Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engines, Transimissions, Suspension, etc. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Best way to test coil? (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24265)

Vettezuki 01-15-2011 10:29 PM

Best way to test coil?

The one buck truck no starty no more; just turns and turns. I figrd it needed new plugs and wires anyway so I went and did that. No difference. I'mma wonder'n if it's the coil that went bye bye. So, what's the preferred safe way to test that? And for that matter, since I don't have a spark plug tester thing, what's the best way to safely test if there's spark at the plugs?

kdracer73 01-16-2011 10:18 AM

Old plug in the wire, grounded to block/bracket. Or a screwdriver in the wire end. Hold the screwdriver about 1/4 inch off the block/bracket and see if it sparks. It will take two people though. I am at Frankie's and was planning on dropping off the video card. I'll give you a call.

Shaolin Crane 01-16-2011 02:28 PM

Stick your tongue to it and have someone crank the car :)

Damian 01-17-2011 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 66657)
Stick your tongue to it and have someone crank the car :)

If you go this route, I really want to be there!

Vettezuki 01-17-2011 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 66671)
If you go this route, I really want to be there!

I was thinking it would be an interesting experiment. I'll turn the key. Since Shaolin mentioned the idea, I nominate him for tounge duty.

Shaolin Crane 01-17-2011 01:27 AM

I've already done it :huh: Its a right of passage sort of thing, now its your turn :)

Vettezuki 01-17-2011 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 66673)
I've already done it :huh: Its a right of passage sort of thing, now its your turn :)

Yeah, but your like what early twenties and have no ability to feel left. I regard this as non-desirable. ;)

Shaolin Crane 01-17-2011 01:38 AM

I see it as I have done the painstaking work of deadening myself already, this would be a good start for you :D
Or you could run your hands through hot sand :huh:
or spend the $3 on the spark plug tester thingamahbob

BADDASSC6 01-17-2011 08:26 AM

Tape over the connections with duct tape. Then stick the probes of a multi-meter through the tape in such a way that the tape will hold the probe on the contact. Set the monitor on voltage mode and crank the car. I would make sure you know that the expected voltage should be first.

C5Natie 01-17-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 66672)
I was thinking it would be an interesting experiment. I'll turn the key. Since Shaolin mentioned the idea, I nominate him for tounge duty.

Cant hurt, its only 20-30,000volts. Thats only 3,333 9volt batteries. :lmfao: