Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Auto (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   10k car for my fiance (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57373)

enkeivette 03-25-2014 01:54 PM

10k car for my fiance

Have I shared that news yet? Engaged, yay :)

So we need to get her a car for about 10k. I want something small, as sporty as possible, but ~30 miles to the gallon.

Annnd go! ...No fox bodies Guy.

94cobra69ss396 03-25-2014 02:15 PM

Congrats but I can't help with the car.

Vettezuki 03-25-2014 04:04 PM

A) Congrats.

B) 2006 Mazda MX-5, which I just happen to have, and, after the engine swap will be in good running condition again. Well under 10K. Brand new cloth top, fairly new tires.

BADDASSC6 03-25-2014 10:49 PM

Congrats and concur with miata

enkeivette 03-25-2014 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 128273)
A) Congrats.

B) 2006 Mazda MX-5, which I just happen to have, and, after the engine swap will be in good running condition again. Well under 10K. Brand new cloth top, fairly new tires.

Why not sell it to me with the broken engine and save us both some money?

enkeivette 03-25-2014 10:53 PM

Whats wrong with the engine btw? And is it already being worked on? Already purchased a donor engine?

Vettezuki 03-25-2014 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 128279)
Whats wrong with the engine btw? And is it already being worked on? Already purchased a donor engine?

It somehow ran low on oil and now makes an unpleasant sound from the bottom of the engine. So AT LEAST a bad main bearing probably, but you know all the other things that can go wrong.

I was going to by a a replacement used engine from Texas tomorrow, but I'll hold off. If you want to buy it as-is, come and take a look at the overall condition of the car for yourself and make me an offer it seems like it might work out for you. I have no need nor is it my nature to dick people around. My plan was to replace engine, fix windshield (it's cracked) sun visors (which fall down) and one trim piece. I figured to spend $3k for all that and to sell for around $6k. That's where my head is at. Obviously there's some value in saving me hassle.

The car's interrior is in solid shape, the top is literally brand new (that's $1k right there) and blah blah. LMK.

enkeivette 03-26-2014 06:34 AM

Feel free to fix the window and sun visors and add that to your price. Unless of course you are just too fed up with cars at this point to do anything :) But I will come check it out, definitely.

As of yesterday I was considering either an MX5, Solstice, or the Sky. So I am serious about it. I was actually considering the MX5 because I liked your wife's car so much. What sort of mileage does it get realistically? Automatic? How many miles are on it?

enkeivette 03-26-2014 06:36 AM

And how much is the replacement engine? Although, Id be more inclined to get it machined and buy new internals.

Vettezuki 03-26-2014 10:23 AM

It's an awesome little car and until the Protege had trouble necessitating a new car, we intended to keep it after fixing.

It's a six speed automatic, that you can manually shift (paddles or lever).

Mileage depends on foot, but realistically average is probably somewhere higher 20s.

Replacement engines range between low 2s to 3s depending on details. You could probably save money by going through it yourself and havnig it machined as needed, but that takes time and relative to the money you'd save may not be worth it now that you've got a gig, etc. But that's your call if interested.

I was going to go to Pick a Part for the windshield once it was running. They do as good a job as anyone and charge quite a bit less. Basically I wasn't going to do any of the trim stuff until it was running again.

Let me know if you want to look at it and if so when.