Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   B.S. Lounge (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Most hours worked? (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32656)

BADDASSC6 10-04-2011 08:41 PM

Most hours worked?

Question is that is the most hours you have put in in a day, week, month? This week has been tough 0600-2100 each day and sleeping onboard tomorrow.

Shaolin Crane 10-04-2011 08:54 PM

When renovating the dojo, i did a 70 hour pull. I got really sick after that.

Vettezuki 10-04-2011 09:13 PM

All things combined I'm at a constant 60+, that's day gig, plus other business. One week that particular comes to mind though was 6 days 0800 - 2300 and I had to be 100% meticulously focused second to second for about 25% of that time.

Sounds like you're having a ball. :smack: Probably best not to take too many shortcuts on a sub.

Shaolin Crane 10-04-2011 09:44 PM

Mine was a straight 70 hours, at the dojo, in the same Gi, the next week i got a terrible cold, was vomiting, probably during that time i drank probably 10 NOS drinks. After that was when it nearly ate my intestines out, and has ruined my ability to ingest caffeine

kdracer73 10-04-2011 10:04 PM

I used to put in 3, 16 hour days a week while working 2 jobs. One full time job 5 and 6 days a week in rotations and a part time job 3 nights a week. On my 5 day weeks , I worked the extra day at the part time job. The full time job was flat rate on labor, on 10 hour days most of the time. EDIT: I did this for 6 years.
Flat rate is based on the labor that it takes to do the job, like a commission, so no overtime either.

So it was 80 ish hours a week.

I still will stay at work sometimes until 10 or 11pm, if I have cars that need to be done. They asked me to stay until 9pm tonight, but I made plans to meet Frankie for dinner, and she was on the way already .
And I still have a second job on Saturdays.

Small White Car 10-04-2011 10:10 PM

~131,400

Give or take a few dozen and account for the odd leap year or two...

When I repossessed cars it was basically like being on call, all the time (24x365x15)

I'm torn, I'd never go back but mostly because the industry is way different now but if I could still go out and get paid for thieving cars like you could in the 90's, I'd be there in a heartbeat. It was an art back in the day, now it's just moving cars with a tow truck.

jedhead 10-04-2011 10:37 PM

116 hours in 7 days as a civilian, continued to work 16 hour days for 3 more days before getting a break. 32 hours straight once and I nodded of at a red light stopped with the clutch pushed in. I woke up and the light was still red, but I did not recognized any of the cars in the intersection. 49 hours straight only potty breaks and food was brought to me when I was in the Navy. Our internal navigation system was down on my aircraft carrier, no internal nav, no flights. Normally 12 on 12 off while out at sea 7 days a week.

Bob

Shaolin Crane 10-04-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Small White Car (Post 84213)
~131,400

Give or take a few dozen and account for the odd leap year or two...

When I repossessed cars it was basically like being on call, all the time (24x365x15)

I'm torn, I'd never go back but mostly because the industry is way different now but if I could still go out and get paid for thieving cars like you could in the 90's, I'd be there in a heartbeat. It was an art back in the day, now it's just moving cars with a tow truck.

Mercedes, BMW, Audi, pretty much all the luxury models, sent us keys to do our repos. Spot the car, take the key, drive away the car. Most of the time though we had to do some crawling into garages, locked parking structures etc.

Sonic03SVT 10-04-2011 11:24 PM

spent the better part of a year doing 75 hours a week working and taking 14 units at school, if that counts in there too :huh: Glad not to be in that boat anymore.

Vettezuki 10-04-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT (Post 84217)
spent the better part of a year doing 75 hours a week working and taking 14 units at school, if that counts in there too :huh: Glad not to be in that boat anymore.

My grandpa did something like that at engineering grad school. Not as many work hours, but would typically go to class and lab 7:30 - 12:00, work from 2:00/4:00 - 10:00 (at places like a Foundry doing enamel on cast iron bathtubs), do homework til he couldn't stand it; wash rinse repeat. He also had a breakdown towards the end. It's not really how you want to do anything if you can help it.

If I count what I would really consider work, it's really just 40 hours a week, since other business is kind of a different category. I'm 37. The goal is to be at (have the distinct option of) 0 hours a week by 50. :drink: