Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Project Cars (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   My new toy- 1992 Miata (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24661)

AARP 01-27-2011 10:24 PM

My new toy- 1992 Miata

Hey guys, after months of scouring Craigslist and looking for a deal I finally found what I was looking for and thought I'd show her off. It's a 92' with 112,000 and (as far as I know) I'm the third owner. The car was used by gomiata.com as a show car and got pretty much every upgrade they could fit in it. Actually, you can still see a picture of it here http://www.gomiata.com/stipepa.html as they're still using it as the picture for their package deals.

I'm getting more used to the clutch every time I hop in it, but hill starts still aren't as good as they need to be. I have a feeling I'm holding the clutch in too long but that's the only way I don't stall. Now for something strange. The car has an aftermarket sony sound system and it also has an alarm. However, the LCD screen for the alarm is broken. Tonight when I parked her in the driveway she started dieseling without the key in the ignition. I had to stall to get it to stop. However, this has only happened once. I thought it may have something to do with the alarm (viper system?) but when I press the second button all that happens is the lights and console lights will turn on and off. As far as I know the third button doesn't do anything. Anyone have experience with these systems? Does my car have a remote start?

Here's some pics I took this afternoon.

Vettezuki 01-27-2011 10:50 PM

Awesome. :dinrk: I LOVE my wife's MX-5 (2006). Best handling car I've ever driven, not that I have a lot of experience.

Chuck 01-28-2011 05:21 AM

Is your alarm remote blue looks like a tiny cellphone?

AARP 01-28-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 67582)
Is your alarm remote blue looks like a tiny cellphone?

It's black and looks like a tiny cellphone with buttons at the bottom labeled I, II, and III.

SeanPlunk 01-28-2011 12:40 PM

That's awesome. Do I see an eaton blower in there?

AARP 01-28-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 67611)
That's awesome. Do I see an eaton blower in there?

That's actually a Jackson Racing that they don't make anymore. :bigthumbsup:

injdinjn 01-28-2011 04:21 PM

See you at Adams ;)

SoCalC55 01-28-2011 06:40 PM

niceeeee find

going to be perfect for the twisties! Any idea what power it's putting down

AARP 01-28-2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalC55 (Post 67640)
niceeeee find

going to be perfect for the twisties! Any idea what power it's putting down

A rough ballpark estimate is around 130HP (not bad when stock is 90), but I have no idea what kind of torque. It would be nice to get it dyno'd.

AARP 01-28-2011 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by injdinjn (Post 67629)
See you at Adams ;)

Ha, won't be until I get better at driving it.

94cobra69ss396 01-28-2011 09:10 PM

First off, beautiful car. Now to the dieseling. It's usaully caused by too much ignition timing. Do you know what it set to at idle?

BADDASSC6 01-28-2011 11:02 PM

I like it! Good find.

Kozak 01-31-2011 12:53 PM

I think if you hold the third button it pops your trunk, but I'm no expert.

AARP 01-31-2011 05:44 PM

Hmm, I've gotta ask you guys if this is normal. Today I stalled in an intersection (first time I've stalled in 3 days of driving) so I acted casual, put the hazards on, put the clutch in again and made sure I was in first. However, when I went to turn the ignition it wouldn't click over. I immediately went into panic mode and tried until about the fourth time when it would turn over. Is this normal?

Vettezuki 01-31-2011 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AARP (Post 67759)
Hmm, I've gotta ask you guys if this is normal. Today I stalled in an intersection (first time I've stalled in 3 days of driving) so I acted casual, put the hazards on, put the clutch in again and made sure I was in first. However, when I went to turn the ignition it wouldn't click over. I immediately went into panic mode and tried until about the fourth time when it would turn over. Is this normal?

No. The only thing that pops into mind is a potentially faulty neutral safety switch. If it happens again, take it out of first, into neutral and back into first, pumping the clutch, and see what happens. :huh: The swtich is designed to keep you from starting in gear. Jeeps (at least most Wranglers I know of) don't have them so you can start in gear. :nuts:

AARP 01-31-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 67760)
No. The only thing that pops into mind is a potentially faulty neutral safety switch. If it happens again, take it out of first, into neutral and back into first, pumping the clutch, and see what happens. :huh: The swtich is designed to keep you from starting in gear. Jeeps (at least most Wranglers I know of) don't have them so you can start in gear. :nuts:

Yeah, I've had this happen before after stalling, but usually it will turn right over. However, the rpm's would jump between 1500 and 500 and die in a couple seconds if I didn't gas it.

AARP 02-02-2011 05:26 PM

Started her up today and am still having a rough idle. However, I can now hear belts squealing at startup. Could these be related issues?

Vettezuki 02-02-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AARP (Post 67908)
Started her up today and am still having a rough idle. However, I can now hear belts squealing at startup. Could these be related issues?

I'm not sure, but doubt it. Are the belts worn? Do they seem to have decent tread and tension? The squealing is coming from them slipping on the pulleys before they grab. It's worst when it's cold and the rubber is hard.

Your rough idle could be from a large number of things. How many miles? When (if ever) did it get a thorough tuneup? Fouled plugs and dead O2 sensors don't bode well for performance. A failing MAF certainly could effect your idle. Any thought you might have a leak around the intake?

enkeivette 02-03-2011 02:08 PM

I always think it's strange when people supercharge a 4 cyl. But still cool. If the car is idling the same as it was before you took the key out, it may have to do with the alarm, if it's not an intermittent problem. But if it's 'dieseling,' running rougher but still chugging along, it does not have to do with the alarm.

Your rough idle has nothing to do with your squeaky belts. Your throttle body/ IAC is probably just dirty. Spray a ton of carb cleaner in there, then get it up to operating temp and run it hard.

Vettezuki 02-03-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 67953)
I always think it's strange when people supercharge a 4 cyl. But still cool. If the car is idling the same as it was before you took the key out, it may have to do with the alarm, if it's not an intermittent problem. But if it's 'dieseling,' running rougher but still chugging along, it does not have to do with the alarm.

Your rough idle has nothing to do with your squeaky belts. Your throttle body/ IAC is probably just dirty. Spray a ton of carb cleaner in there, then get it up to operating temp and run it hard.

You could use my favorite SeaFoam too. It's kind of amazing how much better some cars run after it's been used. Just bring it in through a vacuum line to the intake for a bit. Let it sit a while, fire it up and observe the battleship smoke screen that may emit (if it was all carboned up in the cylinders). Good advice on the TB too.

AARP 02-03-2011 04:16 PM

Alright, I'll let you guys take a look at it at the meet on the 13th. As far as the alarm, I got it disabled a couple days ago. :thumbs_up:

Chuck 02-03-2011 06:45 PM

The alarm could have had a remote start that was acting up.

AARP 03-05-2011 11:52 PM

Alrighty, bumping the thread because I believe I've isolated the issue today at a Miata Techday meet (which funny enough my engine died again on the way to. All of a sudden, "Oh **** my power steering just went out. Wait, no my engine died.") We think it's my fuel pressure regulator that's causing it. Here's a pic to show the Jackson Racing model.

With the low boost I'm running, I really don't think it's worth it to invest a bunch of money in a MegaSquirt and tune it. I think I'm just going to get another Jackson Racing one for around $100 off a guy that has an extra. Hopefully that'll solve my issue. How easy is it to remove and install a new one?

Vettezuki 03-06-2011 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AARP (Post 69627)
Alrighty, bumping the thread because I believe I've isolated the issue today at a Miata Techday meet (which funny enough my engine died again on the way to. All of a sudden, "Oh **** my power steering just went out. Wait, no my engine died.") We think it's my fuel pressure regulator that's causing it. Here's a pic to show the Jackson Racing model.

With the low boost I'm running, I really don't think it's worth it to invest a bunch of money in a MegaSquirt and tune it. I think I'm just going to get another Jackson Racing one for around $100 off a guy that has an extra. Hopefully that'll solve my issue. How easy is it to remove and install a new one?

Exactly why do you think it's the fuel pressure regulator?

AARP 03-06-2011 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 69628)
Exactly why do you think it's the fuel pressure regulator?

It seems it's not compensating adequately for the blower. I'm not 100% sure it's the culprit, which is why I'm going to take it to a miata mechanic first, but it seems to be likely at this point with the surging, crappy idle, and it running rich/lean.

AARP 03-13-2011 11:43 PM

Still haven't had time to get the fuel pressure issue checked out, but I am seriously tired of my god awful "baller" 17" wheels. I'll possibly be selling my bike since I don't ride enough to pick up these:
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...t/21-1013.html
Very similar to Enkei RPF-1's but weighing 13lbs at $125 each.
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...60-0157WO.html
Or possibly with Kuhmo's mounted on them, but the price seems a bit high since TireRack charges $90 per for the same tire. Anyone have experience mounting their own tires?

Also, considering I currently have 17's I'm hoping I don't have to roll my fenders. I can't tell if they've already been rolled or not.

Vettezuki 03-14-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AARP (Post 70163)
Still haven't had time to get the fuel pressure issue checked out, but I am seriously tired of my god awful "baller" 17" wheels. I'll possibly be selling my bike since I don't ride enough to pick up these:
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...t/21-1013.html
Very similar to Enkei RPF-1's but weighing 13lbs at $125 each.
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda...60-0157WO.html
Or possibly with Kuhmo's mounted on them, but the price seems a bit high since TireRack charges $90 per for the same tire. Anyone have experience mounting their own tires?

Also, considering I currently have 17's I'm hoping I don't have to roll my fenders. I can't tell if they've already been rolled or not.

I wouldn't think to mount my own tires. It's like $10/each almost anywhere. Probably less if you look around. They have the automated machines for this and will bang it out in minutes. If you try to do it manually, it's going to be a fight and you might ding up your rims in the process. JMO.

Oh, hit up Leedom. He knows a place in South OC that has consistently low out the door prices for wheels and tires.

Leedom 03-14-2011 01:24 PM

Tucker Tire in Laguna Niguel of the 5 @ Crown Valley - (949) 364-3225.

They rock!

AARP 03-14-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 70204)
Tucker Tire in Laguna Niguel of the 5 @ Crown Valley - (949) 364-3225.

They rock!

Alrighty, I'll hit em up after I get the money. Dunno if they'll have the Konig's as they seem to be pretty new and not too prevalent. But I'll definitely talk to them about the Kuhmo's and getting them mounted.

Shaolin Crane 03-14-2011 09:36 PM

K&E Tires in el monte. They are a whole saler, pay cash, no tax and will mount and balance on the spot too. Got 4 NT05's in a 275/40/17 for $580 Mounted and balanced.
2503 Seaman Avenue South El Monte, CA 91733-1927 - (626) 453-0491

AARP 03-15-2011 10:53 PM

So as a poor high school student, I think I'll be going with the Kuhmo Ecsta ASX instead of the XS as a treadwear of 420 goes a lot longer than 180, plus they're about $20-25 cheaper per tire. Plus, I get to wiggle my tail more often :p

Leedom/Shaolin, do you remember how much your shops charge to mount/balance?

Shaolin Crane 03-15-2011 11:23 PM

I dont recall exactly, something like $10-15 a tire. On the 07 it was 580 for Pirelli P-Zeros mounted and balanced.

AARP 03-16-2011 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 70366)
I dont recall exactly, something like $10-15 a tire. On the 07 it was 580 for Pirelli P-Zeros mounted and balanced.

:D

Damn that's cheap.

Ryridesmotox 03-17-2011 12:52 AM

bitchin little miata dude. Those are fun to drive for sure.

AARP 05-03-2011 11:46 PM

So, since my rear diff (one of the notoriously bad 1.6 versions) grenaded on me on Fullerton Rd., I've managed to get a 04 MazdaSpeed Miata's Torsen LSD. Not only that, but I'm also getting it's big brakes/rotors aswell. Now if I only the money to swap in it's 6 speed tranny too...

SeanPlunk 05-04-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AARP (Post 74029)
So, since my rear diff (one of the notoriously bad 1.6 versions) grenaded on me on Fullerton Rd., I've managed to get a 04 MazdaSpeed Miata's Torsen LSD. Not only that, but I'm also getting it's big brakes/rotors aswell. Now if I only the money to swap in it's 6 speed tranny too...

I didn't know you blew your diff, total bummer :(

When are you putting the new stuff on?

AARP 05-04-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 74058)
I didn't know you blew your diff, total bummer :(

When are you putting the new stuff on?

Already bought the rear end, working on talking the guy down on the entire break set up on his MSM. He said he can't ship till Monday so I might be out for the cruise.

Small White Car 05-04-2011 05:13 PM

Don't bother with the 6sp. It won't do anything for you performance wise, it's just more rowing, the ratios are too close. The 5sp is perfect for the the little bugger. You got the axles to go with the Torson, correct?

And ship? Where you buying from? Did you talk to Erik? Have you been in touch with Roman in Pasadena?

AARP 05-04-2011 09:49 PM

Yep, I got the bosch torsen 4.1, beefy MSM axles, and driveshaft for 650 shipped from Florida. Matt's selling me his sport brakes for 150 also. Erik's installing everything.

Kozak 05-05-2011 01:20 PM

And here I'm having trouble saving up for my headers at 24 years old