fittings and obstacles to install it. In a C-3 with no cooler, his boost air must be really hot, and is not helping at all.
I would also like to see less boost, and more alternator rpms to lower his idle speed.

That's my piont. I'm also running the Cobra without an intercooler and I only have 17* total timing although I now have 11-12psi. If I bump it up so that I have 21* I get detonation. I think if he's going to run it without an intercooler that he should back the timing down to be safe. Sure it will have less power on the top end but at least he won't break another piston. He obviously can't hear it detonating even though it was. Then when he takes it to the track he can run it on race fuel and add more timing.

I guess I'm just overly concerned because I can hear mine detonate if I have too much timing. I've actually back the Cobra down to 15* total for summer because when I have the whole family in the car and run the air it will ping a little in the upper rpms if I get on it on hotter days.

big2bird 08-10-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 29190)
Please explain. I don't understand.

His alternator is running too slow, and he is dropping ignition below 1,000 RPM.

big2bird 08-10-2009 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 29192)
That's my piont. I'm also running the Cobra without an intercooler and I only have 17* total timing although I now have 11-12psi. If I bump it up so that I have 21* I get detonation. I think if he's going to run it without an intercooler that he should back the timing down to be safe. Sure it will have less power on the top end but at least he won't break another piston. He obviously can't hear it detonating even though it was. Then when he takes it to the track he can run it on race fuel and add more timing.

I guess I'm just overly concerned because I can hear mine detonate if I have too much timing. I've actually back the Cobra down to 15* total for summer because when I have the whole family in the car and run the air it will ping a little in the upper rpms if I get on it on hotter days.

Thanks. Now I understand your concern. Hmmmmmmmmmm