Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums

Motorgen - Automotive Events, Meets, Cruises and Forums (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/index.php)
-   Import (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Most iconic Japanese car? (http://www.motorgen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12022)

SeanPlunk 01-11-2010 07:35 PM

Most iconic Japanese car?

This one is harder than the American. I think it might be the Skyline or maybe the Z cars? Thoughts?

Vettezuki 01-11-2010 08:36 PM

Skyline. Period. Starting with its legendary history.

jedhead 01-11-2010 08:40 PM

1968-1974 Datsun 510. This car changed the way the world thought about Japanese cars. A sedan that went head to head with the best sports sedans in the world, Alfa-Romeo and BMW to name some, and came out on top in competition. The suspension and engine was the basis for the 240Z that came later.

Bob

Vettezuki 01-11-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedhead (Post 42274)
1968-1974 Datsun 510. This car changed the way the world thought about Japanese cars. A sedan that went head to head with the best sports sedans in the world, Alfa-Romeo and BMW to name some, and came out on top in competition. The suspension and engine was the basis for the 240Z that came later.

Bob

That's important, not iconic. :)

SeanPlunk 01-11-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 42272)
Skyline. Period. Starting with its legendary history.

Yeah, the history is pretty amazing actually.

Damian 01-11-2010 10:04 PM

Skyline hands down.

BRUTAL64 01-11-2010 11:11 PM

240z

st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* 01-12-2010 10:47 AM

im gonna throw in my bid for the evo line up.

i feel like it embodies everything people dont think of a japanese car as being, but pulls off.

-supercar performing quality parts for a budget price
-good performance car styling
-awd
-could out handle almost all supercar's
-kept getting better each incarnation too date
-18 year consistant model run sense 1992
-driving experience that you couldnt get out of a car till u spent 6 digits
-had a warrenty
-left a mark in several motorsports
-jeremy clarkson owns one - that should say something
-had 4 door's, seats 5 people, still has its econo car roots
-the best out of pocket expence to power gain ratio of any car.
-its stayed constant to its core market of consumer's wanting performance on a budget sense day 1, none of this lets make the new model twice what its worth and aim it at a new market business.

so everything i listed above could probably compete with the skylines list, to be the most iconic jap car.

but here are the last 2 things i forgot to mention, that i feel push the evo over the skyline as the most iconic japanese car.

-use of a historic engine the 4g63, that has consistantly been around in one form or another sense 1983. so a 24 year old "iron" block that kept improving and setting records and win's, and has shown to hold up to 600hp+ in factory form.

and second

- the 4g63 is a "4 CYL" engine

when thinking of japanese car's and they engine's what first pops into your head.....4 cylinder's not 6 that switch from inline to a V configuration.

if someone out due my claim with another car. ill paypal them $5, if someone can make a good argument and make me switch my answer to the skyline ill paypal them $10

GAME ON!!!

SeanPlunk 01-12-2010 10:58 AM

Cornfed,

I think you make an excellent case. I think part of the problem for me in deciding is how few of the cars we're talking about have made it over to the states. We didn't get our first Evo until 2003, so it didn't pop into my head as having too much longevity.

Vettezuki 01-12-2010 11:38 AM

Cornfed,

I don't think a car that started in the 80s can really achieve the level of "icon" under any circumstance. The Evo is a magnificent car and it's clearly iconic for your generation, but not on the grand scale IMO.

eric97srad 01-12-2010 11:51 AM

I'm gunna go ahead and throw in the Supra... I think they are easily the most recognizable japanese sports cars to date even by non-enthusiasts. Granted, production didn't start until quite a bit after the Z cars, and on the performance level I think they are way over-hyped, but you can't deny the success of that car.

st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* 01-12-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 42335)
Cornfed,

I don't think a car that started in the 80s can really achieve the level of "icon" under any circumstance. The Evo is a magnificent car and it's clearly iconic for your generation, but not on the grand scale IMO.

if you wanna take a deeper looking into the evo lineage and go for the subject wording of lancer-to-evo or lancer/evo or just lancer. you will come to find that the lancer started life in 1973 and was competing in rally's it was released in the US in 1977 as the dodge colt. for a couple of years, before they switch that up to another chassis in the dodge/chrystler/mitsu clusterfuk of naming confusion that they like to do.

threw a long, confusing lineage the lancer-to-lancer evo family has been around and a performing sports car. it has history in the same way the skyline has, given the skyline lineage is still slightly older but by only a few year's.

so my claim still stands :bigthumbsup:

Vettezuki 01-12-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* (Post 42363)
. . . it has history in the same way the skyline has, given the skyline lineage is still slightly older but by only a few year's. . . .

Uh, 1957 vs. 1973 (being generous) is not exactly "only a few years." And the Skyline was racing against and holding its own against the Europeans early on. In later years it was categorically dominant in some racing series, to the point where rules were enacted to effectively eliminate them from competition.

Vettezuki 01-12-2010 03:59 PM

Maybe it's sorta like in the American section.

Skyline = Corvette
Evo = Mustang

However, while I supported the Mustang in the American section, I'll take the Skyline in the Japanese section as most Iconic.

BRUTAL64 01-12-2010 04:05 PM

You know the more I think about it--The Honda Civic (1974).:p

Vettezuki 01-12-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 42372)
You know the more I think about it--The Honda Civic (1974).:p

That was hella important for sure.

st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* 01-12-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 42369)
Uh, 1957 vs. 1973 (being generous) is not exactly "only a few years." And the Skyline was racing against and holding its own against the Europeans early on. In later years it was categorically dominant in some racing series, to the point where rules were enacted to effectively eliminate them from competition.

ya a few year's may have been slightly used out of the norm.

what would your requirements be for a car to be an icon?

brutal did throw in a good contender

*i think the Z's should be taken out or explained a little better to me because they wherent a car so much as a line up within a lineup. kinda like the wu-tang clan way to many of them and rotating to count as a single icon.

*and the supra should be taken out and because it falls a little short on the history. starting at only 1979

*the evo should be changed to lancer

*civic should be thrown up.

*and for the final contestant i believe the RX line of rotory cars from mazda should be thrown into the mix. especially after you statement of racing rules having been created to get the rotory engine kicked out of some motorsports

Vettezuki 01-12-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* (Post 42385)
ya a few year's may have been slightly used out of the norm.

what would your requirements be for a car to be an icon?

brutal did throw in a good contender

*i think the Z's should be taken out or explained a little better to me because they wherent a car so much as a line up within a lineup. kinda like the wu-tang clan way to many of them and rotating to count as a single icon.

*and the supra should be taken out and because it falls a little short on the history. starting at only 1979

*the evo should be changed to lancer

*civic should be thrown up.

*and for the final contestant i believe the RX line of rotory cars from mazda should be thrown into the mix. especially after you statement of racing rules having been created to get the rotory engine kicked out of some motorsports

I think your consideration of the Lancer (Evo) is perfectly valid. Just arguing. Good call on the RX series.

st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* 01-12-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vettezuki (Post 42390)
I think your consideration of the Lancer (Evo) is perfectly valid. Just arguing. Good call on the RX series.

thank you now lets get more people on this thread. i think its a very good debate. more so then the american iconic car thread. being as how most of us know is limited to the vette, pony car, and camaro. with the vette and mustang riding high.

the japanese iconic car is alot more for us to think about.

also make a euro iconic car thread or maybe split it to an english, german, italian, or euro and supercar catagories.

and i got this idea from a top gear episode...made a thread on the most iconic car maker as a whole! :-) *this one should be fun*

big2bird 01-13-2010 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 42293)
240z

Yep.

enkeivette 01-13-2010 12:07 PM

Skyline R-34, no more hype about any Jap car ever. The Supra was sexier IMO, but in any Jap racing video, the Supra always bows down to the Skyline in the end.

BADDASSC6 01-13-2010 04:43 PM

In order:
Skyline
Z cars
Supra
Rotary

Hondas never really mattered.:(

SeanPlunk 01-13-2010 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 42476)
In order:
Skyline
Z cars
Supra
Rotary

Hondas never really mattered.:(

LOL, Honda's are really well made cars. My family has owned many of them and never had a lemon. Having said that, to me their current lineup is uninspired at best. And don't even get me started on Acura's designs - I can't figure out what the hell they're doing.

I still love me some S2000 though :drool2:

big2bird 01-13-2010 10:30 PM

Icon implies infamous. I am 55, and remember the impact the Z car had in the so cal scene in the 70s. The rotary caused quite the stir, then fizzled. Honda was thought of like Hyndai is today.
Untill I read this thread, I never even heard of a Syline, so icon it's not.

SeanPlunk 01-13-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big2bird (Post 42507)
Icon implies infamous. I am 55, and remember the impact the Z car had in the so cal scene in the 70s. The rotary caused quite the stir, then fizzled. Honda was thought of like Hyndai is today.

Your point is very valid - the first Skyline we have seen in the states is the current one :huh:

The Z's have been around for a very long time.

BRUTAL64 01-14-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

So true. The first jap car I ever rode in was a 69 Toyota. The VW beetle was better thought of than the Toyota back then. I remember hearing back then that Honda was going to make cars. My thoughts were "That'll be a piece of crap.":smack:

enkeivette 01-14-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Datsun Z with a rotary?

BADDASSC6 01-14-2010 04:05 PM

Sean,
Just because you had hondas doesn't mean that they matter or anybody cares.:( THey are still open deck shit boxes. S2000 suck too. They pretty much stripped the SRT-4s crown for off throttle spins into walls.
CNJ

Vettezuki 01-14-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 42566)
. . . S2000 suck too. They pretty much stripped the SRT-4s crown for off throttle spins into walls.

Why that dynamic? I know why the old 911s used to go ass end into everything, but the S2000? Snap over steer? Never heard that before.

Throttle Crazy 01-14-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 42551)
Datsun Z with a rotary?

I think he was stating that the Mazda rotory came in and fizzled out, but the z car remained popular.

Throttle Crazy 01-14-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

I agree 100%. I know alot of people including myself that had never even heard of a Skyline until it hit video games in the late 80's early 90's. The Z cars made a much larger impact (at least in the U.S.). When I think of icon, I think of great significance and definitely legendary, the Z cars are both.

BRIAN 01-14-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 42476)
In order:
Skyline
Z cars
Supra
Rotary

Basically listed most expensive to least.

Quote:

Originally Posted by st-evo-9*corn fed-8urvet* (Post 42385)

The Supra begins it's life in 65' with the 2000GT.

This topic is subjective to us here on this side of the Pacific but putting myself in there shoes I vote for the Skyline. I'm not motivated to argue as I see remarkable success in each auto respectively. God willing I would get my hands on each and everyone one of them.

SeanPlunk 01-14-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 (Post 42566)
Sean,
Just because you had hondas doesn't mean that they matter or anybody cares.:( THey are still open deck shit boxes. S2000 suck too. They pretty much stripped the SRT-4s crown for off throttle spins into walls.
CNJ

I think you're judging them only by track performance. I'm judging them in a more overall sense. I think that Honda makes great vehicles overall. They're high quality, reliable, and get great mileage.

I also think the S2000 is an excellent performance vehicle. It has all the qualities listed above, has by all accounts one of slickest shifting gearboxes ever, and looks good. Would I choose an S2000 for an all out track car? The answer is no. I agree that for track purposes a Vette is definitely the best bang for buck. That doesn't mean the S2000 is a shit box though.

enkeivette 01-14-2010 07:00 PM

Someone answer Adam now! What's a Z car? Datsun Z?

SeanPlunk 01-14-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 42587)
Someone answer Adam now! What's a Z car? Datsun Z?

This.

enkeivette 01-14-2010 07:34 PM

Thanks, that's what I thought. No, those don't win.

BRUTAL64 01-14-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 42593)
Thanks, that's what I thought. No, those don't win.

Yes, they do.:p:inout:

enkeivette 01-14-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 (Post 42598)
Yes, they do.:p:inout:

No they don't times infinity plus one!

big2bird 01-14-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 42602)
No they don't times infinity plus one!

That's it. "Double secret probation for you."

big2bird 01-14-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanPlunk (Post 42584)
I think you're judging them only by track performance. I'm judging them in a more overall sense. I think that Honda makes great vehicles overall. They're high quality, reliable, and get great mileage. So do Chrysler Minivans.

They also make great lawn mowers.:jester:

I am surprised that you have not brought up the fact that Honda builds all the Indy Car engines anymore.