Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Body Work, Paint, Detailing & Fabrication (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Having second thoughts. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=637)

enkeivette 08-27-2008 10:21 PM

Having second thoughts.

I'm having second thoughts about the 82 front bumper, looking at pics I'm not sure if I like it all that much more. I just really hate the bumperettes on the 78 bumper that's all. And I talked with a body shop guy who discouraged me from cutting up my perfectly good fenders.

I think I'm going to exchange the 82 bumper and fenders tomorrow and have them make me a glass 74 bumper that I'll glass in seamlessly. The 74 bumper is basically the same without those ugly bumperettes, and this way I won't have to cut up my fenders.

I've already removed the hardware. Rather than modify it I think I'll leave it out. There is now a ton of room for an intercooler. And it's pretty damn heavy, think I need to cut my front springs again. I keep taking weight off and the front end keeps lifting, go figure. :)

vs.

As you can tell, I'd have to fill in the step in the body that the 74 didn't have, but this should be easy.

enkeivette 08-27-2008 10:24 PM

Don't worry though, I'm still going with pearl black. You see this is why I'd never get a tattoo.

Vettezuki 08-27-2008 10:32 PM

You have commitment issues. Just finish and drive the damn thing already. :rolling:

BRUTAL64 08-28-2008 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 5585)
You have commitment issues. Just finish and drive the damn thing already. :rolling:

He should take his time. There is no need hurry. No sir, no hurry. My C2 has been primer for __ years. There is no need to hurry. No sir. He could be just like me. :rolleyes:

Vettezuki 08-28-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 5591)
. . . He could be just like me. :rolleyes:

Exactly . . . :leaving:

enkeivette 09-01-2008 01:47 AM

enkeivette 09-02-2008 09:05 PM

Here's how I decided to mod the bumper to fill the gap.:

For those of you who have seen a 78/ 79 bumper you can appreciate how much I had to cut this bitch up. Took about 15lbs off too.

BADDASSC6 09-02-2008 10:10 PM

Well, it will be definately worth it when it's all said and done. I also don't like the bumperette. it's better to get it knocked out know than be pissed of about if forever after the car is put together and painted!

CorruptCulture 09-03-2008 10:23 AM

So is this gonna be safe when you rear-end someone?

enkeivette 09-03-2008 12:46 PM

Safer than leaving the bumper hardware completely out which was my original plan. I'd have saved 37lbs as opposed to just 15lbs. What's in there now will stop a slow speed crash from totaling my car, it's worth the weight I think. Lots of C3ers ditch the front and the rear hardware all together. I'd never touch the hardware between the gas tank and the rear bumper. :suicide:

It's basically as safe as a stock 74 vette, slightly safer because of the more rigid frame.

Vettezuki 09-03-2008 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 5823)
Safer than leaving the bumper hardware completely out which was my original plan. I'd have saved 37lbs as opposed to just 15lbs. What's in there now will stop a slow speed crash from totaling my car, it's worth the weight I think. Lots of C3ers ditch the front and the rear hardware all together. I'd never touch the hardware between the gas tank and the rear bumper. :suicide:

It's basically as safe as a stock 74 vette, slightly safer because of the more rigid frame.

Stop pretending you have anything like a street car and just get a proper fuel cell and fire Halon supression. Neither are all that expensive and will greatly add to safety, as well as the resale value of the car. You might also want to replace the nails and anything I welded.:smack: . . . :leaving:

enkeivette 09-04-2008 09:44 PM

It is a street car, I only drive it on the street, and I only fill it with 91, and I've never run slicks.

enkeivette 09-05-2008 07:14 PM

OK guys, this is a car forum, so step out of the BS lounge for a second and tell me how great I am. All that's left for the bumper is to sand off the excess adhesive filler, grind a groove in the seam, fill and sand again.

It was a pretty decent fit for a fiberglass part. The passenger side of the bumper came up short but it's nothing that some filler and a DA can't fix.

enkeivette 09-05-2008 07:15 PM

Looks so empty under there, think I need a long intercooler to fill the space.

enkeivette 09-05-2008 08:02 PM

C3 gurus will now see the rear of my car and think that it is an 80-82, then when they look at the front they will begin to wonder if it is a 73-74. And when they see the hood scoop and the gills, they'll wonder if it's a 75-79. Crazy stuff. Best parts of all the plastic bumper years, IMHO.

enkeivette 09-15-2008 12:29 AM

Grinding a groove and sanding it down.

Fibertech filler, kevlar reinforced. $60 a can!

big_G 09-15-2008 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 5926)
Looks so empty under there, think I need a long intercooler to fill the space.

Yep...that will put the fear of God in any posers looking in their rear view mirror.:thumbs_up:

enkeivette 09-15-2008 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_G (Post 6280)
Yep...that will put the fear of God in any posers looking in their rear view mirror.:thumbs_up:

:laugh::beer:

enkeivette 09-18-2008 09:30 PM

Almost done with the front.

BRUTAL64 09-19-2008 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_G (Post 6280)

There is a quote from GUMBALL RALLY--"What is behind us is not important".:rolleyes:

big_G 09-19-2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 6477)
There is a quote from GUMBALL RALLY--"What is behind us is not important".:rolleyes:

I remember that....the Italian dude rips off his rear view mirror and says "What's behind me, I don't care"....

enkeivette 09-19-2008 12:03 PM

He wouldn't need to see me, he'd hear me coming. :drive:

BRUTAL64 09-19-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_G (Post 6482)
I remember that....the Italian dude rips off his rear view mirror and says "What's behind me, I don't care"....

Ok, we to take another look at that movie and get that quote correct. This is important. :smack:

big_G 09-19-2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 6497)
Ok, we to take another look at that movie and get that quote correct. This is important. :smack:

It appears you have a few more functioning brain cells than I. I stand corrected. Got to see that movie again.

Memorable quotes for
The Gumball Rally (1976) More at IMDb Pro »

Smith: So what is this, a vintage car?
Bannon: Well Smitty, some things get meaner as they get older.
Prof. Samuel Graves - Cobra Team: [about the Gumball Rally] To you this is just a stunt! Me, I've got a shot at tenure.. all I gotta do is stay out of trouble for a couple more years and I'll be set for life. I can't risk that!
Bannon: It's not a risk...it's a challenge.
Franco: [about their Ferrari] How's the bambina?
Smith: She's a-fulla gas, she's-a wait for you!
Franco: Hey, you make a good Italian!
Bannon: Hey Franco! Your mother called, she's been looking all over for you!
Franco: Now you make jokes on my mother, huh?
Bannon: No... about your mother, not on your mother. I wouldn't get *on* your mother!
Gibson - Camaro Team: [their Camaro is running hot] Jeez, can't we turn off the heater?
Ace Preston: Either the engine gets hot, or we get hot!
Gibson - Camaro Team: Well, I'm about to have a stroke!
Ace Preston: A stroke? I should be so lucky!
Barney Donahue: Andy, I need an inspiration.
Andy McAllister - Mercedes Team: Yeah, it's that time of the morning.
Barney Donahue: Something to make the blood *hot*.
Andy McAllister - Mercedes Team: [pulls out a bottle] What would you say to a bit of Henry the Fifth?
Barney Donahue: Ah, you're a mind reader!
Franco: [shouting] Now you are marked...for life!
Jane - Porsche Team: Alright, the lights are set to 32 miles per hour, just keep going on Sepulveda!
Alice - Porsche Team: OK, hang on!
[starts to downshift and floor the throttle]
Alice - Porsche Team: [Two motorcycle cops pull up on either side to check out the girls, and Alice holds up] Smile!
Jane - Porsche Team: How fast are we going now?
Alice - Porsche Team: [with a large fake smile on her face] 32 miles an hour.
Roscoe: This is Roscoe's Last Stand!
Roscoe: One day, Bannon... you *and* Smith!
Bannon: The age of the motor car is over.
Franco: And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving.
[Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car]
Franco: What's-a behind me is not important.

Chopper Pilot: Sir? We can't catch 'em.
Roscoe: Whaddaya mean?
Chopper Pilot: They must be doing 180. We don't even have a fixed-wing that'll go that fast!
Bannon: Fifty-five is fast enough to kill you, but slow enough to make you think you're safe.
Barney Donahue: You know how often my wife tried to get me to get rid of this car? Well that's German machinery for you. The car outlasted her.

enkeivette 09-19-2008 08:50 PM

Ces't fini! Just need to go over it with glazing putty to fill the pot holes and then you know... paint it.

Vettezuki 09-19-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 6513)
Ces't fini! Just need to go over it with glazing putty to fill the pot holes and then you know... paint it.

Are you painting it?

enkeivette 09-19-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 6519)
Are you painting it?

Weren't you the one who acknowledged that good prep work can take hundreds of hours? I've worked on the car every day this week. I worked today all day till it got dark. If you want to help speed up the process and feel like being itchy for two days, cruise on over and I'll hand you some sandpaper. :D

Vettezuki 09-19-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 6521)
Weren't you the one who acknowledged that good prep work can take hundreds of hours? I've worked on the car every day this week. I worked today all day till it got dark. If you want to help speed up the process and feel like being itchy for two days, cruise on over and I'll hand you some sandpaper. :D

Yes I did say that. I did offer to help you early on (when I recommended using a air powered random orbital). And what I meant was: "Are YOU painting it?" Not "Are you painting it (now)?"

Reason:
I expect you're doing a very good job. If you can do it all yourself and if you're interested, I may be interested in hiring you to do mine or help me do mine as you will have great experience.

Jeesh you're sensitive.:nutkick:

enkeivette 09-19-2008 11:22 PM

Sorry. I really want to go on the moonlight run, and I still have a lot of work left to do. I'm touchy. I suppose I could go before the paint, but it would suck to be on the freeway for that long with no weatherstripping.

Vettezuki 09-20-2008 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 6528)
Sorry. I really want to go on the moonlight run, and I still have a lot of work left to do. I'm touchy. I suppose I could go before the paint, but it would suck to be on the freeway for that long with no weatherstripping.

I understand. Earplugs might work for you in that case. :huh: Seriously, they'll cut out a lot of the hi-freq stuff and leave most of the massive rumble alone. You can also roll with any number of us. And oh yeah, I promise this is just the beginning of (hopefully) creative runs, cruises and events.

BRUTAL64 09-22-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_G (Post 6511)
It appears you have a few more functioning brain cells than I. I stand corrected. Got to see that movie again.

Memorable quotes for
The Gumball Rally (1976) More at IMDb Pro »

Smith: So what is this, a vintage car?
Bannon: Well Smitty, some things get meaner as they get older.
Prof. Samuel Graves - Cobra Team: [about the Gumball Rally] To you this is just a stunt! Me, I've got a shot at tenure.. all I gotta do is stay out of trouble for a couple more years and I'll be set for life. I can't risk that!
Bannon: It's not a risk...it's a challenge.
Franco: [about their Ferrari] How's the bambina?
Smith: She's a-fulla gas, she's-a wait for you!
Franco: Hey, you make a good Italian!
Bannon: Hey Franco! Your mother called, she's been looking all over for you!
Franco: Now you make jokes on my mother, huh?
Bannon: No... about your mother, not on your mother. I wouldn't get *on* your mother!
Gibson - Camaro Team: [their Camaro is running hot] Jeez, can't we turn off the heater?
Ace Preston: Either the engine gets hot, or we get hot!
Gibson - Camaro Team: Well, I'm about to have a stroke!
Ace Preston: A stroke? I should be so lucky!
Barney Donahue: Andy, I need an inspiration.
Andy McAllister - Mercedes Team: Yeah, it's that time of the morning.
Barney Donahue: Something to make the blood *hot*.
Andy McAllister - Mercedes Team: [pulls out a bottle] What would you say to a bit of Henry the Fifth?
Barney Donahue: Ah, you're a mind reader!
Franco: [shouting] Now you are marked...for life!
Jane - Porsche Team: Alright, the lights are set to 32 miles per hour, just keep going on Sepulveda!
Alice - Porsche Team: OK, hang on!
[starts to downshift and floor the throttle]
Alice - Porsche Team: [Two motorcycle cops pull up on either side to check out the girls, and Alice holds up] Smile!
Jane - Porsche Team: How fast are we going now?
Alice - Porsche Team: [with a large fake smile on her face] 32 miles an hour.
Roscoe: This is Roscoe's Last Stand!
Roscoe: One day, Bannon... you *and* Smith!
Bannon: The age of the motor car is over.
Franco: And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving.
[Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car]
Franco: What's-a behind me is not important.

Chopper Pilot: Sir? We can't catch 'em.
Roscoe: Whaddaya mean?
Chopper Pilot: They must be doing 180. We don't even have a fixed-wing that'll go that fast!
Bannon: Fifty-five is fast enough to kill you, but slow enough to make you think you're safe.
Barney Donahue: You know how often my wife tried to get me to get rid of this car? Well that's German machinery for you. The car outlasted her.

I was close. Hell, I saw that movie went it came out at a drive in. We actually watched it.:judge:

BRUTAL64 09-22-2008 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 6528)

Just primer it. Then go on the run and check the body afterwards for cracks. :thumbs_up:

enkeivette 09-22-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 6598)
Just primer it. Then go on the run and check the body afterwards for cracks. :thumbs_up:

That's a really good idea actually. But don't most cracks take a year to show through? I'm sort of worried about the rear bumper, because someone else glued it on and used 10lbs of Bondo. I took off all of the Bondo, but I'll have to live with the last glue job. I'll just do the best job with the reinforced filler that I can.

BRUTAL64 09-22-2008 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 6604)
That's a really good idea actually. But don't most cracks take a year to show through? I'm sort of worried about the rear bumper, because someone else glued it on and used 10lbs of Bondo. I took off all of the Bondo, but I'll have to live with the last glue job. I'll just do the best job with the reinforced filler that I can.

Yea, the 1 year cracks are the tough ones. If there is a really stressed or shit area, it should show up right away. You see, I'm doing the crack test, it's been going on since 1973.:laugh:

SeanPlunk 09-27-2008 04:37 PM

Brutal, I saw this and thought of you. Not many cars can do the flat black thing, but this one works for me :hail:

Vettezuki 09-27-2008 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 6779)
Brutal, I saw this and thought of you. Not many cars can do the flat black thing, but this one works for me :hail:

You know, I was never much of a fan of the GT, but this one looks wiked bad. I keep running into blacked out C6Zs, those are some bad muthas.

BRUTAL64 09-29-2008 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 6779)

Yea, way cool.:bigthumbsup:

enkeivette 01-23-2009 10:11 PM

Shirley, if you look closely, you can see that I reused the lip from the 74 bumper. I cut it off, then after I laid out the piece to fill in the gap, I carefully placed the cut off lip on the new glass and set it at the correct angle. Then I laid some pieces over the new glass connecting it to the lip. Lay some thin pieces around the curved part to connect the lips. Then drill some new holes, or clean up the old ones rather.

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 5899)

Shirley1978 01-25-2009 01:10 PM

adam, ... never mind..i see now..

thanx anyways

-Jonny

kameleongt 02-02-2009 11:09 PM

damn that porsche looks effen sicK!