Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engines, Transimissions, Suspension, etc. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Resistor in series with IAT sensor (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47643)

enkeivette 04-01-2013 01:02 AM

Resistor in series with IAT sensor

So, there are a few companies like JET that sell resistors to replace the IAT so the engine thinks its cold and richens the air fuel mixture (with the intent to make more power).

So, heres my question, would it be possible to add a resistor inline with the IAT sensor to increase the resistance slightly leaning out the air fuel ratio (with the hope to make gas mileage better)?

Example: Suppose the IAT reads between 5k ohms (cold) and 8k ohms (hot). If you added a 1k resistor in series with the resistor, (I would use a wideband to see how it affected it) you might be able to lean it out right? Or run one in parallel to decrease if the resistance was inverse to temp.

Or would the O2 sensor reading just adjust for this?

blackax 04-01-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 112926)
So, there are a few companies like JET that sell resistors to replace the IAT so the engine thinks its cold and richens the air fuel mixture (with the intent to make more power).

So, heres my question, would it be possible to add a resistor inline with the IAT sensor to increase the resistance slightly leaning out the air fuel ratio (with the hope to make gas mileage better)?

Example: Suppose the IAT reads between 5k ohms (cold) and 8k ohms (hot). If you added a 1k resistor in series with the resistor, (I would use a wideband to see how it affected it) you might be able to lean it out right? Or run one in parallel to decrease if the resistance was inverse to temp.

Or would the O2 sensor reading just adjust for this?

I've seen hits like this on Ebay so it should work. But shouldn't you really make the change in the PCM/ECU?

enkeivette 04-01-2013 10:35 AM

Yes, yes you should, haha.

Seems the o2 sensor would just correct it and operate on a different scale after all. Cars are too damn smart nowadays

Damian 04-03-2013 10:39 AM

Why not just put the AIT sensor in a different location like right at the air filter? Quite a few guys do that on the GTO forums. Thy say the MAF sensors heat soak and that throws it off.

enkeivette 05-18-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 113041)
Why not just put the AIT sensor in a different location like right at the air filter? Quite a few guys do that on the GTO forums. Thy say the MAF sensors heat soak and that throws it off.

That's a good idea for improving hp with a richer mixture, but if anything it would make your fuel economy worse.

Damian 05-20-2013 10:24 PM

The GTO guys say they do it because the MAF sensor heat soaks therefore the IAT reads warmer than what it really is. My guess is that it reads more accurately. But depending on if you are running a bit rich or a bit lean, a resistor would work for you.

When I was building my HHO cell, during my research, a lot of guys were running resistors in their upstream O2 sensor to do the same thing.