Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tickets and Accidents (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Ticket help (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16127)

Damian 05-06-2010 01:17 AM

Ticket help

I got a speeding ticket on the 10fwy from a city cop. How can you find out what their jurisdiction is? I just found out that a city cop can give you a ticket on the fwy if it happens in their jurisdiction. I always thought the couldn't give you tickets on the fwy, only CHP could.

kdracer73 05-06-2010 06:25 AM

In California , any cop can give a ticket anywhere :nutkick:

jedhead 05-06-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 50927)
I got a speeding ticket on the 10fwy from a city cop. How can you find out what their jurisdiction is? I just found out that a city cop can give you a ticket on the fwy if it happens in their jurisdiction. I always thought the couldn't give you tickets on the fwy, only CHP could.

CHP only on the freeway is a courtesy/money thing. The state wants all the revenue from the tickets.

Bob

Damian 05-22-2010 10:27 AM

I haven't had a speeding ticket for almost seven years, and I got two (2) this month. This last one I honestly thought the speed limit was higher, and I saw him on his bike with the radar gun. I saw him, looked at my speedo, looked up for a speed sign and it was a half a block ahead saying 35mph and I was going 52. He was very nice and liked the Goat, but I still got the ticket. Oh well, it was my fault. The wife is upset with me now.

GL3 10-03-2011 04:40 PM

Jurisdiction

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 50927)

Jurisdiction merely means authority. How do they have authority over a sovereign traveling in a non commercial capacity? They don't unless you were hauling goods or people for hire. Cops can arrest for only 3 things. Were you in an accident? Did you commit a crime? Does he/she have a verified complaint by oath or affirmation from a damaged party? No victim, no crime. i usually ask what are you accusing me of? They don't like that word because it means they claim you commited a crime, but absent a damage party, there is no crime.

Shaolin Crane 10-03-2011 11:09 PM

Ive gotten tickets from CHP on surface streets, something about a truck pouring out the cloud of Hades is a bad thing :huh:

For future reference the saying that generally gets you out of a speeding ticket on the freeway is "i was traveling at a reasonably safe speed consistent with the flow of traffic"

Go to city hall and pull the speed survey and see what the maximum allowable speed is. Also, fight it every time, there is a good chance the officer wont show, forgets who you are, or just wont care.

EDIT Why the fuck am i responding to a old ass fucking thread :nono:

Vettezuki 10-04-2011 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 52078)
I haven't had a speeding ticket for almost seven years, and I got two (2) this month. This last one I honestly thought the speed limit was higher, and I saw him on his bike with the radar gun. I saw him, looked at my speedo, looked up for a speed sign and it was a half a block ahead saying 35mph and I was going 52. He was very nice and liked the Goat, but I still got the ticket. Oh well, it was my fault. The wife is upset with me now.

This is exactly what happened to me on Beach Blvd. I pulled the speed survey and it was out of date. Also the location was practically an example lifted from the code defining speed trap. I did a trial by declaration and it was dismissed.

Vettezuki 10-04-2011 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GL3 (Post 84114)
Jurisdiction merely means authority. How do they have authority over a sovereign traveling in a non commercial capacity? They don't unless you were hauling goods or people for hire. Cops can arrest for only 3 things. Were you in an accident? Did you commit a crime? Does he/she have a verified complaint by oath or affirmation from a damaged party? No victim, no crime. i usually ask what are you accusing me of? They don't like that word because it means they claim you commited a crime, but absent a damage party, there is no crime.

As an anarchist myself, I tend to agree with soverign citizens on a lot of issues and particularly on the idea of "no victim, no crime". The small, though meaningful difference is that in my ideal free society, all property is effectively privately owned and owners can set terms of use. For example, after the great people's revolution, and I own vast portions of the road network in North America :smack:, I will set terms of use similar to the autobahn, e.g., passing on the right will not be tolerated. Don't like it, don't drive on my roads. It's not a matter of crime, but terms of use. Think of it like you can't just go into a private restaurant half naked, even though nobody is being agressed against, but it violates the owners rules. Find a restaraunt the allows it (or requires it) and you're golden. In this way I'm not opposed to road regulations that support basic public safety. If someone is driving like a total jack ass, impaired, or what have you, please get them off the roads. If they're driving safely in good conditions, speed is something should really always be in the realm of judgement, particularly on highways. Just my $0.02.

Vettezuki 10-04-2011 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 84138)
Ive gotten tickets from CHP on surface streets, something about a truck pouring out the cloud of Hades is a bad thing :huh:

It was probably a Hwy. A lot of apparently surface streets in CA are acutally Highways, e.g., Beach Blvd.

Quote:

EDIT Why the fuck am i responding to a old ass fucking thread :nono:
Hey look, old thread.

Shaolin Crane 10-04-2011 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 84144)
It was probably a Hwy. A lot of apparently surface streets in CA are acutally Highways, e.g., Beach Blvd.

Hey look, old thread.

Not in covina, it wasnt even a main surface street. I dont care, it was a fix it ticket.