Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Auto (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Source for engine building tool sets (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60995)

Vettezuki 08-10-2014 05:07 PM

Source for engine building tool sets

I've transferred my MX-5 to LS1Z28 who does a lot of work for me. He has everything apart and discovered the crank bearing on no. 1 disintegrated, like completely and it mangled the crank. So we're going to need at least a new crank, bearings, rod and head rework.

Unfortunately, he's having a hard time locating the engine building tool kit for the engine in 2006 MX-5. Apparently it's necessarry for aligning the crank with the cams or something like that.

Any good sources?

Shaolin Crane 08-10-2014 11:19 PM

Are you sure that the crank is trashed and doesn't need to be cut?

Vettezuki 08-11-2014 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 132426)
Are you sure that the crank is trashed and doesn't need to be cut?

That's what he said and I trust his judgement. The bearing was 100% gone and apparently wore down the journal. He gave me measurements I don't recall, but said it was beyond machining.

Shaolin Crane 08-11-2014 01:17 AM

Cranks are welded and cut all the time and the cost is very minimal. Usually around $100

Vettezuki 08-11-2014 10:13 AM

Shop recommendation?

Shaolin Crane 08-12-2014 12:28 AM

Any auto balancer can likely do it. I use Rod Philips in Baldwin Park. He cut the crank in the last 3 of my engines and in Rons exploder.

Vettezuki 08-12-2014 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 132469)
Any auto balancer can likely do it. I use Rod Philips in Baldwin Park. He cut the crank in the last 3 of my engines and in Rons exploder.

Roger. LS1Z28 says he doesn't like to do it because of a bad experience (crank broke after a couple thousand miles) but it's a good reference.

Vettezuki 08-12-2014 11:59 AM

PS the tools he needs are cam and crank lock down tools.

Vettezuki 08-12-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 132481)
PS the tools he needs are cam and crank lock down tools.

Found it.

Amazon.com: Massive Absolute Precision Cam Timing...Amazon.com: Massive Absolute Precision Cam Timing...
Also, apparently the lower end of the engine is somewhere between nearly the same and aboslutely the same as Focus of the same generation, which if true, means a 2.0 Focus short block can cover all my bottom end issues.

Best place to look for said short blocks?

Shaolin Crane 08-12-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 132476)
Roger. LS1Z28 says he doesn't like to do it because of a bad experience (crank broke after a couple thousand miles) but it's a good reference.

Cranks in heavy machinery are always welded before they are replaced, few hundred for labor instead of a few thousand for replacement. EVERY crank that is balanced is welded, when done properly, it is not a problem.

As far as the shortblocks, well, that 2.0 focus engine is a complete piece of shit and many engine shops have them ready to go because of the high turn around. Ebay is your cheapest bet for that, make sure you have a core, they are light enough they can be shipped without freight.