Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engines, Transimissions, Suspension, etc. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Changed T-Stat, Need ODBII Reader for Coolant Temp (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26019)

Vettezuki 03-10-2011 11:55 PM

Changed T-Stat, Need ODBII Reader for Coolant Temp

There's a lot of back story, but I'll try to stay on the main point.

Changed t-stat tonight to 160.
The tune I had done a couple months ago to account for larger injectors was also supposed to be for the 160 T-Stat.
My temp guage does not read correctly; I have the stock 82' Vette temp gauage, but the signal is coming from the LS1, so it reads way hotter than it is. I'm used to it being in the red, which as I recall from previous computer readings is about 200+- . . I think. However, after changing out the stat tonight it was off the scale past the thread so I stopped right away.

I had to use a Mr. Gasket 160 "Hi Performance" t-stat because the OEM version at 160 doesn't fit the neck Ihave to use coming out of the engine. I don't think I put the damn thing in backwards, the hose was good and hot, so it much be flowing hot water. :huh:

It looked pretty much like this. I put the cone side facing the hose and the "hand side" towards the motor.

I need someone with an ODBII capable scanner that will read Coolant Temp so I can know for sure what it is.

Anyone?

blackax 03-11-2011 01:49 AM

I got a bluetooth reader off ebay. One of the best things I ever got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLUET...ht_4686wt_1167

Vettezuki 03-11-2011 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackax (Post 70009)
I got a bluetooth reader off ebay. One of the best things I ever got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLUET...ht_4686wt_1167

I've been looking into those for my DroidX (+Torque). It seems the cheap ones as above are hit and miss. Yours seems to work. So when you coming over?

blackax 03-11-2011 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 70010)
I've been looking into those for my DroidX (+Torque). It seems the cheap ones as above are hit and miss. Yours seems to work. So when you coming over?

Ya It works great andI love Torque. I'm going out to west Covina tomorrow after work so I could drop it off on my way. :drink:

Vettezuki 03-11-2011 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackax (Post 70011)
Ya It works great andI love Torque. I'm going out to west Covina tomorrow after work so I could drop it off on my way. :drink:

Thank you! PM sent. Are you gonna run Mulholland? If so I can return it to you then.

blackax 03-11-2011 02:28 AM

No problem. I'm was planning on it. but i still have not made up my mind yet.

Vettezuki 03-11-2011 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackax (Post 70014)
No problem. I'm was planning on it. but i still have not made up my mind yet.

This is where we'll be at 1'27". I seriously want to get my Vette running after such a long hyatis so I can enjoy this run . . . t-tops down and all.

kdracer73 03-11-2011 06:46 AM

Damn ! Those guys have slow cars. Even my Toyota Yaris can beat a one minute 1/4 mile !

kdracer73 03-11-2011 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 70007)
There's a lot of back story, but I'll try to stay on the main point.

Changed t-stat tonight to 160.
The tune I had done a couple months ago to account for larger injectors was also supposed to be for the 160 T-Stat.
My temp guage does not read correctly; I have the stock 82' Vette temp gauage, but the signal is coming from the LS1, so it reads way hotter than it is. I'm used to it being in the red, which as I recall from previous computer readings is about 200+- . . I think. However, after changing out the stat tonight it was off the scale past the thread so I stopped right away.

I had to use a Mr. Gasket 160 "Hi Performance" t-stat because the OEM version at 160 doesn't fit the neck Ihave to use coming out of the engine. I don't think I put the damn thing in backwards, the hose was good and hot, so it much be flowing hot water. :huh:

It looked pretty much like this. I put the cone side facing the hose and the "hand side" towards the motor.

I need someone with an ODBII capable scanner that will read Coolant Temp so I can know for sure what it is.

Anyone?

Sometimes it can be a PITA to bleed out the air . Try taking off the upper hose and filling the block , by putting the coolant in the upper neck.

Vettezuki 03-11-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdracer73 (Post 70024)
Sometimes it can be a PITA to bleed out the air . Try taking off the upper hose and filling the block , by putting the coolant in the upper neck.

Roger. I never knew that. But I guess that makes sense. If some air is in the system, that'll heat up mighty fine and not carry much heat away. Doh!