Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Project Cars (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   X-pipe painting. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1022)

SeanPlunk 12-28-2008 09:16 PM

X-pipe painting.

So we didn't get my x-pipe on this weekend (the lift I was going to use was occupied by a project car), so we took the extra time to clean it up and paint it. The pipe itself is used and it had some surface scratches and rust. Yesterday Mike and I took some solvent and cleaned it up and then used some steel wool to further square things away. Today Adam and I sanded it down and then used some really high temperature paint and painted it. I have to say, the end result is impressive. The damn thing looks almost new again. Now all I have to do is get it on the car :D

Leedom 12-28-2008 10:09 PM

Lets make Sean's statement a little more accurate. Sean sanded it and Adam painted it.:D

Vettezuki 12-28-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 11718)
So we didn't get my x-pipe on this weekend (the lift I was going to use was occupied by a project car), so we took the extra time to clean it up and paint it. The pipe itself is used and it had some surface scratches and rust. Yesterday Mike and I took some solvent and cleaned it up and then used some steel wool to further square things away. Today Adam and I sanded it down and then used some really high temperature paint and painted it. I have to say, the end result is impressive. The damn thing looks almost new again. Now all I have to do is get it on the car :D

How bout a pic? BTW, for any of you local guys I have a medium sized blast cabinate that's perfect for this kinda thing.

SeanPlunk 12-28-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 11723)
Lets make Sean's statement a little more accurate. Sean sanded it and Adam painted it.:D

I also did the steel wool and the solvent, but it's a team effort, right? Did you ever get that quadrant done?

Leedom 12-28-2008 11:50 PM

Yeah, Aaron, Jose, and I finally finished around 8:30. Now I am going to be spending the next week adjusting the clutch.

94cobra69ss396 12-29-2008 12:47 AM

Quote:

Don't be surprised if that high temp paint smokes a little and then turns powdery the first time you heat it up. I had that happen when I used it on the old headers on the Chevelle.

SeanPlunk 12-29-2008 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 11730)
Don't be surprised if that high temp paint smokes a little and then turns powdery the first time you heat it up. I had that happen when I used it on the old headers on the Chevelle.

How did the paint hold up over time? I'm going to follow the instructions for baking the stuff on, so I'm hoping it lasts a while. I'm basically just trying to prevent rust :bigthumbsup:

BRUTAL64 12-29-2008 09:35 AM

Quote:

I actually forgot what you were doing this week-end. Sorry. So when are you doing the install?

SeanPlunk 12-29-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 11762)
I actually forgot what you were doing this week-end. Sorry. So when are you doing the install?

Not sure. Do you know anyone that would let us use a lift? I guess doing it without one is a total nightmare. I just want to get it done before our dyno day on Feb. 21st. Are you gonna dyno the Vette Glenn? That'd be sweet :bigthumbsup:

BlacknBoostn 12-30-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Sean, I was thinking a bit about doing the same thing to my new exhaust before bolting it on... I was a little worried about future rust though. I want to polish the tips again, but I don't want to worry about the surface rusting.. the rest of the exhaust can remain painted I think...

What you think I should do? I was originally thinking steel wool, but once the paint is off the tips I want to safely polish it..