Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   RX-Snake (Project Car) (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   RX-Snake: Body, Paint, Name, Logos (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1053)

joedls 12-31-2008 01:59 PM

RX-Snake: Body, Paint, Name, Logos

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 12164)
We need a name for this--- Like Mazbra or something simular?? "Cobza"---you get the idea.

How about RX Snake?

big2bird 12-31-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 12168)
How about RX Snake?

"APEX" (Make fun of the rotary seals):judge::laugh:

joedls 01-04-2009 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12436)

BTW, I've creaed a special user account for our project cars. Here's RX-Snake

Do I get a prize for naming her?

enkeivette 01-04-2009 12:52 PM

With a tight budget in mind we could use all paintwithpearl.com stuff.

Candy Orange for the lettering. (Motorgen.com on both sides, in huge letters.)

Blue Pearl over a white base.

We could also do a violet or a red pearl, or even a gold pearl over the white. For a very subtle look, you can do white pearl over white, but I imagine the theme of this car will not be subtle.

I was thinking that we could get a large dark blue vinyl cut out of a logo, maybe something like this. And lay it on the hood, over the white base before we clear it. By the way if you guys want to save time and money, we could also do that with the large motorgen logos on the side. Have some large neon orange vinyls made, put them on the white base after it dries for a few hours, then clear over vinyl. That's a great clean way to get a custom look.

If you guys like this idea, we should have Steve photoshop a nice one.

This guy cleared over an autobots logo on this motorcyle. You can't even tell that it was vinyl.

joedls 01-04-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12473)
Sean said he'd give you a big hug.

No, thanks. He can give it to you instead.

Vettezuki 01-04-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 12479)
With a tight budget in mind we could use all paintwithpearl.com stuff.

Candy Orange for the lettering. (Motorgen.com on both sides, in huge letters.)

. . .

Blue Pearl over a white base.

. . .

We could also do a violet or a red pearl, or even a gold pearl over the white. For a very subtle look, you can do white pearl over white, but I imagine the theme of this car will not be subtle.

I was thinking that we could get a large dark blue vinyl cut out of a logo, maybe something like this. And lay it on the hood, over the white base before we clear it. By the way if you guys want to save time and money, we could also do that with the large motorgen logos on the side. Have some large neon orange vinyls made, put them on the white base after it dries for a few hours, then clear over vinyl. That's a great clean way to get a custom look.

. . .

If you guys like this idea, we should have Steve photoshop a nice one.

This guy cleared over an autobots logo on this motorcyle. You can't even tell that it was vinyl.

. . .

I think we'll go blue pearl over white with the candy orange lettering. I'd like to paint the engine bay and interior as well. Gentleman, get ready to sand and prep, this bit will be labor intensive.

I also really like the direction of the RX Snake logo you mocked up. My only concern would be the IP rights to the snake. :huh: Especially considering Ford's penchant for going after enthusiasts for your using their trademarks. It's a touchy area.

Leedom 01-04-2009 11:45 PM

Here is a very rough concept for the RX-Snake Logo. Let me know what you guys think.

enkeivette 01-05-2009 12:15 AM

It's cool. I vote for mine over that one... but nicely done. Make one that looks like mine and let's make a poll. :D

I think it's funny that RX was supposed to stand for rotary experimental, so we're getting rid of the wrong part of the model name. Not that 7 is any more an indication of the car than RX, I think 7 denotes the 7th attempt?

Vettezuki 01-05-2009 12:34 AM

I actually like them both. But whatever we do, can we make it so we don't get sued by Ford. Thanks.

Leedom 01-05-2009 06:59 AM

That was my reasoning for doing the snake the way I did it, don't want motorgen to get sued. I will have to do some more rough concepts for people to possibly vote on and then make a really good one.

SeanPlunk 01-05-2009 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 12557)
It's cool. I vote for mine over that one... but nicely done. Make one that looks like mine and let's make a poll. :D

I think it's funny that RX was supposed to stand for rotary experimental, so we're getting rid of the wrong part of the model name. Not that 7 is any more an indication of the car than RX, I think 7 denotes the 7th attempt?

I'm voting for Leedom's. Ford is really going after people and I'm afraid if we use the SVT snake they might come after us....

BRUTAL64 01-05-2009 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12530)
I also really like the direction of the RX Snake logo you mocked up. My only concern would be the IP rights to the snake. :huh: Especially considering Ford's penchant for going after enthusiasts for your using their trademarks. It's a touchy area.

I would not worry about it. If FORD doesn't like it, they will send out a letter wanting money. :sm_up_there:

Vettezuki 01-05-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 12568)
I would not worry about it. If FORD doesn't like it, they will send out a letter wanting money. :sm_up_there:

If it's more than $20, we're on sketchy ground. If we stylize the snake and make it our own, it becomes more and more a grey area. Then only a real prick in their legal department would make an issue of it, which is still possible. I wonder what joedls's preference for direction is?

94cobra69ss396 01-05-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 12567)
I'm voting for Leedom's. Ford is really going after people and I'm afraid if we use the SVT snake they might come after us....

I thought that they were only after people who were selling unlicenced merchandise. We would not be selling anything therefore we wouldn't be violating the copyright. Enkeivette, this is your field can you confirm?

Vettezuki 01-05-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 (Post 12570)
I thought that they were only after people who were selling unlicenced merchandise. We would not be selling anything therefore we wouldn't be violating the copyright. Enkeivette, this is your field can you confirm?

In the field of IP, if you display a trademarked image, you as the licensee, or sublicensee (having bought a shirt, hat, etc.) will have paid for the right to use licensor's trademark. The fact we aren't selling a product is irrelevant to them. We would be publicly displaying their trademark without having licensed the use of the trademark.

Here's what most likely would happen. We could use it, potentially for a long period of time. Then eventually Ford Legal somehow finds out. Their most likely first course of action would simply be to send a cease and desist order, which means remove the trademark. Even I (and I'm super strict about this stuff) wouldn't expect to be sued for any monetary compensation since as you stated, it is not our intent to profit directly from the sale of merchandise using their trademark. It's just that ultimately, that it isn't what makes it legal or illegal.

BRUTAL64 01-05-2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12574)
In the field of IP, if you display a trademarked image, you as the licensee, or sublicensee (having bought a shirt, hat, etc.) will have paid for the right to use licensor's trademark. The fact we aren't selling a product is irrelevant to them. We would be publicly displaying their trademark without having licensed the use of the trademark.

Here's what most likely would happen. We could use it, potentially for a long period of time. Then eventually Ford Legal somehow finds out. Their most likely first course of action would simply be to send a cease and desist order, which means remove the trademark. Even I (and I'm super strict about this stuff) wouldn't expect to be sued for any monetary compensation since as you stated, it is not our intent to profit directly from the sale of merchandise using their trademark. It's just that ultimately, that it isn't what makes it legal or illegal.

Do you really think FORD is going to raise a stink about you using the Snake on the vehicle? We sell a number of licensed products (GM) here. I have never seen GM go after anyone for their use on a Vehicle.No matter how they used them.:motorsmile:

Vettezuki 01-05-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 12577)
Do you really think FORD is going to raise a stink about you using the Snake on the vehicle? We sell a number of licensed products (GM) here. I have never seen GM go after anyone for their use on a Vehicle.No matter how they used them.:motorsmile:

I would guess that's entirely a function of how exposed the car becomes. Additionally, since the car is connected to an entity (Motorgen.com) and not just a private individual, it raises the possibility of them raising a stink. BTW, I'm not saying forget it, just raising a flag and discussing risk aversion. I think keeping the basic design and stylizing the snake will substantially reduce the probability of possible trouble. Let's go ahead and one with a couple of variants of these two designs and see which one everyone likes the most on pure aesthetics. Then we can talk about it in concrete terms.

BRUTAL64 01-05-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 12579)
I would guess that's entirely a function of how exposed the car becomes. Additionally, since the car is connected to an entity (Motorgen.com) and not just a private individual, it raises the possibility of them raising a stink. BTW, I'm not saying forget it, just raising a flag and discussing risk aversion. I think keeping the basic design and stylizing the snake will substantially reduce the probability of possible trouble. Let's go ahead and one with a couple of variants of these two designs and see which one everyone likes the most on pure aesthetics. Then we can talk about it in concrete terms.

Since you are using the term "Snake" and not "Cobra" I'd say use it. ;)

BRUTAL64 01-05-2009 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 12555)
Here is a very rough concept for the RX-Snake Logo. Let me know what you guys think.

I like this one. I'd just say make the snake a little bigger. :thumbs_up:

94cobra69ss396 01-05-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 12581)
I like this one. I'd just say make the snake a little bigger. :thumbs_up:

I agree with Glenn. I like the way this looks better than having the snake on top of the RX.

94cobra69ss396 01-05-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 12589)

That one looks good too.

enkeivette 01-05-2009 12:46 PM

My new favorite, I stole Leedoms lettering.

enkeivette 01-05-2009 12:53 PM

I remember reading somewhere that "x" type of cars were only allowed to be driven on the road for purposes of driving to and from automotive events/ car shows. Which would be pretty much perfect.

By the way, yall need to vote for the last logo. It's a hybrid of both logos, sticking with the theme of the car. :D Plus, it's siiick.

Leedom 01-05-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 12601)
I remember reading somewhere that "x" type of cars were only allowed to be driven on the road for purposes of driving to and from automotive events/ car shows. Which would be pretty much perfect.

By the way, yall need to vote for the last logo. It's a hybrid of both logos, sticking with the theme of the car. :D Plus, it's siiick.

The future lawyer thinks he is a graphic artist! :laugh:

enkeivette 01-05-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 12603)
The future lawyer thinks he is a graphic artist! :laugh:

Ouch, my pride. :o

I know it's not nicely done, and it would need to be redone by someone who knows their way around photshop, not someone who spends an hour in paint with a pencil and eraser in zoom mode.

But, I really like the idea of a cascading graphic. I invision a large logo on the center of the hood, underneath the clear coat. And a cascaded graphic will make better use of the space and therefore can be much larger. Plus it's way cooler. :D

A left to right graphic, like my 2nd or your first especially, would need to be about 6" tall by 48" wide. Whereas a cascaded graphic could be more like 36" tall by 36" wide. I think it would go better with the gigantic motorgen lettering on the side of the car.

SeanPlunk 01-05-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 12605)

I know it's not nicely done, and it would need to be redone by someone who knows their way around photshop, not someone who spends an hour in paint with a pencil and eraser in zoom mode.

But, I really like the idea of a cascading graphic. I invision a large logo on the center of the hood, underneath the clear coat. And a cascaded graphic will make better use of the space and therefore can be much larger. Plus it's way cooler. :D

A left to right graphic, like my 2nd or your first especially, would need to be about 6" tall by 48" wide. Whereas a cascaded graphic could be more like 36" tall by 36" wide. I think it would go better with the gigantic motorgen lettering on the side of the car.

For the record I like all the logos so far :judge:

enkeivette 01-05-2009 01:22 PM

Ben! Reset the poll and tell everyone to vote again, people have yet to see the glory of my revised non-copyright infringement logo. :D

enkeivette 01-05-2009 01:25 PM

By the way Adam, do I have your consent to use your awesome art work in my sig? I'll pay you 10 cents on the dollar for every dollar that it makes. :smack:

Leedom 01-05-2009 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 12608)
By the way Adam, do I have your consent to use your awesome art work in my sig? I'll pay you 10 cents on the dollar for every dollar that it makes. :smack:

Make is 50 cents and it is a deal.:sm_laughing:

Leedom 01-05-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 12605)

Adam, I do understand the reason for your design and I do not think it in itself is a bad design. We could realistically use both. My design can be more of the side emblems and yours the hood graphic. Once I get some pictures of the profile of the car and such I got some paint ideas that would mirror Motorgen's design style. The first concept that I am thinking of would be easy for you to do.

enkeivette 01-05-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 12610)
Make is 50 cents and it is a deal.:sm_laughing:

:beer:

Maybe ditch the - and have the snake head closer and curve over the X. That would help keep it compact, and make the head bigger (that's what she said) to make Brtual happy.

BRUTAL64 01-05-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 12613)
:beer:

Maybe ditch the - and have the snake head closer and curve over the X. That would help keep it compact, and make the head bigger (that's what she said) to make Brtual happy.

Yes, you need to keep Brutal Happy!!!!!

Yes, a bigger head (she said it was too big already) and heavier lines on the snake--other wise it it is nearly perfect. Even in the long layout as is. :thumbs_up:

Adam I wish I had your talent.:drink:

I had a thought (yea I know:sm_up_there:) how about for a "another" emblem
You could use the top half of body and head and put the "RX" --each letter "R" on left side "X" on right side--in each back flap of the Cobra. I hope that made sense.

joedls 01-05-2009 02:36 PM

You must all cease and decist from produving any logos, emblems, badges, decals, etc. using the name, likeness, or any interpretation of "RX-Snake". I have not provided anyone with a license to use this "idea". If you would like to proceeed, I GOTTA GET PAID.

Vettezuki 01-05-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 12611)
. . . Once I get some pictures of the profile of the car and such I got some paint ideas that would mirror Motorgen's design style. The first concept that I am thinking of would be easy for you to do.

I'm all ears, but I also sort of have it on the brain for the car to be a blue pearl over white base with candy orange Motorgen lettering. See enkei's reference pics.

Vettezuki 01-05-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 12616)
You must all cease and decist from produving any logos, emblems, badges, decals, etc. using the name, likeness, or any interpretation of "RX-Snake". I have not provided anyone with a license to use this "idea". If you would like to proceeed, I GOTTA GET PAID.

Sean will give you two hugs.

Leedom 01-05-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 12615)
Yes, you need to keep Brutal Happy!!!!!

Yes, a bigger head (she said it was too big already) and heavier lines on the snake--other wise it it is nearly perfect. Even in the long layout as is. :thumbs_up:

Adam I wish I had your talent.:drink:

I had a thought (yea I know:sm_up_there:) how about for a "another" emblem
You could use the top half of body and head and put the "RX" --each letter "R" on left side "X" on right side--in each back flap of the Cobra. I hope that made sense.

Had to read it like 4 time but I got what you mean.

Leedom 01-05-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 12616)

I did not know that Joe worked for Ford too! :rolling:

joedls 01-05-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 12620)
I did not know that Joe worked for Ford too! :rolling:

I don't work for Ford, but I am the author of this copyrighted idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedls (Post 12168)
How about RX Snake?

BRUTAL64 01-05-2009 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 12619)
Had to read it like 4 time but I got what you mean.

See, I told everyone you were smart. Now, you just proved it. :laugh:

enkeivette 01-05-2009 04:36 PM

Adam, connect the dots.

Joedls, Adam has already claimed 50 cents on the dollar, that leaves you with... let's see, math... "Mom, what's 100 - 50?" "Oh sweetie, those are two completely different numbers."

210cc Pro Comp, expensive but I didn't look for very long.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pro-C...1%7C240%3A1318

351 Heads (Not sure if these will fit, what's the compatiability rule for SBFs?)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REBUI...1%7C240%3A1318