Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Domestic (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   My Mom wants her SRT4 to go faster for Christmas. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10753)

enkeivette 12-02-2009 04:18 PM

My Mom wants her SRT4 to go faster for Christmas.

Is there anything I can do sub $100 to make it somewhat faster? The turbo isn't externally regulated is it? (Meaning, can I wrench on it and jack up the boost a couple lbs?)

Replace the resonators with pipe maybe? Cheap cold air intake?

trymev8 12-02-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 39239)
Is there anything I can do sub $100 to make it somewhat faster? The turbo isn't externally regulated is it? (Meaning, can I wrench on it and jack up the boost a couple lbs?)

Replace the resonators with pipe maybe? Cheap cold air intake?

To make it seem faster do an intake. She will hear the turbo more and it will sound quicker. The turbo is internally regulated so that is a no go. You can do a down pipe, but you might get her in trouble. I would say an intake is your best bet at that price:thumbs_up:

axotlprogeny 12-02-2009 10:39 PM

Your Mom drives a SRT-4? That's pretty badass.

From what I know from helping a buddy with his SRT-4, a wastegate actuator is a good, cheap upgrade. Those go for around $160. Holds stock boost without tapering down like the stock one does. That with a manual boost controller, you can turn the boost up. I think the max on the stock fuel system is around 17psi.

I don't own one, so I might be completely wrong, but that was what I remember from helping him.

Another thing that really helped was motor mounts.

Leedom 12-02-2009 10:55 PM

You should be able to go to PepBoyz and get some stickers. They are good for about 5hp and 5TQ each I think. At least that is what some dude told me after he watched Fast and Furious and that movie is like a documentary or something! :jester:

axotlprogeny 12-02-2009 10:59 PM

Yes, and portholes. LOL

BRUTAL64 12-02-2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 39305)
You should be able to go to PepBoyz and get some stickers. They are good for about 5hp and 5TQ each I think. At least that is what some dude told me after he watched Fast and Furious and that movie is like a documentary or something! :jester:

:boggled::boggled::boggled::boggled::boggled: :boggled:

enkeivette 12-02-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axotlprogeny (Post 39303)
Your Mom drives a SRT-4? That's pretty badass.

From what I know from helping a buddy with his SRT-4, a wastegate actuator is a good, cheap upgrade. Those go for around $160. Holds stock boost without tapering down like the stock one does. That with a manual boost controller, you can turn the boost up. I think the max on the stock fuel system is around 17psi.

I don't own one, so I might be completely wrong, but that was what I remember from helping him.

Another thing that really helped was motor mounts.

I've been looking at those manual boost controllers. Looks like you can plug off the ecm controlled solenoid vacuum ports and hook the... wastegate? up to the boost controller, which basically regulates manifold vacuum.

I'd want to get confirmation that this can actually be done though, hopefully blacknboostn will chime in. I know you can do it electronically too but that's out of the price range.

Otherwise, intake it is. I've also been thinking about replacing the resonators with straight pipe. Not sure if it would smog though. kdracer73?

axotlprogeny 12-02-2009 11:08 PM

Manual boost controllers are pretty popular on SRT-4s. I don't really know how safe they are, considering the whole part throttle, full boost issue.

trymev8 12-02-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axotlprogeny (Post 39313)
Manual boost controllers are pretty popular on SRT-4s. I don't really know how safe they are, considering the whole part throttle, full boost issue.

i dont recomend a manual boost controller. Issues can arise and no i am pretty sure you wont pass smog straight piped. At the price you are looking the only thing really is intake, unless a corner is cut and you risk possible problems with cheap upgrades like manual boost controllers.

axotlprogeny 12-02-2009 11:12 PM

Wastegate Actuator $100