Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   So I'm still set on black, but... (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=710)

enkeivette 09-30-2008 12:03 PM

So I'm still set on black, but...

Haven't yet decided what type of black. :smack: I'm not really looking for opinions so much as examples or experience, if any of you have experience spraying these or pics of any of these. Please post cuz I need to buy the paint like, yesterday. I can't find pics of any of these believe it or not.

Black gunmetal candy (flake) over a black base.

Black candy (dye) over a metallic blue base. (This is my favorite idea as of now, but I'm told it would be nearly impossible to shoot. Can you see the silver beneath the black in the pic below? Imagine it were blue)

HOK Immitation Candy?

Black candy (dye) over a metallic silver base. This is the only one I have been able to find:

SexyLxy 09-30-2008 12:36 PM

Just make a decision and get your s!@# painted already. How long has it been? You need to get your ride on the road by october....(I'm starting to think that ain't happening). I'm only kidding but...but seriously...make a decision and get a move on. :D

BRUTAL64 09-30-2008 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SexyLxy (Post 6851)
Just make a decision and get your s!@# painted already. How long has it been? You need to get your ride on the road by october....(I'm starting to think that ain't happening). I'm only kidding but...but seriously...make a decision and get a move on. :D

I think he should take his time. Just like me. Primer Black is cool.:p

enkeivette 09-30-2008 02:18 PM

I'll probably take Glenn's advice, primer it, take it on the cruise, look for cracks, then paint it. Guess I'll just wear ear plugs on the cruise.

It has been about 4 months now, if you've ever taken off 7 layers of paint and crap with a DA and by hand, you'd understand better why it's taking so long. This ain't no scuff and spray job. I want the clear to last for more than 4 years this time.

Vettezuki 09-30-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 6857)
I'll probably take Glenn's advice, primer it, take it on the cruise, look for cracks, then paint it. Guess I'll just wear ear plugs on the cruise.

It has been about 4 months now, if you've ever taken off 7 layers of paint and crap with a DA and by hand, you'd understand better why it's taking so long. This ain't no scuff and spray job. I want the clear to last for more than 4 years this time.

It's going to be great when your done. I love the greyish black above, but maybe a little less flake.

enkeivette 09-30-2008 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 6860)
It's going to be great when your done. I love the greyish black above, but maybe a little less flake.

The funny thing about that is, it's actually silver. You spray on a metallic silver base coat... the car looks silver, then you spray on a candy black clear and finish up with the clear coat. It's a 3 stage paint job. The car would look jet black at night and even in the afternoon, but under the sun you would be able to see the silver underneath, depending on the angle. It's pretty trick.

But candies are hard to do. Not enough and it won't look black, too much and the silver won't show through. Also candies tend to spit, even looking at the sample I can see three spots of black spit.

I was leaning towards doing a blue base underneath yesterday, but now I'm thinking the silver base would match the wheels nicely.

CorruptCulture 09-30-2008 05:22 PM

Who's doing the painting?

big_G 09-30-2008 08:08 PM

Candies, especially lighter shades, are next to impossible to touch up. I strongly advise my customers to re-think any candy job that will see street usage. PPG and DuPont have some high-end 2 stage paints that mimic candies pretty well. Check them out if you can. BTW, once you go black, you never go back. BTW, the center stripe is wineberry over pure gold 3 stage candy. I painted the 'Vette in 1989, still holding up pretty well. :bigthumbsup:

enkeivette 09-30-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorruptCulture (Post 6866)
Who's doing the painting?

Bill Maynard, Eric's Dad.

Big G, your car is gorgeous! The body and paint are too good to be true. I probably wouldn't be doing any touch ups, I don't have regular access to spray equipment.

So I'm told that candies are extraordinarily hard to spray. I've been told it's easy to make them look blotchy, is this true? Any advice? Warnings?

CorruptCulture 09-30-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 6872)
Bill Maynard, Eric's Dad.

Big G, your car is gorgeous! The body and paint are too good to be true. I probably wouldn't be doing any touch ups, I don't have regular access to spray equipment.

So I'm told that candies are extraordinarily hard to spray. I've been told it's easy to make them look blotchy, is this true? Any advice? Warnings?

Oh good deal. How's he doing? I know he wasn't in the best shape about a year or two ago.