Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Motorgen Events (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Poll for July 10th Cruise (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29146)

Vettezuki 06-13-2011 05:20 PM

Poll for July 10th Cruise

Decided.

JULY - GMR, probably using the Small White Car route suggestion, which is quite a bit different than our usual I think.

AUGUST - ROT

This means ROT just get's pushed back a lil' and several guys who can't make July, who want to run ROT this summer can.

Peace.

-----------------------------------------------
OP
Well, we doubled up on ACH because May was a partial bust. So options.

kdracer73 06-13-2011 05:33 PM

I will be at Laguna Seca , running the Camaro around the track that weekend...I am out !

heypal 06-13-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdracer73 (Post 77117)
I will be at Laguna Seca , running the Camaro around the track that weekend...I am out !

Do tell...and pass the info along
...I think im in vegas that weekend

Redondo Jon 06-13-2011 06:03 PM

Rim of the World. Haven’t done that one yet.

The Dark Knight 06-13-2011 06:15 PM

Gmr! Gmr! Gmr!

AntiPerfS4 06-13-2011 06:33 PM

Whatever has the most turns and is the longest run ^_^

firstshadow 06-13-2011 07:08 PM

Voted GMR, much closer to me than the other options :)

BRUTAL64 06-13-2011 07:19 PM

Unfortunately I can only do local cause of gas. So...........:rolleyes:

Krwy 06-13-2011 07:39 PM

GMR is great in a huge group. No oncoming traffic on Glendora Ridge to worry about.

Shaolin Crane 06-13-2011 08:10 PM

ortega

Small White Car 06-13-2011 09:09 PM

Mountain Ave to Baldy Village, hang a left on Glendora Ridge Route to Glendora Mountain Rd. Do the back side to East Fork and then over to Azusa/39 and up to Crystal Lake, terrorize a campground for awhile and eat six dollar cheeseburgers there or head back down 39 to this little BBQ joint on San Gabriel I been really wanting to try out however they have street parking and a small lot in back of the place in what is primarily a residential 'hood. Reviews are pretty good but I'm understanding it may take a while to get fed. There's always In-N-Out just past the freeway too. Or, head back down 39, back over East Fork, back up the back side of GMR and over the front side and supper at The Hat on 66 in Glendora maybe...

Mmmm, wet fries and a pastrami!

:drool2:

Leedom 06-13-2011 10:55 PM

Do something I have done since I will be missing my first cruise in like 2 years (maybe even ever).

kdracer73 06-13-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heypal (Post 77118)
Do tell...and pass the info along
...I think im in vegas that weekend

I made a thread

http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28680

Vettezuki 06-13-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Small White Car (Post 77134)
Mountain Ave to Baldy Village, hang a left on Glendora Ridge Route to Glendora Mountain Rd. Do the back side to East Fork and then over to Azusa/39 and up to Crystal Lake, terrorize a campground for awhile and eat six dollar cheeseburgers there or head back down 39 to this little BBQ joint on San Gabriel I been really wanting to try out however they have street parking and a small lot in back of the place in what is primarily a residential 'hood. Reviews are pretty good but I'm understanding it may take a while to get fed. There's always In-N-Out just past the freeway too. Or, head back down 39, back over East Fork, back up the back side of GMR and over the front side and supper at The Hat on 66 in Glendora maybe...

Mmmm, wet fries and a pastrami!

:drool2:

Intriguing option intrigues. . . .

Perry 06-14-2011 12:30 AM

I would be down for any :). But GMR sounds really appealing after seeing pics of your guys last cruise there.

georgetek 06-14-2011 01:54 AM

Where is Rim of the World?

George

Vettezuki 06-14-2011 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgetek (Post 77158)
Where is Rim of the World?

George

San Bernadino mountains. Crestline, Running Springs, Lake Arrowhead, Big Bear Lake. I haven't been in years, but it's awesome.

JMak 06-14-2011 03:56 PM

Have already done GMR this year. Let's do Rim of The World so we are not doing the same boring stuff. It is nice to see new places.

JMak 06-14-2011 04:00 PM

Not sure if the actually route we take but looks like a good time for Rim of the World

http://www.myscenicdrives.com/drives...d-scenic-byway

Quoting
Description

Head through the San Bernardino Mountains, passing Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear Lake on your way from Phelan to Mentone. You can reach Phelan from I-15. If you are coming from the south, take the exit after 129 for CA-138.

For a short detour before starting the drive, head west on CA-138 to the Mormon Rocks (H1). Behind the Mormon Rocks Fire Station is a .5-mile trail through the desert that brings you to a bed of uplifted sandstone.

Heading east on CA-138 from here, you will soon arrive at the Cajon Pass Overlook (V1), where rail fans, photographers and history buffs come to experience the BNSF Railroad trains heading up the pass. The pass was created by movements of the San Andreas Fault and the rich geologic history is evident.

Continuing east on CA-138, you will reach the Silverwood Lake Overlook (V2) which provides a view onto the reservoir lake created in 1971 when Cedar Springs Dam was built. The nearby Silverwood Lake Recreation Area (H2) offers swimming, fishing, boating, hiking, and picnicking by the lake.

In 5-miles, the drive starts gaining elevation and meanders up and around the mountain. In 11 miles from Silverwood Lake, you arrive in Crestline and shortly after, the CA-138 joins up with the CA-18. This drive heads east on CA-18. Take advantage of the turnouts or the Baylis Park Picnic Area (H3) for a spectacular view of the San Bernardino Valley with the Santa Ana Mountains to the southwest and the San Jacintos Mountains to the southeast.

A short side-trip on CA-173 will lead you to Arrowhead Lake (W1). The lake is surrounded by trees and offers swimming and picnicking opportunities.

Continuing east, stop at Heaps Peak Arboretum (A1) where you can learn about the trees within the San Bernardino National Forest. The Arboretum is free although the Forest Service requires a $5 Adventure Pass to be displayed in your car windshield. There is a beautiful, one mile handicap and stroller accessible trail with Arizona cypress, giant sequoia, sugar, knobcone, and coulter pines, black oak, quaking aspen, white fir, and an array of wildflowers between March and October.

After Running Springs, consider a short side-trip on Keller Peak Road (T1). The twisty 4-mile road will bring you to the National Children’s Forest and Keller Peak Fire Lookout. The tower overlooks the 53,000 acres that burned in 1970 and the Children’s fundraising efforts to replant the area with trees.

Continuing on CA-18, Lake View Point (V6) offers a magnificent view of Big Bear Lake and the surrounding mountains. The road then leads to Big Bear Dam, where you can either continue on CA-18 for a south-view of the Big Bear Lake or head onto CA-38 for a north-view of the lake. Accessible from the north side, the Big Bear Solar Observatory (A2) rises from the lake like a robot. The world’s largest solar telescope, it studies solar power and the solar system. On the lake, you can enjoy swimming and boating. The Grout Bay Picnic Area (H4) offers a chance to see the birds of the area, including bald eagles. Again, your Adventure Pass is required to park here and on all national forest lands.

After the lake, head south on CA-138 which meanders down towards Mentone where this drive completes. Alternatively, continue on CA-18 for the Bear Lake Loop (T2) which will bring up around the San Bernardino Mountains to Victorville where you can reach the I-15.

At the end of the drive in Montone, consider heading south on CA-210 and then west to Joshua Tree National Park.

:thumbs_up:

georgetek 06-15-2011 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 77160)
San Bernadino mountains. Crestline, Running Springs, Lake Arrowhead, Big Bear Lake. I haven't been in years, but it's awesome.

Ok thanks. I voted for Rim but GMR was fun too.

George

sinaSRT-4 06-15-2011 07:04 PM

Voted for Rim of the world. Anyone know why the name was given to these mointain ranges?

Small White Car 06-15-2011 08:12 PM

Passing through Crestline in a large group will draw the attention of the local sheriff. 138 is a residential street in some places.

You have been warned.

funevox 06-16-2011 11:48 AM

vote for rim of the world

Redondo Jon 06-18-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leedom (Post 77140)
Do something I have done since I will be missing my first cruise in like 2 years (maybe even ever).

You’re right. I didn’t know you were out for this one and I’d forgotten that kdracer73 was going to Laguna Seca. (lucky bastard) Therefore, I’d like to change my vote from Rim of the World to GMR. (Admin. feel free to change my vote)

BOOSTMONSTR 06-22-2011 06:42 AM

I Say Rim For Sure! That Place Is Awesome.. Especially In A Rally Car In The Dirt Turn Offs.

BOOSTMONSTR 06-22-2011 07:21 AM

HERE IS THE ROUTE WE SHOULD TAKE. I'VE INCLUDED STARTING AND ENDING DESTINATIONS WITH PARKING LOTS LARGE ENOUGH TO ACCOMODATE ALL. I WAS BORED, SO I SPENT TIME ON THIS. LOL.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=AutoZone+near+East+40th+Street,+San+Ber nardino,+CA&daddr=CA-38+W%2FN+Shore+Dr+to:Baldwin+Lake+Rd+to:CA-38+W+to:Uncle+Howie's+Pizza,+Redlands,+CA&hl=en&ll =34.222023,-117.05246&spn=0.625669,0.883026&sll=34.163745,-117.282143&sspn=0.004891,0.006899&geocode=FShOCQId NW0C-SEliKA---FiJCk7sI7Z7VPDgDEU3Tnf9NVSYg%3BFaLnCgIdtIIH-Q%3BFWQRCwIdltAJ-Q%3BFfJmCQIdlIMI-Q%3BFQfcBwIdTBQE-SFFYcOhXhRiTSkb94AriFXbgDEWtNi9W8iXRw&mra=ls&z=10

blackax 06-22-2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redondo Jon (Post 77513)
You’re right. I didn’t know you were out for this one and I’d forgotten that kdracer73 was going to Laguna Seca. (lucky bastard) Therefore, I’d like to change my vote from Rim of the World to GMR. (Admin. feel free to change my vote)

I want to change my vote too. I can't make it this time and i really want to do rim of the world! so lets do GMR this month and rim next :P

AntiPerfS4 06-22-2011 09:25 AM

Rim of the world sounds fun, it's not like this is the last cruise we are going to do so we can do GMR next month.

Vettezuki 06-22-2011 01:37 PM

FTR, I'm leaning towards GMR for July and ROT of for August. Mostly in deference to Leedom, whose made more cruises than anyone, including me and Sean. However, maybe mix up the GMR route a little a la Small White Car's suggestion. This is my present thinking.

JMak 06-22-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 77728)
FTR, I'm leaning towards GMR for July and ROT of for August. Mostly in deference to Leedom, whose made more cruises than anyone, including me and Sean. However, maybe mix up the GMR route a little a la Small White Car's suggestion. This is my present thinking.

That is pretty crappy, you put a poll up and ROT wins but yet you go with something else. Why make a freakin poll then? If you want to do things your way than just do it but don't ask for the masses opinions and then go with something else. :judge:

I have very much enjoyed coming out with you guys since I have moved here and have done every run except last one since I have been here. But you guys sometimes lack some major organization from changing routes at the last minute, changing meeting places and now don't even follow your poll. Just my 2 cents but get organized and your will have a better following than the already great one that you have now.

We just did GMR a couple of months ago, just does not make any sense to me. :inout:

SeanPlunk 06-22-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMak (Post 77767)
That is pretty crappy, you put a poll up and ROT wins but yet you go with something else. Why make a freakin poll then? If you want to do things your way than just do it but don't ask for the masses opinions and then go with something else. :judge:

I have very much enjoyed coming out with you guys since I have moved here and have done every run except last one since I have been here. But you guys sometimes lack some major organization from changing routes at the last minute, changing meeting places and now don't even follow your poll. Just my 2 cents but get organized and your will have a better following than the already great one that you have now.

We just did GMR a couple of months ago, just does not make any sense to me. :inout:

The route/start point changes the last couple months were a result of the ever changing road situation on Angeles Crest. That was a special circumstance and is just the nature of the beast up there.

Vettezuki 06-22-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

I can understand some frustration with what appears to be an arbitrary process on the surface, but let me offer some inside baseball. We use polls to help guide decision making. It's not a purely democratic process. :sm_laughing:

NOTE:
- The spread between GMR and ROT for July is not massive, and this does not include some of the votes changing their mind from ROT to GMR. If ROT dominated by like a 2:1 margin, it would be a different story. It's virtually tied.
- Additional consideration is given to long time MG users who make requests like "I can't make this month but want to go on X so please do something common this time around"
- We're not suggesting elimination of ROT, but simply bumping back one month. I've eliminated Palomar from consideration because nobody voted for it.
- Routes change when we get better information, or simply up to date correct information involving closures etc.

Small White Car 06-22-2011 09:56 PM

Just a little push...

FSR's and even phones work on the GMR run I outlined, that means you're able to scout ahead on this wonderful one lane road that goes between Baldy and GMR called Glendora Ridge Road and let folks know what's coming at you.

Plus!!!

And this is the big one...

I live in Whittier so if I don't have to drive a bunch just to go drive a bunch, I'll always choose that route.

But I digress...

:drive:

Small White Car 06-22-2011 10:00 PM

Anyone consider a Supercar Sunday/Malibu Canyon/Rockstore/Snake run any time?

I can shake out some great routes through there but they're well patrolled and Small (insert color here) Car friendly, some of you older, bigger guys might not have so much fun.

You been down Tuna Canyon, yeah?

:penguin:

Vettezuki 06-22-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Small White Car (Post 77774)

I can shake out some great routes through there but they're well patrolled and Small (insert color here) Car friendly, some of you older, bigger guys might not have so much fun.

Tuna Canyon? No. Cook some up and put them in another thread and we'll put them on the calendar.

Vettezuki 06-22-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

That is pretty crappy, you put a poll up and ROT wins but yet you go with something else. Why make a freakin poll then? If you want to do things your way than just do it but don't ask for the masses opinions and then go with something else. :judge: . .

Well, actually, after switching the votes of blackax and Redondo Jon, GMR narrowly edges out ROT. I should have done so before mentioning changing schedules. My bad.

Don't get me wrong, you're point about being clear, consistent, and organized is not lost on me. We strive to be so and and to be as accommodating and inclusive as possible.

Kozak 06-23-2011 01:33 AM

Quote:

Doesn't sound dirty to anyone else? :rolling:

landshark99 06-23-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

there are also
Old Topanga
Piuma,
Stunt Rd
Piuma,
Cold Canyon
Decker Canyon
Latigo Canyon

all are fun roads

landshark99 06-23-2011 11:00 AM

These are also great roads in the north part of the county
Little Tujunga Canyon
Lake Hughes Road
San Francisquito Canyon
Bouquet Canyon Rd

georgetek 06-23-2011 02:23 PM

I'd like to change my vote to Don't give a good goddamn. I'll go wherever. :thumbs_up:

George