Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tickets and Accidents (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   My sad day. (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31485)

Damian 08-27-2011 03:17 PM

My sad day.

I might as well post it here. First off, we were NOT racing at the time of the incident, we were heading someplace fun though.

Two weeks ago today, a buddy and I were headed out to do some comparison tests. We put gas in the Goat, and went to get on the 91 west. There was a red light and a truck turning right too. So we stopped. My buddy was in the GTO ahead of me and is horrible with directions. So the light turned green, and we went. I pulled up next to him and told him to follow me. We were only going about 20mph when this happened. I think when we took off, he gave it too much gas and it down shifted to 1st and he wasn't ready for it. So he lost control, went into my lane (the left lane) and I hit him in the drivers side door. I spun around and he went off of the edge and rolled it.

We both walked away with nothing wrong other than him landing on his head after he unbuckled the seat belt.

The GTO is a total loss, and will be paid off next week. The Eclispe was towed to my house so I could tear everything out and replace the radiator support section. That was the original plan but the whole front end needs to be replaced and I don't want to do that. So, I'm going to pick up an 01-03 Galant GTZ and swap over everything into that.

We did talk to two different CHP officers and neither of us were cited for anything. Luckily my buddy is still alive and not even in the hospital.

Damian 08-27-2011 03:18 PM

Good thing I didnt paint the Eclipse just yet, otherwise I'd be more upset about that.

SeanPlunk 08-27-2011 03:39 PM

Holy crap, I'm glad you're both okay. What a mess :(

Damian 08-27-2011 03:48 PM

The one thing that was funny was when the CHP officer asked for both of our licenses and registrations. My buddy handed him just his drivers license and I handed him my drivers license and insurance card. He asked for my buddies insurance and I told him the one I gave him will cover both cars. He looked at the card, looked at both of the cars and then looked at me. I just shook my head and said "yeah, that's right" and you could tell he didn't know what to say.

Shaolin Crane 08-27-2011 04:59 PM

So are they going to be covered?

Damian 08-27-2011 05:21 PM

The GTO is the only one that I'm claiming and it will be paid off this week by he insurance company. I didn't claim the Eclipse because it isn't worth jack and I didn't want them taking away all the engine/trans, and turbo setup I just got working flawlessly.

Shaolin Crane 08-27-2011 06:01 PM

I doubt they will total the eclipse, even if they do its always your right to have the car back first, i think when my buddy wrecked his car he got the check and bought it back for like $800

You should buy back the GTO and sell me the engine :)

Damian 08-27-2011 07:18 PM

They want $5k for the GTO for buy back. I wanted the engine/trans and all of it for a future project. I told them they might be the proud owners of a GTO.

Shaolin Crane 08-27-2011 07:57 PM

Negotiate them down, im sure you could walk away with it for 2k. They arent just going to give it back to you without a fight. Talk to Adam, he might have tips :huh:

Redondo Jon 08-27-2011 09:17 PM

I’m glad that you’re both uninjured. “Sad day.” I’d be devastated if that happened to mine.

Vettezuki 08-27-2011 09:37 PM

I'm sorry for the loss, but that's great no one got hurt. It's also a testament to the safety of modern cars.

Shaolin Crane 08-28-2011 01:54 AM

Seriously, i'd probably die if that happened to me in the mustang.

Damian 08-28-2011 11:22 AM

I was devastated, but at the same time I was just hoping everythig would work out in the end. That GTO was actually a pain in my ass with all of the problems I was having with it and the fact that it is a door ding magnet. No matter where I park, how I park, I always seem to park next to a descent looking car that can't open their doors without ramming it into mine first. Plus I had to rebuild the rear diff and fix the rear sagging coil springs again. I was going to fix all of that and then trade it in for a SUV for the wife. Now I don't have to fix it, so that saves me some cash.

When the 2nd CHP officer showed up, he thought my buddy and I were in the Eclipse together, he was shocked when we told he wasn't. My buddy finally went to the doctor just to make his mom happy and his doctor was blown away by what happened to the GTO and how he just walked into his office on his own power. The thing that I still don't understand is how none of the airbags deployed.

BADDASSC6 08-28-2011 01:25 PM

Thank God you're ok.

Redondo Jon 08-28-2011 07:25 PM

Airbags didn’t deploy?! Oh man… It doesn’t matter now but I’m planning a suspension replacement for mine & would have gladly given you my Pedders springs, providing that the new coil-overs work better. Oh well.

Vettezuki 08-28-2011 10:10 PM

Don't airbags in the steering wheel only deploy on frontal impact of a certain (relatively high) speed. Basically I'm not too surprised they didn't go off i you didn't impact something straight on.

Shaolin Crane 08-28-2011 10:34 PM

I hit a VW bug head on doing about 40mph in my dually and my air bags didnt deploy either.

Damian 08-28-2011 11:45 PM

My las car, the airbags deployed when I was going 45mph and a car pulled out of an apartment complex right in front of me.

Vettezuki 08-29-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian (Post 82067)
My las car, the airbags deployed when I was going 45mph and a car pulled out of an apartment complex right in front of me.

That would make sense to me. They're triggered by an accelerometer (measuring deacceleration). Basically if you're tumbling a round the airbag from the steering wheel wouldn't do anything for you anyways. It's really just to keep you in your seat and give you something with "give" to run into instead of the steering column.

Shaolin Crane 08-29-2011 12:41 AM

Then my dually must have been programmed to deploy the airbags for stuff that isnt puny haha. In all honest i didnt feel much, didnt even stop the truck.

jedhead 08-29-2011 01:36 AM

Glad everyone was unhurt.

Bob

silverscmustang 08-29-2011 08:33 AM

glad you guys are ok, bet that CHP guy will be telling your story for a couple years lol

enkeivette 08-30-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 82056)
Don't airbags in the steering wheel only deploy on frontal impact of a certain (relatively high) speed. Basically I'm not too surprised they didn't go off i you didn't impact something straight on.

Ya. And you can negotiate with insurance, but not by much. If they want 5K for you to keep the car, there's a reason. That means some junk yard is willing to pay nearly that much.

I think Alexis would be better to ask about this.

Damian 08-30-2011 11:01 AM

I'm sure they will tell everyone about it.

enkeivette 08-30-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 82069)
Then my dually must have been programmed to deploy the airbags for stuff that isnt puny haha. In all honest i didnt feel much, didnt even stop the truck.

Exactly. There isn't all that much force on your bumper given the ratio of your dually's momentum versus the weight of the bug.

Shaolin Crane 08-30-2011 11:09 AM

I got somewhat lucky, they didnt hit the bumper, they hit the massive tow hooks attached to the frame.

Kozak 09-01-2011 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redondo Jon (Post 82048)
Airbags didn’t deploy?! Oh man… It doesn’t matter now but I’m planning a suspension replacement for mine & would have gladly given you my Pedders springs, providing that the new coil-overs work better. Oh well.

Jon we need to discuss your generosity since I'm now the second best motorgen member with a GTO. Kidding aside, glad you're both alright Damian, I wouldn't have believed it if not from the horse's mouth. Not to say you're a horse...:sm_laughing:

Kozak 09-01-2011 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 82156)
Ya. And you can negotiate with insurance, but not by much. If they want 5K for you to keep the car, there's a reason. That means some junk yard is willing to pay nearly that much.

I think Alexis would be better to ask about this.

agree with this, I've bought two cars back from insurance companies for dirt cheap and wrecked GTOs are notoriously ripe money makers for junkyards. Me and Redondo Jon probably have a list of doo dads and things we could purchase off you. Plus I'm second in line for the LS2!

Shaolin Crane 09-01-2011 08:53 AM

Well if he was going to keep the motor that makes me second for the ls :)

enkeivette 09-01-2011 11:54 AM

He should pull it out and replace it with a blown out junkyard truck motor. Just bolt it in... oops.

Kozak 09-01-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane (Post 82291)
Well if he was going to keep the motor that makes me second for the ls :)

That's what I meant dickhead, after you :rolleyes: lol

Shaolin Crane 09-01-2011 08:03 PM

Oh ok, thanks for clearing it up, dick head, :rolling:

Damian 09-01-2011 10:51 PM

Give me $5k to buy it back and pay for the tow truck to your house and it's yours.

Shaolin Crane 09-01-2011 11:14 PM

Ha, if i had use for the whole car i would, or 5k, but sadly I are poor. :(

Damian 09-01-2011 11:32 PM

I know how you feel, if I had the cash, I'd buy it back in a heart beat. I still haven't found me a car yet. Who would have thought that an 01-03 Galant the way I want it would be so damn hard to find.

Damian 09-02-2011 10:17 PM

I really hope I can get this SUV that I've wanted to own since I was 15 or 16. I know that if I get it, a few of you might actually be jealous. 300whp and 360wtq on a dyno from the factory and they didn't even make 4,000 of them over 2 years.

Shaolin Crane 09-03-2011 12:01 AM

Saleen explorer?

Damian 09-03-2011 01:07 AM

You're kinda close, it's not a Ford.

2011GT302 09-03-2011 08:41 AM

GMC Syclone / Typhoon.....

Shaolin Crane 09-03-2011 11:32 AM

That was my next guess