Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Engines, Transimissions, Suspension, etc. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Block filler. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28012)

enkeivette 05-06-2011 02:33 PM

Block filler.

Just reading up on 4.06 and 4.08 bores, for future reference. Looks like with over one bar block filler is reccommended. So what's the deal with this stuff? Can you pour it in on an engine stand and spin it aroud, do it yourself? Or how does it work? Does it make the engine run hotter?

Vettezuki 05-06-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 74249)
Just reading up on 4.06 and 4.08 bores, for future reference. Looks like with over one bar block filler is reccommended. So what's the deal with this stuff? Can you pour it in on an engine stand and spin it aroud, do it yourself? Or how does it work? Does it make the engine run hotter?

Uh, what's block filler?

94cobra69ss396 05-06-2011 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 74253)
Uh, what's block filler?

It's basically like cement. You pour it into the water jackets and it strengthens the bottom end of the block. Due to this it is not recommended for street cars. It is mostly used in drag cars that don't run long.

Adam, have you had the cylinder wall thickness checked? Why are you going to bore the block over that much? If it is just because you want to build the block you already have now I would just pick up another 350. You can pick them up for around $150. If you just want the extra cubes from a bigger bore, it's not worth it. I prefer the thicker walls for strength over the extra cubes.

enkeivette 05-06-2011 08:19 PM

I've got the heads on. I'm going to run it as is and see how it does. I was just thinking... if it doesn't run ok, or in the future.

I'd want to bore it over to get rid of the damage. If 4.04 didn't do it, I'd have to go 4.06, or 4.08. Which is when I'd want block filler.

I'd order lower compression pistons 2618 forged, and smaller HGs with the correct quench. Also a blower cam. Mmm. :D I think regardless of how it runs I'll treat myself once I get a job.

...Think I'd get some studs and girdles too. Do it right. So then, will the block filler make it run hotter???

94cobra69ss396 05-06-2011 08:21 PM

Just save up and get a Dart block instead. Then you won't have to worry.

enkeivette 05-06-2011 08:24 PM

Wait... I just read something about this. Is block filler supposed to fill the whole block? Or just coat the insides??? I was thinking it was just moved around to give a coating and then poured out...

enkeivette 05-06-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 74268)
Just save up and get a Dart block instead. Then you won't have to worry.

Is your BB a GM block?

94cobra69ss396 05-06-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 74269)
Wait... I just read something about this. Is block filler supposed to fill the whole block? Or just coat the insides??? I was thinking it was just moved around to give a coating and then poured out...

You pour it in about half way up in the water jacket and leave it. That's why it doesn't work in a street car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 74270)
Is your BB a GM block?

Yes, it is a factory 2 bolt GM block out of Phil's old '85 Suburban that he bought from our mom's cousin. The stock crank broke with about 200,000 miles on it. All it needed was a light hone and a line bore. I bought an Eagle cast crank and I'm using the original rods with ARP bolts.

94cobra69ss396 05-06-2011 08:38 PM

Here's the instructions for Hard Block.

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...str-022005.pdf

enkeivette 05-07-2011 12:21 AM

OIC, thought it was just a coating.

Vettezuki 05-07-2011 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 74280)
OIC, thought it was just a coating.

It's called block fill, not block coat. :nutkick:

Ditto on the Dart block. Ford Performance Solutions here in Anaheim sells a, let's say, very similar block, (yes Chevy as well as Ford) for rather less. . .

Shaolin Crane 05-10-2011 12:12 AM

I third the dart block, sometimes i regret seling it, but then i remember what it got me.

enkeivette 05-10-2011 01:20 PM

If I did that I would have literally no GM parts in the engine. Haha. As of now I have no moving GM parts.

It wouldn't really be a SBC, it would be a small block Dart/ AFR/ Scat/ JE/ Edelbrock/ Harland Sharp/ Comp/ MSD/ Barry Grant.

Vettezuki 05-10-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 74412)
If I did that I would have literally no GM parts in the engine. Haha. As of now I have no moving GM parts.

It wouldn't really be a SBC, it would be a small block Dart/ AFR/ Scat/ JE/ Edelbrock/ Harland Sharp/ Comp/ MSD/ Barry Grant.

And? It's SBC by form factor/basic design.

enkeivette 05-10-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 74432)
And? It's SBC by form factor/basic design.

I know, I was just being silly.

...While also bragging about my build.

enkeivette 05-10-2011 10:07 PM

And it is funny that not one single piece of my entire engine would be from GM. How many things in the world can you do that with? Certainly not every engine. ...Some guns I'll bet.

Shaolin Crane 05-10-2011 11:42 PM

Sadly only part of my engine that is ford is the block, probably the worst part to have too...
Someday I'll have a stroked ls7 but that's a long ways away

enkeivette 05-11-2011 09:39 AM

LS7 in your Fox? An FI LS7 or carbed?

Sonic03SVT 05-11-2011 11:24 AM

Traitorous pig.

Shaolin Crane 05-11-2011 12:26 PM

FI, I'm not a carb man.

Sonic, says the man with an ls powered vehicle :smack:

Vettezuki 05-11-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT (Post 74469)
Traitorous pig.

There's a long tradition of SBC's in Fords. :drink:

Personally I straight don't give a F*ck. Enkei and I want to put a 4-rotor in a 2nd Gen Camaro.

Sonic03SVT 05-11-2011 10:10 PM

My issue isnt with an LS swap, id love an LS FD or some such. Rather my issue is that people sell the ford motors so short. Nothing that an LS can do that a big inch windsor cant, people just dont bother to do it. The windsor motor is a fantastic platform, and it just doesnt get the credit it deserves. :huh:

Vettezuki 05-11-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT (Post 74499)
My issue isnt with an LS swap, id love an LS FD or some such. Rather my issue is that people sell the ford motors so short. Nothing that an LS can do that a big inch windsor cant, people just dont bother to do it. The windsor motor is a fantastic platform, and it just doesnt get the credit it deserves. :huh:

That's because of ease, convenience, rate of adoption, breadth of available parts and market prices, etc. It's probably more an economic distinction more than a technical one. I think BRUTAL64 said the big tipping point on this was back in the day when Edelbrock decided to focus on SBC over SBF. :huh:

But now that you mention it (and because I mortally hate GM) I wonder if one could do a Coyote motor into and FD. That'd be cool; a smooth DOHC in an FD. :thumbs_up:

enkeivette 05-11-2011 11:42 PM

I just wanna go really really fast.

Kozak 05-12-2011 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT (Post 74499)
Nothing that an LS can do that a big inch windsor cant, people just dont bother to do it.

I'm really trying not to be a fan boy, I'll include the Coyote if it makes you feel better because it makes my point too. 400 hp stock and 20mpg...just sayin'

Sonic03SVT 05-12-2011 11:34 AM

Yeah, but if youre doing a swap into a different car, what does stock performance have to do with anything? Again, not hating on the LS, Hell, look what im driving. Just wish the windsor would get a little credit sometimes, ive built some affordable and very strong windsors, if you know which parts to replace first it can economically viable as well.

enkeivette 05-12-2011 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT (Post 74529)
Yeah, but if youre doing a swap into a different car, what does stock performance have to do with anything? Again, not hating on the LS, Hell, look what im driving. Just wish the windsor would get a little credit sometimes, ive built some affordable and very strong windsors, if you know which parts to replace first it can economically viable as well.

I'm with Sonic only because BBFs and SBFs can be built cheaply too. It wouldn't be worth the headache of swap headers, mounts, and custom wiring/ throttle actuation to swap in a motor that didn't fit (IF I had another option). But I could care less about putting a GM engine in a Ford. That is the description of virtually every 32 roadster out there.

I thought about going LS in my car, but went SBC because I didn't want to deal with everything I said above. ...Though, gas was low $2 a gallon at the time.

If I had a fox body, I would build the 5.slow with a centrifugal blower. That car just isn't pretty enough to derserve an LS motor. Haha, sorry Shaolin.

Kozak 05-12-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic03SVT (Post 74529)

No I know what you mean, but you said "NOTHING" lol