Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   4x4 and Off Road (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   What's your favorite truck? (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11098)

enkeivette 12-11-2009 03:57 PM

What's your favorite truck?

My vote.

2nd gen Ford Ranger, 2WD, MODIFIED.

SeanPlunk 12-11-2009 04:33 PM

Blue Ford Raptor with a heads and cam BOSS 6.2L.

BRUTAL64 12-11-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 40073)

Second that, except white in color. Well, maybe Black...:inout:

Leedom 12-12-2009 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 40073)

Me too. Without graphics.

Leedom 12-12-2009 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 40067)
My vote.

2nd gen Ford Ranger, 2WD, MODIFIED.

You realize that is not a 2nd Gen right (our generation has seen at least 3, that is the 2 gen suspension though)? there was a gen pretty much through the 80' and early 90's, another 93 to 97 (one of the shortest gens that I can remember, and the gen of my first automobile), 99-current pretty much. Ranger is do for a new gen if you ask me. The ranger nameplate was a trim level on f-150s before it became its own truck.

More info:
http://www.therangerstation.com/reso...gerHistory.htm

Vettezuki 12-12-2009 01:36 AM

I was gonna say something predictable like a Cyclone. But then I remembered the truck I just about literally grew up in. It was my dad's work truck.

Jeep J20

Later when I was about 16 I got it for a while. It was affectionately known as "The Antichrist" for it's, mmm, temperamental behavior.

SoCalC55 12-12-2009 11:28 AM

Camburg's Edge was far more bad ass [but maybe im just bias]

SeanPlunk 12-12-2009 01:15 PM

Leedom 12-12-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalC55 (Post 40126)
Camburg's Edge was far more bad ass [but maybe im just bias]

They make some bada$$ $hit!!!

enkeivette 12-12-2009 01:45 PM

Leedom and SoCal55, you guys are both stupid.

I don't care if a 97 is considered a different model, and I don't care if an Edge is a different model. They only changed the front grill and sidemarkers! I won't grant them a 3rd gen until they actually change the body style!

They put a different bumper on the Edge and a cowl in the hood and I'm supposed to consider it a different model? No.

I just called a 99 Viper a 1st gen in the other thread, are you going to cry about that too because they added a hatchback window since the original?

Going by this logic Corvettes would be on the 12th generation.

= =

SeanPlunk 12-12-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 40145)

I don't care if a 97 is considered a different model, and I don't care if an Edge is a different model. They only changed the front grill and sidemarkers! I won't grant them a 3rd gen until they actually change the body style!

They put a different bumper on the Edge and a cowl in the hood and I'm supposed to consider it a different model? No.

I just called a 99 Viper a 1st gen in the other thread, are you going to cry about that too because they added a hatchback window since the original?

= =

I agree to some extent, but a 99 Viper is indeed a 2nd gen.

enkeivette 12-12-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 40146)

Cry?

SeanPlunk 12-12-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 40147)
Cry?

No, just stating facts. The 2nd gen Viper was more than just the introduction of the GTS ;)

enkeivette 12-12-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 40146)

So then Sean, you would have to agree.

6th gen Corvette (1975)

7th gen Corvette (1978)

SeanPlunk 12-12-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 40150)
So then Sean, you would have to agree.

6th gen Corvette (1975)

7th gen Corvette (1978)

Although in automotive terms a "generation" is fairly subjective, I believe that the differences in appearance, drivetrain, and overall packaging are enough to distinguish the 96-02 Viper as a 2nd Gen. One could make the same argument for the Vette, but I honestly don't know enough about the differences in the models you show to give any kind of opinion.

enkeivette 12-12-2009 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 40151)
Although in automotive terms a "generation" is fairly subjective, I believe that the differences in appearance, drivetrain, and overall packaging are enough to distinguish the 96-02 Viper as a 2nd Gen. One could make the same argument for the Vette, but I honestly don't know enough about the differences in the models you show to give any kind of opinion.

69 Corvette, chrome bumpers. 435hp 427ci, 4 speed manual. Factory sidepipes. 3rd generation.

82 Corvette, removable urethane bumpers, very different styles. Makes the car about a foot longer. 205hp 350ci EFI best available, 4 speed automatic overdrive only. No side pipes available. Different front clip, different rear clip, different hood, different doors with aluminum crash hardware. Glass rear window, no convertibles available. Different seats and interior completely. Iron diff changed to aluminum diff and crossmember. And I don't think 82s came with rallye wheels. 3rd generation.

enkeivette 12-12-2009 02:17 PM

Also the frame was stronger in 78 on, and the fiberglass tunnel was replaced with a steel tunnel.

Different body, different frame, different drivetrain. But since the body had the same lines around the fenders, GM considered it the same generation.

Don't even get me started on the 20th generation Evo. :leaving:

Vettezuki 12-12-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 40154)
. . different frame. . .

Uh, what? AFAIK, the frame is essentially the same 63-82.

enkeivette 12-12-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 40157)

Essentially. But there's a reason the 74 and earlier vettes had problems with the frame cracking with high enough hp. Do a search on CF. 78 and 79 were actually the strongest C3s available and the heaviest. Strongest frame, strongest diff.

You could drop any C3 body on any C3 frame, without the frame extensions and crash harware of the later C3s, but yes, frames were different. I'm sure Glenn or Bird could explain this better than I can.

BRIAN 12-12-2009 03:34 PM

Move out the way!!!

enkeivette 12-12-2009 03:37 PM

Those Tundras got BIG.

Ben, GKULL is actually the frame expert as I remember on CF if you really want some info.

Vettezuki 12-12-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 40163)
Essentially. But there's a reason the 74 and earlier vettes had problems with the frame cracking with high enough hp. Do a search on CF. 78 and 79 were actually the strongest C3s available and the heaviest. Strongest frame, strongest diff.

You could drop any C3 body on any C3 frame, without the frame extensions and crash harware of the later C3s, but yes, frames were different. I'm sure Glenn or Bird could explain this better than I can.

I knew they had different diffs, but didn't know there was much difference in any of the frames. I'll ask Glenn tonight. FWIW, I like my 3,100lbs full wet weight C3. :)

enkeivette 12-12-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 40167)
I knew they had different diffs, but didn't know there was much difference in any of the frames. I'll ask Glenn tonight. FWIW, I like my 3,100lbs full wet weight C3. :)

GKULL

BRUTAL64 12-12-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 40157)

Yep, only minor differences. Most of those were improvements. Frame reinforcements and the like.....the biggest differences is the front and rear frame areas for the rubber noses.:)

Damian 12-12-2009 08:40 PM

Syclone.

Leedom 12-13-2009 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 40145)

= =

Sorry if I considered a front end change and completely new suspension from the i-beam to the a-arm a new Gen. I am an idiot. You are all knowing. :bow:

Based on your logic, does Sean and my gen mustang get lumped into the 93-98 since all they really did was sharpen some lines. Other than that they look pretty similar. same profile.
99-04

94-98

jedhead 12-13-2009 01:45 AM

What I used to own. 1976 Ford F150 4X4 with the short wide bed. 428SCJ instead of the 360 (last year for FE block trucks) with 4 speed manual, two speed transfer case. Twin shocks in the front. Torsen equipped Dana 44 and Detroit locker equipped 9" rear. I never got stuck in that truck. It would go everywhere.

Bob

enkeivette 12-13-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 40199)
Sorry if I considered a front end change and completely new suspension from the i-beam to the a-arm a new Gen. I am an idiot. You are all knowing. :bow:

Based on your logic, does Sean and my gen mustang get lumped into the 93-98 since all they really did was sharpen some lines. Other than that they look pretty similar. same profile.
99-04

94-98

Sharpen some lines? :sm_laughing: Really? Did you not notice that every single body panel is different on those two different generations? Find one external body panel that would swap over, just one. Now answer me this, how is it that I was able to install 98 - 03 tail lights in my friends 94 Ranger with only some custom wiring? And tell me you'd notice a difference if we took an entire Ranger bed (fenders and tailgate) from a newer truck and dropped it on an 93. And tell me why 93-97 Rangers run the same one piece flared front end that the later trucks do. (See below) I'd like to see you transfer the front end of a 94 Mustang onto your car. If you can do this, I will give you my car.

But yes, I'm glad you acknowledge that you and Sean have the same gen Mustang. Even though Sean has a different hood, different front bumper, (a complete front end change, more than they did to the Ranger) a different rear bumper and a different drivetrain. Oh yeah, and a different rear suspension setup. And probably a bunch of other stuff that I don't know about.

Yes I know about the I beams, and actually, unless you own your own fab shop and can move the motor back, move the frame in, so that you can move the a-arms in far enough and make them long enough for decent travel, I beams are the way to go. Which would be... 2nd gen right? :rolleyes:

Leedom 12-13-2009 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 40218)
And tell me why 93-97 Rangers run the same one piece flared front end that the later trucks do. (See below) I'd like to see you transfer the front end of a 94 Mustang onto your car. If you can do this, I will give you my car.

Guess what, you can also get a flared fiberglass F-150 front end for your ranger as well and it looks like it was always part of the look of the truck when you use custom parts to prove your point. you can convert your 87 ranger to the front end of a 94 ranger with a conversion clip front end too. I for sure could blend a customer made front end of a 94 mustang to the front of my 03 mustang.

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 40218)
Yes I know about the I beams, and actually, unless you own your own fab shop and can move the motor back, move the frame in, so that you can move the a-arms in far enough and make them long enough for decent travel, I beams are the way to go. Which would be... 2nd gen right? :rolleyes:

That statement is a matter of opionion. There are pros and cons to both suspensions, but if I had my choice I would go a-arm. Granted it would be a widened a-arm to get more travel but still an a-arm (can get up to 17" of travel without changing motor location or frame). The camber change is more suitable for stability in my mind. The i-beam are a tough suspension though and easy to get A LOT of travel out of (16"-20"+). I would be happy with either out in the dirt. And yes, 2nd gen ranger in my eyes is the I beam from 93-97

94cobra69ss396 12-13-2009 10:43 PM

An A-arm suspension is superior to the I-beam in terms of handling. However, you are limited to just how much travel (14-15 inches) you can get with the stock mounting locations without overly widening the front end. Now on the I-beam suspension you can get much more with the stock I-beam mounting locations but you do have to move the radius arm mounting locations back and use extended radius arms. But you can get 20+ inches of travel fairly easy. In terms of cost the I-beam suspension wins hands down. If I were to choose a truck to build as a prerunner it would definately be a pre '76 F150 with the I-beams.

enkeivette 12-13-2009 11:13 PM

Leedom, I don't believe you really think the 97s and earlier look different enough from the 98s and newer. I think you were just making a distinction induced by your knowledge and now you feel the need to stand by it.

A-arms, better geometry, yeah. You know it's not an I-beam truck when it doesn't have 10 degrees of negative camber after backing up. I-beams, better for the guy who can't fab who wants a strong setup without breaking the bank, if you want real travel.

...Now I want a Ranger. Damn.

Leedom 12-14-2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 40250)
Leedom, I don't believe you really think the 97s and earlier look different enough from the 98s and newer. I think you were just making a distinction induced by your knowledge and now you feel the need to stand by it.

I am not arguing that there is a total difference in the pre 98 and post 98 body style but for me the a-arm suspension classifies it differently in my mind, whether it is a new gen or not I do not care.

Throttle Crazy 12-14-2009 11:35 AM

I already own mine. I like the 1968 to 1979 FJ40 Land Cruiser. I also like the 1972 to 1992 full size blazer/jimmy.

enkeivette 12-14-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 40268)
I am not arguing that there is a total difference in the pre 98 and post 98 body style but for me the a-arm suspension classifies it differently in my mind, whether it is a new gen or not I do not care.

Does Sean's IRS make his a different model than yours?

Leedom 12-14-2009 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 40332)
Does Sean's IRS make his a different model than yours?

Sean's is a different model! I have never argued that. Since when have we talked about the difference in models. Just differences in years. I really do not care if it is a different gen or not. I classify the 98 and newer differently then the 93-97. that is it. if you said to someone who knows anything about Rangers you wanted a 2nd gen they would ask i-beams or a-arms (since you are showing an off-road version I would assume you would be talking with someone who also likes off roading in this case). That is a big difference and it also happens to be the difference I see. Also I really doubt that they would ask what model for the most part unless they were talking about an edge because there are differences in that suspension compared to the rest, but that is a minor part about this argument.

94cobra69ss396 12-15-2009 11:46 AM

Here's my favorite truck!

Leedom 12-15-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 40370)

If we can have customer trucks a Trophy truck would definitely be my choice

Throttle Crazy 12-15-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

I am not sure we can consider this a truck anymore. I think once it has a full tubeular chassis it is a Truggy!! Still completely Bad Ass for sure. Is street legal a requirement?

BRUTAL64 12-15-2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Here's my favorite truck!

]

Their shop used to be across the street from my shop. They had quite the collection of race trucks.

gsteichen 12-16-2009 07:43 AM

:bigthumbsup:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Throttle Crazy (Post 40279)

I already own mine. I like the 1968 to 1979 FJ40 Land Cruiser. I also like the 1972 to 1992 full size blazer/jimmy.

:bigthumbsup: Love the FJ40, I see one parked along my route home from the office every day. Someday I'll get a wild hair and leave an offer on his windshield!