Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engines, Transimissions, Suspension, etc. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Verdict is in, I should be in 700hp territory. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8606)

enkeivette 10-02-2009 09:52 AM

Verdict is in, I should be in 700hp territory.

With the stock diff!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf_mark (Post 54407)
Fact: for every 14.7 lbs of boost an engine will double it's naturally aspirated output. A 300 HP engine natrually aspirated will make 600 HP with 14.7 lbs of boost. Of course there are increased pumping loses etc but you get the point.

In your example the engine made 432 Hp with 5 lbs of boost or 1.33 it's naturally aspirated value. This is 432/1.33 or 324 naturally aspirated.

With 13 lbs of boost you are 13/14.7 or 1.87 the naturally aspirated value. This puts you at 324*1.87 = 608 HP at rear wheels or 711 HP at the crank (using 17% loss)

Plus any gains you made from tuning or tweaking but boost makes up for many ills. AFR of 15:1 you are lucky your rings and pistons are still alive! Blowers like to run rich so it is posible you pciked up 30 - 50 HP going to 12:1 alone.

Which is interesting because the motor made 315 at the wheels NA with the similar crappy AFR when I made 432.

joedls 10-02-2009 10:08 AM

It's not that simple. Power increases due to boost are not linear. There are many other factors in play.

Vettezuki 10-02-2009 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 33830)
It's not that simple. Power increases due to boost are not linear. There are many other factors in play.

The doubling per one bar of pressure is a rough, but fair rule of thumb. Obviously things like intercooling make quite a difference, but it gets you in the ball park.

joedls 10-02-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 33835)
The doubling per one bar of pressure is a rough, but fair rule of thumb. Obviously things like intercooling make quite a difference, but it gets you in the ball park.

All things being equal, that may be true, but common sense says all things can't be equal. You are increasing air charge temps, which you have to compensate for by pulling timing, adding fuel, etc... You can run much more timing on 5 lbs of boost than you can on 12. You can also run leaner at 5 PSI than you can at 12. You also have to take into consideration the blower. How much parasitic loss are you going to experience from having to turn that blower? That will vary with the blower, but every blower will have some parasitic loss. If you add an intercooler, then some of these factors don't have as much of an effect. But we were talking abot enkeivette's car, which I believe doesn't have one.

BADDASSC6 10-02-2009 02:25 PM

That is a rough rule of thumb that losses it's accuracy as you increase boost. The fact is due to heat of compression, the higher the boost the more heat is generated and the increase in the mass flowrate of the air gets smaller. Just because the pressure gage reads 1 bar doesn't mean that you are getting double the mass flow rate.

BADDASSC6 10-02-2009 02:27 PM

I put my money at 550whp!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vettezuki 10-02-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 33853)

Having ridden in the car and making a wild seat of the pants judgement, that's what I'd guess too: 550-600. Still the fastest accelerating car I've been in. :thumbs_up:

94cobra69ss396 10-02-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 33853)

I second that.

Ben, you need to go for a ride in the Chevelle on the bottle with the slicks on.

joedls 10-02-2009 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 33854)
Still the fastest accelerating car I've been in. :thumbs_up:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 33863)
Ben, you need to go for a ride in the Chevelle on the bottle with the slicks on.

I'd put my money on the Chevelle.

Vettezuki 10-02-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 33863)
. . . Ben, you need to take the Chevelle for a ride on the bottle with the slicks on.

Absolutely. :nuts:

Vettezuki 10-02-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 33867)

I would too. Not because of potential, but the Vette is manual and his trans/clutch is in a non-ideal condition. Shifts take for-ev-er. Also his suspension is setup for handling (i.e., minimal weight transfer). I'm not setup as hard and I don't hook worth a crap on a mere 390WHP. My 60' are routinely 2.0x" on MT ET Streets.

94cobra69ss396 10-02-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 33870)
I would too. Not because of potential, but the Vette is manual and his trans/clutch is in a non-ideal condition. Shifts take for-ev-er. Also his suspension is setup for handling (i.e., minimal weight transfer). I'm not setup as hard and I don't hook worth a crap on a mere 390WHP. My 60' are routinely 2.0x" on MT ET Streets.

My best is a 1.46. Maybe after we tune the cars you can cruise by my house and I'll through the slicks on and give you a quick ride.

94cobra69ss396 10-02-2009 04:09 PM

Adam, you need to come out with us so we can see what your car will put down.

Vettezuki 10-02-2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 33877)
My best is a 1.46. Maybe after we tune the cars you can cruise by my house and I'll through the slicks on and give you a quick ride.

Sounds good. I wonder if I should come out on another day to check back pressure or if it's easy enough to do at GTR on the day. Theoretically it should only take a couple minutes to pop one of the front O2s, which are easily accessible, but you just never know until you've done it.

enkeivette 10-03-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 33867)

With slicks on his and not on mine, me too. But how fair is that to Cambria?

Btw, don't forget guys that I am being conservative here. I'm NOT adding any hp to that estimate from the bigger lift, more duration, port matched intake, a 12:1 AFR over the old 15:1 AFR, or the fact that this time I have sealed head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets!

Thanks for the compliment Ben. :beer: Yours is the fastest cleanest C3 I've ever been in. And it has flippin AC!!!

enkeivette 10-03-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 33878)
Adam, you need to come out with us so we can see what your car will put down.

Agreed. But not for $60. I'd rather spend $130 on an intercooler and start that project than waste $60 to get a penis measurement, err, I mean a hp rating.

It's not like I'm going to allow some shop to attempt to tune my car. It's mine! Stay away. So hp wise, a dyno run is worth nothing to me.

enkeivette 10-03-2009 04:02 PM

Btw, SSCobra, your experience alone would yield a better ET. I'm not trying to mess with your turf here, because when it comes to drag experience, I have none.

Further, the Chevelle is a purpose drag car isn't it? I think the Cobra would be a better comparison to Cambria. I've never put anything higher than 91 in Cambria, and I never will. Not my intent with the car. Her job is to be able to punish a C6 on the freeway from a roll and look good as I drive the gf around on the weekends.

Vettezuki 10-03-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 33912)
. . . So hp wise, a dyno run is worth nothing to me.

We're calling you out. You ain't making that much power, and until you get your unit measured, it's just a bunch of compressed hot air. :pot_stir:

:lmfao:

Leedom 10-03-2009 06:02 PM

:gatlin:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 33916)
We're calling you out. You ain't making that much power, and until you get your unit measured, it's just a bunch of compressed hot air. :pot_stir:

:lmfao:

Them there's fightin' words!!

joedls 10-03-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 33911)
With slicks on his and not on mine, me too. But how fair is that to Cambria?

Put slicks on it. I'd still bet on Ron's Chevelle.

Vettezuki 10-03-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 33920)
Put slicks on it. I'd still bet on Ron's Chevelle.

I would too. Because he'd go about 5' before his rear end would be in a couple hundred pieces.

joedls 10-03-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 33921)
I would too. Because he'd go about 5' before his rear end would be in a couple hundred pieces.

Exactly what I was thinking.

94cobra69ss396 10-03-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 33913)
Further, the Chevelle is a purpose drag car isn't it? I think the Cobra would be a better comparison to Cambria. I've never put anything higher than 91 in Cambria, and I never will. Not my intent with the car. Her job is to be able to punish a C6 on the freeway from a roll and look good as I drive the gf around on the weekends.

The Chevelle wasn't built specifically for drag racing. It has stock big block springs in the front with a coil and half cut off, stock rear spring, stock 12 bolt with stock axles and a stock posi with 3.73 gear. The only thing specific as far as the suspension is concerned is a set of 90/10 shocks in the front that are about 17 years old. Sure, it's gutted but that wasn't for drag racing, that's because I was in the process of restoring it and ran out of funds. I have all the interior for it in my shed. I did install some safety things such as the aluminum rear package tray and the roll cage.

Also, the Chevelle only put down 530rwhp on a 150 shot so if your at where you think you are you should be 100rwhp more than me and you have a lighter car. As for the dyno test, I don't have AFR gauge so I wanted to run it on the dyno to see where it's at and also to get the timing dialed in. I spent about 2 hours tuning it on Friday and it's running really good so I probably will not run it on the dyno and just see what it does at the track.

I think you need to take Ben up on the offer to barrow his ET Streets because I think you and I need to run on the 31st. I'll even run you on just motor for the first run.

SeanPlunk 10-03-2009 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 33929)
The Chevelle wasn't built specifically for drag racing. It has stock big block springs in the front with a coil and half cut off, stock rear spring, stock 12 bolt with stock axles and a stock posi with 3.73 gear. The only thing specific as far as the suspension is concerned is a set of 90/10 shocks in the front that are about 17 years old. Sure, it's gutted but that wasn't for drag racing, that's because I was in the process of restoring it and ran out of funds. I have all the interior for it in my shed. I did install some safety things such as the aluminum rear package tray and the roll cage.

Also, the Chevelle only put down 530rwhp on a 150 shot so if your at where you think you are you should be 100rwhp more than me and you have a lighter car. As for the dyno test, I don't have AFR gauge so I wanted to run it on the dyno to see where it's at and also to get the timing dialed in. I spent about 2 hours tuning it on Friday and it's running really good so I probably will not run it on the dyno and just see what it does at the track.

I think you need to take Ben up on the offer to barrow his ET Streets because I think you and I need to run on the 31st. I'll even run you on just motor for the first run.

On ET Streets I think Enkei's rearend would last less than 60ft ;)

joedls 10-03-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Adam, you don't have a hair on your ass if you don't take him up on his challenge.

:pot_stir:

Vettezuki 10-03-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 33930)
On ET Streets I think Enkei's rearend would last less than 60ft ;)

Given the nature of wheel hop on old Vettes, low pressure ET streets might actually be safer than hard street tires. I can spin them with a lot less power (especially at Fontana), but they've never hopped. Street tires just bounce. If he feathers out on the streets his rear end will be ok. He'll get killed in the 60' by Ron for sure. I doubt Adam's Vette could break 2.2 60' on the Streets, Ron is down to 1.5"s :hail: Forget it. MPH vs. MPH will be the only comparison. . . that's if Adam can get off clean fast shifts.

Adam I hope you come out to the drags just for shits and giggles, but at this time it's not a serious objective comparison of anything.

BADDASSC6 10-03-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Ok you wrote a lot, but didn't say much. Here is the condensed version:

You have a gutted, caged, big block chevelle on nitrous and slicks that's not "really built" for drag racing??????

I understand what you are saying about the axles and rear end, but you don't need the super strong billet stuff when you take ALL the weight out of the car. How long have you been racing this car? Any form of racing other than drag racing? Oh wait the 3.73s for for better gas mileage and the removed hood was for better cooling in that LA stop and go traffic.

You will crush Adam and anyone else on motorgen. Want to be fair race him in the Mustang like you did me.

Leedom 10-03-2009 11:41 PM

You guys smell that? That is the smell of testosterone and octane!!

94cobra69ss396 10-04-2009 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 33934)

You have a gutted, caged, big block chevelle on nitrous and slicks that's not "really built" for drag racing??????

I understand what you are saying about the axles and rear end, but you don't need the super strong billet stuff when you take ALL the weight out of the car. How long have you been racing this car? Any form of racing other than drag racing? Oh wait the 3.73s for for better gas mileage and the removed hood was for better cooling in that LA stop and go traffic.

You will crush Adam and anyone else on motorgen. Want to be fair race him in the Mustang like you did me.

So if you add slicks to your Vette it's now built for drag racing? I have a stock suspension Chevelle, how is that built for drag racing? The roll bar was installed because I had to. The car was too fast and I got kicked off the track. If you ran under an 11.50 you would have to install one too. Would that make your Vette a car built for drag racing? I don't think so.

Also, the Chevelle is a stock big block car. It's not like I added a big block to a small block car so I could go drag race it. You also mention not having a hood. The reason it doesn't have a hood is because I had a fiberglass one and it was cracked. When I started to restore the car I trashed the damaged hood because I was going to buy a new one. I haven't had the money to buy a new one so I drive it without one. And since you mentioned it, as a matter of fact it did run cooler without the hood on in traffic. However, it was quicker in the quarter with it on.

My point was that the suspension is not built for drag racing. It's just stock. I installed the 3.73's back around 1995 when the car was my daily driver. If I was going to build it strictly for drag racing the car would be a lot faster. I would install a 4.56 gear with a spool, a 4500 stall, Moroso drag spring front and rear, remove the power steering, install lexan windows and so on. Not to mention that I wouldn't have the little tiny cam I have now.

You also brought up the Cobra which is also not built for drag racing but it's gone 11.69 at 119.

Vettezuki 10-04-2009 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 33937)
You guys smell that? That is the smell of testosterone and octane!!

No. That is the smell of Carlos. Wait, there the same thing. :smack:

Vettezuki 10-04-2009 12:28 AM

Quote:

Would you say that your Vette is "really" built for road racing? We may be talking about similar high levels, but not all out, no holds barred purpose built. These are both cars that can legally be (well, sorta) driven on the street.

And the fastest car on Motorgen, though not by a regular user, is Paul Ho's Turbo Civic that runs 9s at over 150. That's a purpose built car.

94cobra69ss396 10-04-2009 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 33943)
Would you say that your Vette is "really" built for road racing? We may be talking about similar high levels, but not all out, no holds barred purpose built. These are both cars that can legally be (well, sorta) driven on the street.

And the fastest car on Motorgen, though not by a regular user, is Paul Ho's Turbo Civic that runs 9s at over 150. That's a purpose built car.

Carlos' Vette has way more suspension work done to it than the Chevelle does.

enkeivette 10-04-2009 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 33921)

:thumbs_up:

Quote:

:smack:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 33933)
MPH vs. MPH will be the only comparison. . . that's if Adam can get off clean fast shifts.

That's just what I was thinking before I read it.

First of all, calm down guys. I was excited that guys on speedtalk and Vettemod told me that I should be in 700hp territory. That's all.

Second of all, I said several times that I think I would lose to CobraSS for several reasons, but what do I care? I'll race him. What am I going to cry if I run a 12 sec 1/4 mile for the first time in my life with a motor that I built that runs on 91 octane and I lose to a guy with experience who runs 10s on nitrous? Prooob not.

Sure I'll race him. But only if we both fill up with 91 at the same gas station before we head into the strip and only if we both run street tires. But please do use your nitrous, if it was built for nitrous, use the nitrous. In fact you should use it in 1st gear so you understand my traction pain.

That's cute that someone can run 9 seconds in a Civic, but unless it's on 91 octane with street tires I really don't care. Not a fair comparison.

If you guys think I'm closer to 550whp... ok... cool! Should I cry about that? I get a 550whp conservative estimate? That's still over 650hp. Oh please, someone hand me a tissue box.

Finally, Ben, suck my balls. I prob have a shorter shift throw than anyone on this forum. I have a pro 5.0 with a custom 2" stick. I was shifting slow so I didn't lose traction and slide us into a wall. Like I told you, even 2nd to 3rd will break it loose.

enkeivette 10-04-2009 02:46 AM

Let me set out my calendar right now so no one calls me a coward if I can't show.

I have midterms and won't be back in oc till after the 18th. Then I'll be in SD Halloween weekend for a party.

After that I should be free for a while till finals.

Also, must go during the day. Well established that I am poor. Must be sub $40. No $100 private track nights. On that note, I think the most logical thing to do would be to just put Cambria on the dyno during Sean's scheduled cheap dyno day. Takes my shitty tires/ driving out of the equation.

enkeivette 10-04-2009 02:49 AM

I think it's really funny that Sean was teasing me just a few years ago about having only 185hp. And that we all thought his 315hp Camaro was a rocket.

Vettezuki 10-04-2009 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 33946)
Finally, Ben, suck my balls. I prob have a shorter shift throw than anyone on this forum. I have a pro 5.0 with a custom 2" stick. I was shifting slow so I didn't lose traction and slide us into a wall. Like I told you, even 2nd to 3rd will break it loose.

Then it ain't much use is it. :smack: BTW, I have a Lou's short stick on a McLeod Silk Stix so, what-evvaah.

Vettezuki 10-04-2009 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 33948)
Let me set out my calendar right now so no one calls me a coward if I can't show.

I have midterms and won't be back in oc till after the 18th. Then I'll be in SD Halloween weekend for a party.

After that I should be free for a while till finals.

Also, must go during the day. Well established that I am poor. Must be sub $40. No $100 private track nights. On that note, I think the most logical thing to do would be to just put Cambria on the dyno during Sean's scheduled cheap dyno day. Takes my shitty tires/ driving out of the equation.

October 31 (Halloween), daytime, $20.

BADDASSC6 10-04-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 33945)
Carlos' Vette has way more suspension work done to it than the Chevelle does.

Ron, I love your cars and I respect what you do with them especially on the budget you allow yourself. But you stripped down your Chevelle and caged it. I have the full interior, A/C, radio, sound deadening, etc.... I haven't committed my car to road racing like the chevelle is committed to drag racing.

Ben, I don't agree that the vette and the Chevelle are on the same level of tune. My vette has a ton of room for improvement. Areo package, weight reduction, metal bushings, cage, big brakes, etc......

Adam, I think you would lose even if you were driving the chevelle and Ron was driving the chambrio. He treed me by .5 secs in the stang and cut and awesome 60ft (on ET streets). I wasn't able to run him down even though there I had 4 mph on him.

enkeivette 10-04-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 33958)
Adam, I think you would lose even if you were driving the chevelle and Ron was driving the chambrio. He treed me by .5 secs in the stang and cut and awesome 60ft (on ET streets). I wasn't able to run him down even though there I had 4 mph on him.

:surrender:

But you had 4mph on him? How much hp are you making?

94cobra69ss396 10-04-2009 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 33946)
Sure I'll race him. But only if we both fill up with 91 at the same gas station before we head into the strip and only if we both run street tires. But please do use your nitrous, if it was built for nitrous, use the nitrous. In fact you should use it in 1st gear so you understand my traction pain.

I have to run 100 in the Chevelle due to the 12.25:1 compression. I know what it's like to drive on street tires. I drive the Chevelle all the time on the street tires and only install the slicks when I take it to the track. On the street tires it will break the tires loose in third until you reach about 110mph. I feel your pain.