Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Wash your car after fires (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=864)

Vettezuki 11-20-2008 10:55 PM

Wash your car after fires

Haven't checked it out, but I heard that the ashes in the air when mixed with moisture in the air will create a mixture that will etch right through your clear coat. Bottom line, wash your car thoroughly right after a fire and regularly until there's no more ash in the air . . . if you care about your paint job.

BRUTAL64 11-21-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 9011)
Haven't checked it out, but I heard that the ashes in the air when mixed with moisture in the air will create a mixture that will etch right through your clear coat. Bottom line, wash your car thoroughly right after a fire and regularly until there's no more ash in the air . . . if you care about your paint job.

Thanks for the tip. I'll get right on it.:D

enkeivette 11-21-2008 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 9031)
Thanks for the tip. I'll get right on it.:D

Ha!

silvertermi04 12-01-2008 11:58 AM

One of the first things that i did was cover it up and Wash it the day right after the fires were put out.

SeanPlunk 12-01-2008 12:31 PM

My car is dirty. I need to wash and wax it next weekend. Maybe Saturday. What wax do you guys use?

enkeivette 12-01-2008 10:45 PM

The detailer says:

Meguiars Gold will last the longest, but it will likely look blotchy a day or two after you put it on. I use this on my cars because I'm lazy and don't like waxing often.

Meguiars Tech Wax goes on thick, but rubs off evenly and looks clean right afterwards.

Edit: But not the spray on tech wax, the paste.

enkeivette 12-01-2008 10:49 PM

Just do me a favor, avoid the body seams and emblems with the applicator. Then go back and apply it carefully around those spots. I hate wax around emblems and between seams.

ZexGX 03-15-2009 12:24 PM

After the last two big fires we had here in SoCal (Irvine, Anaheim Hills) my under-hood paint got owned and has this black stuff seemingly etched into it (wax won't take it out and engine degreaser only seems to smear it around a little). I don't care as I plan on getting a nicer hood in the future, but it still sucks. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 9850)
Just do me a favor, avoid the body seams and emblems with the applicator. Then go back and apply it carefully around those spots. I hate wax around emblems and between seams.

I agree, but if you can't avoid it then one of the tools I use is sort of like a pen - it has a soft nylon brush on one end and a soft rubber "eraser" sort of thing that goes in between body gaps and in between emblems/moldings to get wax out of cracks. :) I think Autozone or Pep Boys have them.

Vettezuki 03-15-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZexGX (Post 17914)
After the last two big fires we had here in SoCal (Irvine, Anaheim Hills) my under-hood paint got owned and has this black stuff seemingly etched into it (wax won't take it out and engine degreaser only seems to smear it around a little). . .

You are correct. It is actually etched. The ashes plus moisture forms a corrosive mixture.

D.denly 10-07-2009 03:45 AM

Wash your car after fires

Usually once a week.

Hadn;t washed it for 3 and a half weeks until yesterday and it was killing me driving a dirty car lol.

Next day off I get Im gonna do the full wash claybar polish deal just coz I can.