Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   B.S. Lounge (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Crossroads Gun Show - Ontario Sunday, August 01 (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19079)

Chuck 07-30-2010 06:29 PM

Crossroads Gun Show - Ontario Sunday, August 01

With our new found group of gun enthusiasts. I was thinking about going to the gun show on Sunday. I wanted to see if anyone wanted to meet up and cruse out to Ontario? To check out some guns and gear up on Ammo.
:kali: :gatlin: :huh:

Chuck 07-30-2010 06:35 PM

Oh here is a Link. There is also a dollar off Coupon. "Dollar saved is a dollar earned." or something like that.

Vettezuki 07-30-2010 06:39 PM

Looks cool, but I'll be helping my brother with his truck this Sunday. Maybe next time.

Shaolin Crane 07-30-2010 07:17 PM

I'm tapped out, had to get a new insurance policy, and pay other bills, but i do need some 9mm and .45 :(

Chuck 07-30-2010 07:23 PM

I think I am going to get some .45 reloads just to shoot at the range. To save some Chedda!!!

Chuck 07-30-2010 07:28 PM

You just took that guy for 390 you have to have some cash left. :rolling:

Shaolin Crane 07-30-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 56538)
I think I am going to get some .45 reloads just to shoot at the range. To save some Chedda!!!

If i had cash i would definitely get about 1k rounds of .45 but just not in the cards

Shaolin Crane 07-30-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 56539)
You just took that guy for 390 you have to have some cash left. :rolling:

yeah i "took" him :rolleyes2:, that was used to repair the broken tie rod and associated in my truck

blackax 07-30-2010 09:03 PM

It sounds like a lot of fun. Hit me up if you still want to go (to bad I only live 15 mins away from Ontario)

Shaolin Crane 07-30-2010 09:24 PM

Oh i want to, great chance to save some cash on ammo. But i need so much for my car as well to be able to take it to meets, rims, tires, and paint work

Chuck 07-30-2010 09:34 PM

Another option is we go on the 28th to Costa Mesa at 9:00 and show up to Lytle Creek at 11:00 ish?

Chuck 07-30-2010 09:40 PM

Make it a Kinda cruse from Costa Mesa to Lytle. Just a Gun Lovers Day???

Shaolin Crane 07-30-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 56550)
Make it a Kinda cruse from Costa Mesa to Lytle. Just a Gun Lovers Day???

i'll be spending enough money with the lady shooting, and shooting, then BJ's so probably not

Chuck 07-30-2010 10:06 PM

You need rounds or do you reload yourself?

Shaolin Crane 07-31-2010 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 56552)
You need rounds or do you reload yourself?

I need rounds, im too lazy to reload anymore

Vettezuki 07-31-2010 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 56560)
I need rounds, im too lazy to reload anymore

This is a question I've asked BRUTAL64 on FB today. (He's set up for reloading.) How much can you save by reloading. Forgetting the cost of equipment and maintainence, if a given round is X, how much less would a reloaded round be?

Shaolin Crane 07-31-2010 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 56561)
This is a question I've asked BRUTAL64 on FB today. (He's set up for reloading.) How much can you save by reloading. Forgetting the cost of equipment and maintainence, if a given round is X, how much less would a reloaded round be?

Figure 1000 primers is 30 bucks
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...323&t=11082005
1lb of gunpowder is 23 buck, should be good for 1k rounds
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=132834
Just using .45 cause thats what i shoot the most. but 2k rounds of .45 for $230
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=421458
So figure you'll need 2k primers, 2lbs of powder, 2k bullets you are around $350 for 2000 rounds, typical 1000 round bulk pack of reloads costs you $400-$500
Thats a pretty healthy savings, especially when you start to sell your extra ammo.

Vettezuki 07-31-2010 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 56564)
Figure 1000 primers is 30 bucks
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...323&t=11082005
1lb of gunpowder is 23 buck, should be good for 1k rounds
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=132834
Just using .45 cause thats what i shoot the most. but 2k rounds of .45 for $230
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=421458
So figure you'll need 2k primers, 2lbs of powder, 2k bullets you are around $350 for 2000 rounds, typical 1000 round bulk pack of reloads costs you $400-$500
Thats a pretty healthy savings, especially when you start to sell your extra ammo.

Mmmm. My brother and I are looking (obviously). This puts the .45 back in contention. The standard $0.40~/rnd round is too much.

Maybe we'll become armorers and sell to the MG peeps for a small markup. :)

Chuck 07-31-2010 05:36 PM

I would buy from you Ben. I want to reload but it is expensive to get started. Hurry before the 28th I need rounds.

Vettezuki 07-31-2010 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 56592)
I would buy from you Ben. I want to reload but it is expensive to get started. Hurry before the 28th I need rounds.

What calibers are looking for? Obviously the Motorgen Armory price would be between materials cost and market for rounds.

Of course I say this having no idea how much a reloading setup costs. . .

Shaolin Crane 07-31-2010 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 56593)
What calibers are looking for? Obviously the Motorgen Armory price would be between materials cost and market for rounds.

Of course I say this having no idea how much a reloading setup costs. . .

im sure you can buy used for as little as 200 bucks, or spend all the way up to 2000 for a completely automatic setup

Vettezuki 08-01-2010 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 56598)
im sure you can buy used for as little as 200 bucks, or spend all the way up to 2000 for a completely automatic setup

Research and econometric calculation underway.

Chuck 08-01-2010 07:49 AM

Right now I only have a .45 acp and a S&W 500. But hope to be adding to my collection in the near future. I don't know if its worth the trip to the Gun Show with admission cost just to buy ammo. I don't know that the savings is that great. So unless we can get a few people to go I may not go.

Vettezuki 08-01-2010 09:25 PM

Any of you guys go? My brother and I worked on his truck and other stuff today.

He's narrowing in on a choice of 9mm:
SA Xd 9mm 5"
Beretta 92FS
Beretta PX4 Storm

I've basically decided on a Dillon RL550B progressive reloader if I go that route.

For my reference, what do guys pay for .45ACP at the shows?

Shaolin Crane 08-01-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 56621)
Any of you guys go? My brother and I worked on his truck and other stuff today.

He's narrowing in on a choice of 9mm:
SA Xd 9mm 5"
Beretta 92FS
Beretta PX4 Storm

I've basically decided on a Dillon RL550B progressive reloader if I go that route.

For my reference, what do guys pay for .45ACP at the shows?

Cant go wrong with any of them, go for lowest price.
Dont forget the P6. Vanessa's gun, can be had for 400 or less, i got mine for 380, but they commonly go for 320-350

Vettezuki 08-02-2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 56592)

Were you serious or just being nice? Obviously other people buying ammo from us for small markups changes what we can do a lot. It can be a win win yo.

Chuck 08-02-2010 05:11 AM

You can get 500 rounds online from 180 to 210 if you look around. Granted these are definitely not top quality home defense rounds. But I would guess reloads to be in the ballpark.

Vettezuki 08-02-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 56633)
You can get 500 rounds online from 180 to 210 if you look around. Granted these are definitely not top quality home defense rounds. But I would guess reloads to be in the ballpark.

The Motorgen Armorery will not produce redneck reloads, but a quality hand loaded product. ;)

But $200~ for 500 rounds .45 ACP is a price point that could be worth my time and effort to get set up. .

Shaolin Crane 08-02-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 56664)
The Motorgen Armorery will not produce redneck reloads, but a quality hand loaded product. ;)

But $200~ for 500 rounds .45 ACP is a price point that could be worth my time and effort to get set up. .

Reloads typically go for that

Chuck 08-02-2010 01:51 PM

Who will be quality checking said reloads?

Vettezuki 08-02-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 56672)
Who will be quality checking said reloads?

I've been watching videos and reading quite a bit, the process doesn't look terribly complicated, just detail oriented, and there are many available tools for verifying correct case length, etc. My tendency is to overdue things if anything, so I won't cheap out on raw materials, tools, methods or procedures. Additionally, I'd be happy to provide a clip or two free for verifying to any potential buyer.

If you want to volunteer yourself to test some rounds once I'm confident I'm following the process correctly, that'd be delightful. :)

Shaolin Crane 08-02-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 56675)
I've been watching videos and reading quite a bit, the process doesn't look terribly complicated, just detail oriented, and there are many available tools for verifying correct case length, etc. My tendency is to overdue things if anything, so I won't cheap out on raw materials, tools, methods or procedures. Additionally, I'd be happy to provide a clip or two free for verifying to any potential buyer.

If you want to volunteer yourself to test some rounds once I'm confident I'm following the process correctly, that'd be delightful. :)

I'll test anything you throw my way

Chuck 08-02-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 56675)

Funny you knew exactly what I was getting at.:bigthumbsup:

SeanPlunk 08-09-2010 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QWIKLS1 (Post 12939299)
:spam:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/...roductId/22371

$399 for a Hornady Lock N Load 5 station progressive press. Included with the deal is 500 bullets of various calibers (your choice from the company's list).

Basically the free bullets are worth around $100, so you pretty much get a high-end progressive press for around $300. All you'd need to add to this kit would be a lube kit, some calipers, dies and shellplates of your caliber(s), and a scale.

I've always sworn I didn't need a progressive press, but this is a tempting deal from a top notch company. :buffer:

From another board for you Ben.

Vettezuki 08-09-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 57077)
From another board for you Ben.

Thanks for the link.

Gary Wells 08-09-2010 01:25 PM

I wish that I had known about this thread before the gun show, but something turboBuick related came up and I could not go anyway.
I have reloaded on and off most of my lifetime from everything to a RCBS Rockchucker to my present Dillon 550B, and it is hard to go wrong on handloading. You gain more than just a savings of money, Some people, such as myself actually find it somewhat stress-relieving. Also , the confidence that you loaded it yourself, and that it was reloaded with quality in mind. You learn a better understanding of what one tenth of a grain of what powder will do what in what case and with what bullet weight.
May I offer up some suggestions about Crossroads of the West Gun Shows, especially what's happening currently, which may not change for a while.
Saturday, just as in car shows, is almost always the best day, and the earlier that you get there, the better.
Buying your ticket on-line, which I always hate to do, is the only way to go, as they will let in the people that bought tickets on line in first as compared to buying them there the day of the show.
Buy your ammo, primers, & powder first in their order of importance, then look around. Some ammo & some primers are getting virtually impossible to get. HTH
Also, the Costa Mesa show is always the best show to go to compared to any of the other locations.
The bigger & better the show, the more vendors that will be there and the better chance of finding & getting what you are looking for.

Vettezuki 08-09-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Wells (Post 57108)
I wish that I had known about this thread before the gun show, but something turboBuick related came up and I could not go anyway.
I have reloaded on and off most of my lifetime from everything to a RCBS Rockchucker to my present Dillon 550B, and it is hard to go wrong on handloading. You gain more than just a savings of money, Some people, such as myself actually find it somewhat stress-relieving. Also , the confidence that you loaded it yourself, and that it was reloaded with quality in mind. You learn a better understanding of what one tenth of a grain of what powder will do what in what case and with what bullet weight.
May I offer up some suggestions about Crossroads of the West Gun Shows, especially what's happening currently, which may not change for a while.
Saturday, just as in car shows, is almost always the best day, and the earlier that you get there, the better.
Buying your ticket on-line, which I always hate to do, is the only way to go, as they will let in the people that bought tickets on line in first as compared to buying them there the day of the show.
Buy your ammo, primers, & powder first in their order of importance, then look around. Some ammo & some primers are getting virtually impossible to get. HTH
Also, the Costa Mesa show is always the best show to go to compared to any of the other locations.
The bigger & better the show, the more vendors that will be there and the better chance of finding & getting what you are looking for.

I'd like to pick your brain more as the time comes. It's my intention, along with Chuck and my brother to go into small scale ammo manufacturing and sales. My initial research indicates margins are pretty good.

Shaolin Crane 08-09-2010 01:59 PM

Dillon is the way to go

Vettezuki 08-09-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 57115)
Dillon is the way to go

That's what I keep hearing. Though it seems the RCBS dies are of equal quality and lower cost.

Gary Wells 08-09-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 57110)
I'd like to pick your brain more as the time comes. It's my intention, along with Chuck and my brother to go into small scale ammo manufacturing and sales. My initial research indicates margins are pretty good.

Whatever I can do to help and / or advise, I will. However I am what's called a dedicated .45 auto shooter & loader. I load & shoot only .45 auto. My personal opinion on "going into small scale ammo manufacturing and sales" is probably a pretty bleak one. I would believe that competition is pretty fierce, however, I just started loading, shooting, and doing the gun shows again after about a 10 year vacation. I think that you will get a pretty good indication when you guys start loading for your friends and the forum members. Actually, that might really give you guys some ideas & some pit falls to avoid.
Liability comes to mind.