Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   User Project Cars (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   The Solution... (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11412)

BlacknBoostn 12-21-2009 11:34 PM

The Solution...

Ok it's pretty simple. I need an exhaust that passes the decibel test. My only options are to

A)buy a 600 dollar exhaust with a muffler (not something I'd like to do)

B)buy an axelback from the same gen regular neon (if it'll bolt up) and slap that on

Or

C)add a muffler into the stock exhaust.

Whatever is going to be cost effective is best.

Discuss... Thanks again

BRUTAL64 12-22-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 40884)
Ok it's pretty simple. I need an exhaust that passes the decibel test. My only options are to

A)buy a 600 dollar exhaust with a muffler (not something I'd like to do)

B)buy an axelback from the same gen regular neon (if it'll bolt up) and slap that on

Or

C)add a muffler into the stock exhaust.

Whatever is going to be cost effective is best.

Discuss... Thanks again

I would think a good flowing muffler would do it. How much do you need to flow?

Vettezuki 12-22-2009 01:10 AM

Do they make glass packs for the SRT4? (Inserts like on the Viper.)

BADDASSC6 12-22-2009 08:46 AM

Do you have a boost controller? If so turn it WAY down and go retest. What did they say about the previous test results? They are Fucked up. One of my videos was filmed from a 450 whp SRT-4 with side exhaust that wasn't anywhere near as loud as what they are claiming your car is. Do you have a catalyc converter??

BlacknBoostn 12-22-2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 40910)
Do you have a boost controller? If so turn it WAY down and go retest. What did they say about the previous test results? They are Fucked up. One of my videos was filmed from a 450 whp SRT-4 with side exhaust that wasn't anywhere near as loud as what they are claiming your car is. Do you have a catalyc converter??

I am going to say this one more time haha. The car is STOCK. Completely and in every way (except suspension) stock. No internals (that i know of, I'm the second owner), I have the stock o2 housing, stock downpipe with cat, stock catback including 2 resonators, stock intake, stock wastegate, no engine management, no stage kits... stocker than stock.

even if i had a boost controller it wouldn't help because holding the revs at 4050 is going to stay in vac.

The previous test results are bogus. i don't know how the stock exhaust and bone stock car couldn't pass... The judge didn't bother to look at the diagrams, he basically said "if you can't pass you can't pass"

I either had the option to go to trial and plead not guilty, plead guilty and pay $300, or go back to the ref. Ref is easier.

Vettezuki, I don't know anything about glasspacks... never worried about any type of muffler till this...

Brutal64, don't really care how free flowing at the moment, just need it to pass... it's probably going to be pulled off and replaced pretty soon with something better...

enkeivette 12-22-2009 12:39 PM

You should find a straight section where you can cut the pipe and then clamp on a cheap muffler from Kragen. No need to weld.

I'm not going to weld my Mom's exhaust. Just going to clamp a pipe in there. They make shot female sections to clamps two pieces of 2.25" together, sold at most autoparts stores. They also have $30 mufflers.

BlacknBoostn 12-22-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 40934)
You should find a straight section where you can cut the pipe and then clamp on a cheap muffler from Kragen. No need to weld.

I'm not going to weld my Mom's exhaust. Just going to clamp a pipe in there. They make shot female sections to clamps two pieces of 2.25" together, sold at most autoparts stores. They also have $30 mufflers.

hmmm thats a good idea... I'm going to have to swing through my local pep boys or kragen... cheapo muffler is all thats needed, just gotta quiet it down. it better be enough too!!!

BADDASSC6 12-22-2009 03:15 PM

Are you the original owner of the car?

Chuck 12-22-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 40953)
Are you the original owner of the car?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 40915)
(that i know of, I'm the second owner),

I think this answers your qustion :sm_laughing:

BlacknBoostn 12-22-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck (Post 40960)
I think this answers your qustion :sm_laughing:

quoted for truth... :smack:

BADDASSC6 12-22-2009 04:50 PM

I would disconnect the entire exhaust and make sure that the previous owner didn't do any DIY mods. Like knock out the element of the converter. As far as the previous couple of responses, I wouldn't be such a smart ass considering you're asking for help and you can't figure out a simple problem on your own.

Think about it, you are going to add a second muffler to a completely stock car because a test administered by a high school graduate states that your car at ~4000 rpms is louder than a Winston Cup car?????

Since you are not a capable thinker let me give you some options:

A) Retest the car somewhere else and see if the test results are the same. Most likely they won't be.

B) Get a lawyer to make it disappear (~$600 I do this with my speeding tickets).

C) Pay the fine and don't change the car.

D) Add a extra muffler to your car to fix a problem that probably doesn't exist.

BlacknBoostn 12-22-2009 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 40970)
I would disconnect the entire exhaust and make sure that the previous owner didn't do any DIY mods. Like knock out the element of the converter. As far as the previous couple of responses, I wouldn't be such a smart ass considering you're asking for help and you can't figure out a simple problem on your own.

Think about it, you are going to add a second muffler to a completely stock car because a test administered by a high school graduate states that your car at ~4000 rpms is louder than a Winston Cup car?????

Since you are not a capable thinker let me give you some options:

A) Retest the car somewhere else and see if the test results are the same. Most likely they won't be.

B) Get a lawyer to make it disappear (~$600 I do this with my speeding tickets).

C) Pay the fine and don't change the car.

D) Add a extra muffler to your car to fix a problem that probably doesn't exist.

Yikes I didn't think you'd take it all so personally... Every question that you've asked me had already been answered before. I'm not meaning to start a pissing contest. It's all in good fun.

The problem is not that it's not a simple problem, it's that it shouldn't be a problem. So, thank you sir for your input.

To be honest with you, having never met you, I've read your posts and had a certain level of respect for you. HOWEVER. If you had simply read my previous posts, and the OP, you would know that the car is stocker than stock. I have the stock DP WITH (with with with) cat, it's the STOCK exhaust. No need to ask questions such as "do you have a cat (I passed emissions), do you have a boost controller (don't know any stock cars that do), is it the stock exhaust, blah blah blah.

Nothing is adding up, that is why I'm reaching out the the community has a whole in order to maybe find out if I've missed something or if possibly someone has a connection at a muffler shop (that I probably wouldn't need at this point anyway thanks to Enkei).

So to finish this statement, I IN NO WAY INTEND TO BE A SMARTASS. I'm going to leave it at that. I just thought it was a little funny that you missed a comment that was a few posts above and that someone quoted that.

I will take your (A) suggestion and retest it elsewhere.

believe me, if i wanted to just pay the fine i'd have done that while i was modified more.

enkeivette 12-23-2009 01:39 PM

I'm with C6 on this one. SRT4s are not that loud, and I doubt the test requires a decibel rating on decel (which is when it would pop).

Take it to another tester, be cool and personable with him or her, and state your position that the car is stock. Hopefully this person won't be a dick and won't include the pops in the report to the judge. If they do again, fix it with the cheapo muffler rather than going to a judge. A judge will not be willing to listen to your automotive theories if he doesn't already understand. And it's not me up there, yet. :)

SeanPlunk 12-30-2009 09:48 PM

This topic ended poorly (I think Carlos was in a bad mood that day, lol). Boostn, did you ever have any luck getting this taken care of?

Everyone be nice this time - don't make me give any of you Leedom's "I party with Richard Simmons" avatar...

BADDASSC6 01-01-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 40976)
Yikes I didn't think you'd take it all so personally... Every question that you've asked me had already been answered before. I'm not meaning to start a pissing contest. It's all in good fun.

The problem is not that it's not a simple problem, it's that it shouldn't be a problem. So, thank you sir for your input.

To be honest with you, having never met you, I've read your posts and had a certain level of respect for you. HOWEVER. If you had simply read my previous posts, and the OP, you would know that the car is stocker than stock. I have the stock DP WITH (with with with) cat, it's the STOCK exhaust. No need to ask questions such as "do you have a cat (I passed emissions), do you have a boost controller (don't know any stock cars that do), is it the stock exhaust, blah blah blah.

Nothing is adding up, that is why I'm reaching out the the community has a whole in order to maybe find out if I've missed something or if possibly someone has a connection at a muffler shop (that I probably wouldn't need at this point anyway thanks to Enkei).

So to finish this statement, I IN NO WAY INTEND TO BE A SMARTASS. I'm going to leave it at that. I just thought it was a little funny that you missed a comment that was a few posts above and that someone quoted that.

I will take your (A) suggestion and retest it elsewhere.

believe me, if i wanted to just pay the fine i'd have done that while i was modified more.

I didn't read the post fully because the whole situation doesn't make sense. Just so you understand passing emissions doesn't mean anything. I have passed cars that "have" catalyc converters before.

kdracer73 01-14-2010 07:31 PM

Not sure if this would help or not, just saw it in yht Jegs book.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynatech/329/M80-00100/10002/-1

enkeivette 01-14-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdracer73 (Post 42592)
Not sure if this would help or not, just saw it in yht Jegs book.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynatech/329/M80-00100/10002/-1

That's actually a really good idea. I had something like that on my dirtbike, it made a differece.

BlacknBoostn 01-16-2010 08:24 AM

This currently has ended poorly. Enkei, I'd like to seek some advice from u if possible.. Or find someone who can make this go away, as in an attorney. Everything finally passed etc, went before a "stand in" commissioner. He knocked down the exhaust ticket to the 25 for passing the noise test (bought a 2nd gen neon muffler, brought it down to 83 decibels), but the emissions test for the violation code "pollution device" or whatever, don't have the ticket ob me right now, its costing me $100 mandatory fine, plus civil assesments (which I don't understand really) and is total, gonna cost me about $450. Bullshit. I was under the impression that the ticket was simply a "correctable" violation, I would just have to show that I passed and then pay 25. Enkei, can u shed some light on this for me? My head is spinning from this...

SeanPlunk 01-16-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 42772)
This currently has ended poorly. Enkei, I'd like to seek some advice from u if possible.. Or find someone who can make this go away, as in an attorney. Everything finally passed etc, went before a "stand in" commissioner. He knocked down the exhaust ticket to the 25 for passing the noise test (bought a 2nd gen neon muffler, brought it down to 83 decibels), but the emissions test for the violation code "pollution device" or whatever, don't have the ticket ob me right now, its costing me $100 mandatory fine, plus civil assesments (which I don't understand really) and is total, gonna cost me about $450. Bullshit. I was under the impression that the ticket was simply a "correctable" violation, I would just have to show that I passed and then pay 25. Enkei, can u shed some light on this for me? My head is spinning from this...

So after everything it passed and then they fined you anyway :inout:

That is bullshit. How did you get it to pass finally?

BlacknBoostn 01-16-2010 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 42773)
So after everything it passed and then they fined you anyway :inout:

That is bullshit. How did you get it to pass finally?

That is correct sir. F*ck CA. I threw on a reg neon muffler for the test... pulling it off again today or tomorrow.

enkeivette 01-16-2010 12:29 PM

Civil assesment means you were late, and for every 30 days or so that you go past your arraignment date they will stick it up your ass a little further. Those you can't get around.

If you think you can hire a lawyer for any less than $450 to make this go away, think again.

You may have a fighting chance to appeal the "pollution device" offense and win if you post the exact vehicle code violation so that I can see what it is.

BlacknBoostn 01-16-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 42783)
Civil assesment means you were late, and for every 30 days or so that you go past your arraignment date they will stick it up your ass a little further. Those you can't get around.

If you think you can hire a lawyer for any less than $450 to make this go away, think again.

You may have a fighting chance to appeal the "pollution device" offense and win if you post the exact vehicle code violation so that I can see what it is.

Whoa ok so even tho I made every court appearance, needed to request an extension (granted) in order to fix this and that etc to get it to pass I get fined?? Wow. I'm disgusted. For real. That's f*cking ridiculous.

BlacknBoostn 01-16-2010 04:46 PM

I'll post the violation in a while, thanks Enkei

enkeivette 01-16-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 42796)
Whoa ok so even tho I made every court appearance, needed to request an extension (granted) in order to fix this and that etc to get it to pass I get fined?? Wow. I'm disgusted. For real. That's f*cking ridiculous.

No, if you were granted an extension you should not have to pay a late fee. Appeal that too. Provide paperwork of the previous arraignment where they granted you an extension.

BlacknBoostn 01-16-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 42799)
No, if you were granted an extension you should not have to pay a late fee. Appeal that too. Provide paperwork of the previous arraignment where they granted you an extension.

Hmm what paperwork? All I have is the stupid little slip of paper that says the next date

enkeivette 01-17-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 42803)
Hmm what paperwork? All I have is the stupid little slip of paper that says the next date

That would be the paperwork.

BlacknBoostn 01-18-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 42828)
That would be the paperwork.

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...o/D-265-22.pdf

ok good to know, i didn't toss any of that. I'll be going back asap to deal with this shit. what do you think about that document enkei? I dug that up before my first ref appt but cause i didn't have an actual sticker, he didn't care.

ugh i'll post the violation today for sure.

BlacknBoostn 01-18-2010 11:36 AM

ok enkei, case no. is ORE12938 (just in case it helps), the violation number for the "pollution device" is 27156(b) VC

The exhaust one (which i'm not worried about lol) is 27150(a) VC

enkeivette 01-18-2010 03:58 PM

27156(b) Smog Device, vehicle not equipped with device when required, or device has been disconnected or modified.

First of all, a muffler has nothing to do with smog. Although a judge may not understand this. So, if I were you I'd take the car to Dodge and have the service dept. write you something saying that your exhaust is entirely stock and properly functioning. Then show that to the judge, along with pictures comparing your pipes to those on another stock SRT.

Now that you've passed the sound test ditch that Neon muffler and put the stock or better back on. And next time you drive by a cop be light on the throttle.

Dress up and address the judge only as your honor. Make eye contact and never interrupt him. Allow him to interrupt you. Assert your position logically and calmly, practice before you go in.

BlacknBoostn 01-18-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 42915)
27156(b) Smog Device, vehicle not equipped with device when required, or device has been disconnected or modified.

First of all, a muffler has nothing to do with smog. Although a judge may not understand this. So, if I were you I'd take the car to Dodge and have the service dept. write you something saying that your exhaust is entirely stock and properly functioning. Then show that to the judge, along with pictures comparing your pipes to those on another stock SRT.

Now that you've passed the sound test ditch that Neon muffler and put the stock or better back on. And next time you drive by a cop be light on the throttle.

Dress up and address the judge only as your honor. Make eye contact and never interrupt him. Allow him to interrupt you. Assert your position logically and calmly, practice before you go in.

Hmmm, yeah but the exhaust thing is fine and dandy. he's charging me 25 bucks for that violation. the problem was my intake... the mopar CAI didn't originally come with a CARB sticker, but it does now. I haven't been able to get ahold of that. Thats the actual violation thats causing the issue. Cop wrote me up and sent me to the ref for an intake. So, logically, I don't care about the exhaust crap at this point, it's not costing me anything than annoyance. the "smog device" crap is the bigger deal...

I was being EXTREMELY light on the throttle. I always am around a cop. The cop still told me my car sounded a damn truck. I'm not about to come charging off the line with that particular setup within ear shot of ANY cop lol. Why does everyone seem to think that I run around at WOT all the time lol? It's because i have a 4 cylinder isn't it... :rolling:

Thanks for ur help Enkei!!! lmk about that intake issue... did you check out that PDF???

enkeivette 01-19-2010 11:53 AM

Call the manufacturer of the intake, tell them your story, have them send you a CARB sticker. :judge:

I lost an Energy bushing on the freeway, called them and told them about it, they sent me one for free. I called MSD when my dist was acting up, they accepted it and set me up with a new one from Summit, free of shipping. Manufacturers will take care of you most of the time.

If they don't, flame them on a forum. Like I did with VBP.

BlacknBoostn 01-19-2010 01:23 PM

interesting, I shall try to call chrysler / Mopar :)

enkeivette 01-20-2010 06:57 PM

Btw, you should never have allowed a cop to look under your hood. If he hears a loud intake, now he has probable cause to FIRST obtain a search warrant to search your property (yes your engine bay). The worst he will do if you refuse his request to search will be to threaten you with getting a search warrant, so... fine, call his bluff. See if he's willing to sit there and wait for three hours. It's not like he's going to give you a break anyways, as you can see.

BlacknBoostn 01-20-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 43139)
Btw, you should never have allowed a cop to look under your hood. If he hears a loud intake, now he has probable cause to FIRST obtain a search warrant to search your property (yes your engine bay). The worst he will do if you refuse his request to search will be to threaten you with getting a search warrant, so... fine, call his bluff. See if he's willing to sit there and wait for three hours. It's not like he's going to give you a break anyways, as you can see.

Yah I considered that, but why should I worry about it when I have a legal intake lol. I had nothing to hide so no big deal lol. After this experience ur damn right he'll need to get a search warrant.

Oh an enkei, the extra money on the fee is $100 mandatory fine plus "penalty assesments" ok so now do u have a suggestion? Probably heading back to court tomorrow morning to request a trial or some bs. Enkei, how likely is it that if I go to trial and LOSE that I'll have to pay even more to the stupid government.

Vettezuki 01-20-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 43140)
. . .After this experience ur damn right he'll need to get a search warrant. . . I'll have to pay even more to the stupid government.

Use your anger. It makes you stroonger.

enkeivette 01-20-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 43140)
Yah I considered that, but why should I worry about it when I have a legal intake lol. I had nothing to hide so no big deal lol. After this experience ur damn right he'll need to get a search warrant.

Oh an enkei, the extra money on the fee is $100 mandatory fine plus "penalty assesments" ok so now do u have a suggestion? Probably heading back to court tomorrow morning to request a trial or some bs. Enkei, how likely is it that if I go to trial and LOSE that I'll have to pay even more to the stupid government.

Penalty assesment is prob from being late like I said. Otherwise the judge just didn't like you, prob because he thought you were disrespectful. If you were never late and you have the papers to prove it, prove it. If that's not the reason for the fine, ask what is. But it's prob one of those two things, that's really all I can think of.

BlacknBoostn 01-21-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 43145)
Penalty assesment is prob from being late like I said. Otherwise the judge just didn't like you, prob because he thought you were disrespectful. If you were never late and you have the papers to prove it, prove it. If that's not the reason for the fine, ask what is. But it's prob one of those two things, that's really all I can think of.

Ok, I'm just gonna give it a shot again and do what I can... I really appreciate ur input.

Please stop making assumptions about my behavior, I can't think of any possible way I might have been disrespectful. Not my first time talking to a judge. I always dress up, throw on a shirt and tie, address him as your honor, speak calmly and respectfully, don't interupt and speak like an educated human being. Like I said, I can't imagine any possible way I might have been disrespectful. Again, thanks for ur help Enkei, your insight has been really helpful. I should have the carb sticker friday.

enkeivette 01-21-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn (Post 43177)
Ok, I'm just gonna give it a shot again and do what I can... I really appreciate ur input.

Please stop making assumptions about my behavior, I can't think of any possible way I might have been disrespectful. Not my first time talking to a judge. I always dress up, throw on a shirt and tie, address him as your honor, speak calmly and respectfully, don't interupt and speak like an educated human being. Like I said, I can't imagine any possible way I might have been disrespectful. Again, thanks for ur help Enkei, your insight has been really helpful. I should have the carb sticker friday.

I wasn't assuming I was defaulting, I really can't imagine you acting any other way than nice and respectful. That's why if it's not for being late, somethings not right.

BlacknBoostn 01-21-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 43200)
I wasn't assuming I was defaulting, I really can't imagine you acting any other way than nice and respectful. That's why if it's not for being late, somethings not right.

Thanks man, this whole mess has really started to irritate me. Going back next week when I have the sticker. Hopefully its not a stand in commissioner (like last time).
Anyone wanna move out of california???

kdracer73 01-21-2010 03:38 PM

I have been bored at work today and have been doing some research on penalty assessment. It looks like a way for them to raise money, period. Most tickets have a " penalty assesment " attached. One site listed it this way:
It is an amount which is added to all fines and for bail for infractions and low grade misdemeanor offenses. It is charged pursuant to Government Code Section 76000 and Penal Code Section 1464 of the State of California. According to the law, the amount of the Penalty Assessment is $17.00 for every $10.00 or portion thereof of the fine or bail.

Example:
If one is fined $25.00, the Penalty Assessment charge will be $51.00 (3 X $17.00), plus the original fine of $25.00, plus any other assessment.
For every $17.00 of assessment collected, the money is allocated as follows:
$10.00 State Penalty Fund (1464 PC)
$7.00 County Penalty Fund (76000 GC)
The Penalty Assessment amount is subject to change by the legislature.

It has nothing to do with how you act.:judge: